Used 1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews - 61 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Tougher than any other trucks
By GeorgeM

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I bought this truck with 10,000 miles on it and it all started there. I tow 10,500 lb. trailers, hunt, fish, go to the beach with my truck and use my 4wd quite a bit. And it always gets me home. With a grand total of 152,045 miles on the odometer I feel it's just getting warmed up. All ive ever had to do was replace a window lock switch back in 99. I drive her a bit hard, use that 5.4 Triton like it's supposed to be used. My transmission is rock solid and so is the motor. I change my oil every 3,000 miles and transmission fluid every 30,000. Ford trucks are tough. Ive had some Dodges do the same but Fords are great.

Power, rock solid reliability, capabilities, great payload, nice 4x4 system, comfortable seats.

I guess gas mileage. I get 18mpg on the highway, but they've already fixed that with the new ones. Thanks for for making such a solid vehicle.

F150 Lariat
By gil

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Lariat 3dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

Bought used. Have driven for 5 years and no major repairs not covered by warranty. Fuel economy not good but improved with K&N filter. Pull trailer with 2 ATV's and have no problem with 4.6. Paint still looks and shines like new; constantly getting compliments and offers. Would definitely buy another Ford truck.

Comfort and handling and appearance.

Better fuel economy.

Ford Tough
By aaron

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

This isn't my first Ford truck, and I've been very happy with them. I am a country boy and I'm probably harder on my trucks than most people. This truck drives circles around my brother's Silverado out in the muddy fields, and I have had less repairs than he has. The only major repair has been a new clutch, which was my fault. I down graded from the 5.4 to the 4.6 this truck, and wish I had my 5.4 back. This is still a tough truck that is built solid.

I am a fan of the manual transmission, wish you could still get them in the new trucks.

Better rust protection on the bottom of doors and a little more load capabilities for the rear suspension.

Don't buy the 4.2 V6
By Pete

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XL 3dr Extended Cab SB

I had this truck for 7 years and it's been reliable until it reached 89,000 miles. Both head gaskets blew, but I found out this is a very common problem for 97-99 F150's with the 4.2 V6. STAY AWAY FROM THE 4.2!

Redesign the 4.2 engine with better head gaskets and intake manifold gaskets

165,000 Miles & Strong
By Roxanne

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Most reliable, trustworthy vehicle I have ever owned. As original owner and at 165K, I have had less than $1,000 in repairs in 8 years. Maintenance costs have been very reasonable. Mine is a manual with V6 -- gets about 17 mpg city & 20 mpg highway. Highly recommend this over the Silverado. Still has tight steering, great suspension, great ride, no rattles -- after many camping trips on unmaintained roads.

The '98 extended cab seats fold into a flat platform -- great place for dogs and cargo.

It's a truck. Can I ask for 30 mpg?