1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:
Most reliable automobile I have owned
By onceamarine on 01/24/08 14:57 PM (PST)

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my F150 in 2001 and now 7 years later I am still happy with it. I have not had any major repairs to mess with, and it shows no sign of needing any in the near future. It gets truck mpg, which stinks for any truck owner these days. The paint and body still look great. Only having three doors means I am going to have to sell it soon, with kid #2 on the way. I am sure going to miss it, and will be buying a newer 4 door F150.

For resale
By rqlph duncan on 10/06/07 12:17 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

We have owned this Ford pickup for 10 years with no problems concerning the practicle usage and pleasure trips.

love my 98 F-150
By Bonnie on 10/05/06 18:15 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased this truck in 2000, fell in love with it the first time I drove it. I still love my truck, wish this body style would come back. DO NOT like the 2004 and newer body style of the F-150/F-250. I still get compliments on my truck but I now have 94,324 miles on it. When I bought the truck it came with air bags over the rear tires which really helps when we RV tow, pick up gravel or other heavy loads. It's been a GREAT TRUCK! I still have it but am considering stepping up to a 3/4 ton. Sure wish FORD would bring back the 2000 body style. I added a magna flow exhaust on it (sounds great) My truck turns many a heads!

Nice Truck
By Dan on 05/27/06 05:55 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I like the truck very much. Very nice looking truck inside and out. Drives great, comfortable and performs very well. Could get better gas mileage, but it's worth it.

Tougher than any other trucks
By GeorgeM on 05/26/06 14:32 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I bought this truck with 10,000 miles on it and it all started there. I tow 10,500 lb. trailers, hunt, fish, go to the beach with my truck and use my 4wd quite a bit. And it always gets me home. With a grand total of 152,045 miles on the odometer I feel it's just getting warmed up. All ive ever had to do was replace a window lock switch back in 99. I drive her a bit hard, use that 5.4 Triton like it's supposed to be used. My transmission is rock solid and so is the motor. I change my oil every 3,000 miles and transmission fluid every 30,000. Ford trucks are tough. Ive had some Dodges do the same but Fords are great.

F150 Lariat
By gil on 02/21/06 20:04 PM (PST)

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Lariat 3dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

Bought used. Have driven for 5 years and no major repairs not covered by warranty. Fuel economy not good but improved with K&N filter. Pull trailer with 2 ATV's and have no problem with 4.6. Paint still looks and shines like new; constantly getting compliments and offers. Would definitely buy another Ford truck.

Ford Tough
By aaron on 01/26/06 14:01 PM (PST)

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

This isn't my first Ford truck, and I've been very happy with them. I am a country boy and I'm probably harder on my trucks than most people. This truck drives circles around my brother's Silverado out in the muddy fields, and I have had less repairs than he has. The only major repair has been a new clutch, which was my fault. I down graded from the 5.4 to the 4.6 this truck, and wish I had my 5.4 back. This is still a tough truck that is built solid.

Don't buy the 4.2 V6
By Pete on 09/13/05 22:47 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XL 3dr Extended Cab SB

I had this truck for 7 years and it's been reliable until it reached 89,000 miles. Both head gaskets blew, but I found out this is a very common problem for 97-99 F150's with the 4.2 V6. STAY AWAY FROM THE 4.2!

165,000 Miles & Strong
By Roxanne on 08/28/05 20:33 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Most reliable, trustworthy vehicle I have ever owned. As original owner and at 165K, I have had less than $1,000 in repairs in 8 years. Maintenance costs have been very reasonable. Mine is a manual with V6 -- gets about 17 mpg city & 20 mpg highway. Highly recommend this over the Silverado. Still has tight steering, great suspension, great ride, no rattles -- after many camping trips on unmaintained roads.

F-150
By jc on 08/21/05 11:51 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I've always owned pickup's and bought this F-150 (my first Ford) in '02. The best truck I've ever owned. Used for commuting and it was a pleasure to drive, even for a 5-speed. Had 90,000 miles and the original clutch. I'm sold and will always drive an F-150.