1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:
A Durn Good Truck
By Kenstar on 02/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XL 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I used this truck for towing my motorcycle trailer and for general all- around driving. It has been highly reliable and functional. I bought the smaller V-8 thinking it would get better mileage than the larger engine. It didn't and that was disappointing. A great around truck, but not good for large range commuting because of the mileage (about 13.5 MPG).

My F-150 named Judy
By fordguy81 on 02/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I've owned this truck since it was a year and a half old, it had 30,500 miles on it when i bought it and have had only 2 occasions to ever have it in the shop for mechanical reasons other than routine maint. I'm exceptionally pleased with this truck and would only hope that my next is as reliable and as good a truck.

Ford F-150 = The most reliability ever!!
By Fordlvr on 02/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

We got this truck in february of 2002 and it is february 11 2004 and we have not had 1 problem except for the dual exhaust breaking, and thats it, the 4.6 V8 sounds awsome up in the 5,000k's and it rides smooth like a car, the 6 cd changer is a great amentity and the speakers are impossible to blow and sound great. the truck is at 114k now and runs like brand spanking new, if you see one of these trucks for sale and you need a truck, HERE you go, buy it.... Ford TOUGH

X GM Man
By Former GM owner on 12/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

What was I thinking? I grew up with the old man driving Fords,but after I left the house I switched to Chevy. After buying this 98 I realize what I was missing out on.Build and quality are FAR superior to anything with a bow tie or sheeps horn.Interior is night and day difference,and at 122k miles drives much tighter than my brothers 2001 Chevy with 65k miles.I would only go back to a GM truck becuase I am more familiar with the powertrains,but only because they needed a little of TLC for maintenance.I have the 4.6 with police engine(bought for state use originally),and think power is good.

Discouraged
By Why me on 12/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

Tires went at 35000, new brakes about the same time. U-joints replaced at 40000, and 10000 later the rear-end needed new gears and spline replacement. The backend feels like it is going to drop out during normal acceleration at stop lights. The rear window doesn't seal well and dust is a problem along with water. Not giving up the ghost yet...Thank God for the extended warranty.

After 5 years
By carlwm on 11/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XL 3dr Extended Cab SB

The only proble ever experienced was a minor adjustment in transmission shifting that was under warranty. Extremely solid, reliable, safe, vehicle. Drives even better when loaded. V6 has plenty of pep and torque. Unless towing a LARGE trailer, V6 is all that is needed. People who buy V8 waste money.

MY BABE
By speed demon on 08/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

GRATE TRUCK, SINCE I GOT IT NO PROBLES AT ALL.

1998 XLT F150 Ext. Cab w/ 3rd Door
By T/R S on 08/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

In November, 2003, our F-150 will be 5 years old. At first we had a problem with the sensor that tells whether a door is open/closed and above lights on/off. The F-150 was still under warranty, so they fixed it and it has never happened again. We have 120,000 miles on it and have never had any other problems, until 115,000 miles and the alterernator went out. It has been a tough truck and we haul big loads of pigs, and it's still going strong. doesn't

By K. Medlin on 07/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

119000 miles with no problems except for alternator replaced at 60,000. Goodyear AT tires were original equipment. I got 64K on first set of tires and still riding on 2nd set.

Quality is NOT job one at Ford
By PMed on 03/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XL 3dr Extended Cab SB

I really like my F 150 and have believed that Ford has always produced a superior truck. However, to my surprise, shortly after the warranty expired, I have had to replace the rear axle seals and a tie rod end which happened to shear off and punch through the drive side rim at 5 kilometers per hour (good thing I wasn't travelling any faster. Surprise, FORD has yet to recall this vehicle for this problem. I have been told by numerous TOW TRUCK operators that this SAFETY Concern is a common occurrence.