Used 1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Tougher than any other trucks
By GeorgeM

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I bought this truck with 10,000 miles on it and it all started there. I tow 10,500 lb. trailers, hunt, fish, go to the beach with my truck and use my 4wd quite a bit. And it always gets me home. With a grand total of 152,045 miles on the odometer I feel it's just getting warmed up. All ive ever had to do was replace a window lock switch back in 99. I drive her a bit hard, use that 5.4 Triton like it's supposed to be used. My transmission is rock solid and so is the motor. I change my oil every 3,000 miles and transmission fluid every 30,000. Ford trucks are tough. Ive had some Dodges do the same but Fords are great.

Favorite Features

Power, rock solid reliability, capabilities, great payload, nice 4x4 system, comfortable seats.

Suggested Improvements

I guess gas mileage. I get 18mpg on the highway, but they've already fixed that with the new ones. Thanks for for making such a solid vehicle.

1998 Best by Far for Ford
By Ford Man

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I have a 1998 Ford F-150 4.6L 2wd. This truck has been through thick and thin as a farm truck. I have pulled my round bailer with ease. I still have the truck and plan on giving it to my son soon. This truck still has some get up and go and can still jump when you press the pedal to the floor. I think I forgot to mention that it has 375,419 miles on it. I haven't had to swap or do anything at all to the engine or the transmission, and it doesn't look like I will have to anytime soon either. I have had Chevy's but they do not have near as much as my Ford right now. I will tell you right now that 1998 must have been a good year for Ford. The only thing I have had to change is the oil, & tires.

Favorite Features

The style, performance, and never leaves you stranded

Suggested Improvements

Gas economy (Just like any other V8 truck), and the door seals

Best vehicle I've ever owned
By EileenJG

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Love this truck. I've got 156,000 miles on it now and intend to keep it for a long, long while. Pulls my 17' travel trailer with ease. Repairs have been just the usual maintenance. When I buy again, it'll be another F150.

Nice Truck
By Dan

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I like the truck very much. Very nice looking truck inside and out. Drives great, comfortable and performs very well. Could get better gas mileage, but it's worth it.

Favorite Features

I just plain ol` like my truck.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel Economy!

Excellent Truck
By carambo

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I have had many Fords but this truck has been the best. Very very few repairs except those from wear and tear like oil change. I live in the woods so it gets a beating and holds up. I get about 21 mpg driving while my husband gets about 18 mpg with this truck. I truly love this truck and don't want to trade it in for a more fuel efficient vehicle!

Favorite Features

Manual transmission. I don't want an automatic!

Suggested Improvements

The bottom of the truck has a few rust spots therefore a better rust proofing!