Used 1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

never let's me down
By Eric

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab LB

I have used my truck for daily drive of 50+ miles for 5 years, plus hauling mulch, wood, moving- whatever I need it makes it happen. I have 2wd and living in VA I have never even needed 4wd in the snow. I am not good to vehicles and have only had to replace normal wear and tear. Some of the bottom of the doors has been starting to rust, but I just put on more rustoleum and keep going. About 2 years in I added a KN cold air intake and a flowmaster duel exhaust and this gives me about 3/4 extra MPG and sounds AWESOME! Overall it is one of those vehicles that you never have a doubt if she will start up- I would never part with my truck until she decides to go.

Interior and Exterior styling holds up. Love the power of the 5.4l. So much room in the back seat also.

The tires and brakes seem to wear a little early, but that may be the driver.

Reliability 100%
By Zowy

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Lariat 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

It's all about reliability. Powerful at low speed. So much torque. Awesome 4x4. Large cargo area. Not so much repair cost. Very easy to find out used parts. VERY Reliable. This is my second F150. For sure will have it for many years.

4x4 capability (a lot of fun!) Very good engine sound (with the help of a Super Turbo Dynomax muffler)

MORE POWER please!

1998 Best by Far for Ford
By Ford Man

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I have a 1998 Ford F-150 4.6L 2wd. This truck has been through thick and thin as a farm truck. I have pulled my round bailer with ease. I still have the truck and plan on giving it to my son soon. This truck still has some get up and go and can still jump when you press the pedal to the floor. I think I forgot to mention that it has 375,419 miles on it. I haven't had to swap or do anything at all to the engine or the transmission, and it doesn't look like I will have to anytime soon either. I have had Chevy's but they do not have near as much as my Ford right now. I will tell you right now that 1998 must have been a good year for Ford. The only thing I have had to change is the oil, & tires.

The style, performance, and never leaves you stranded

Gas economy (Just like any other V8 truck), and the door seals

280k miles!
By llamar

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Lariat 3dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck from the orginal owner about 6 months ago. I wasn't so sure because of the miles but has no problems. I have put around 10k miles and no problems! Original owner says has never even had the alternator replaced! Has had new ball joints but only because of the miles. It now has 280k+ Great mpg for truck at 20mpg and still driving. I trust it to go anywhere! I used to be die hard Chevy. Now I am looking to buy a Ford Expedition, maybe it will be as trustworthy

3rd door

Putting the rear door on the driver side

4.2L and still going
By RC

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I found this truck used last year and my wife just about killed me when I brought it home. Currently I have 272,000 plus miles on the original engine and transmission. I've pulled up to 25ft campers and up to 32ft boats with this truck. I've filled the bed with wood and it just keeps going. The body is excellent even after being backed into by an Envoy. The dent just popped out. I've replaced the tailgate handle, steering gear, and transmission oil cooler lines(all over 250K). I can't say enough about this truck. At 272k it still runs, drives, and shifts great and is still a good looking truck. Ford will be my next truck as well.

Rear seat fold down for a solid flat surface. Comfortable seats. Lighted controls even the power windows. Body. Lots of cup holders and 12V power outlets.

Armrest for captain's chairs break easily. Bed tie downs. Brake controller prewiring.

• SUV