Used 1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Reliability 100%
By Zowy

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Lariat 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

It's all about reliability. Powerful at low speed. So much torque. Awesome 4x4. Large cargo area. Not so much repair cost. Very easy to find out used parts. VERY Reliable. This is my second F150. For sure will have it for many years.

Favorite Features

4x4 capability (a lot of fun!) Very good engine sound (with the help of a Super Turbo Dynomax muffler)

Suggested Improvements

MORE POWER please!

1998 Best by Far for Ford
By Ford Man

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I have a 1998 Ford F-150 4.6L 2wd. This truck has been through thick and thin as a farm truck. I have pulled my round bailer with ease. I still have the truck and plan on giving it to my son soon. This truck still has some get up and go and can still jump when you press the pedal to the floor. I think I forgot to mention that it has 375,419 miles on it. I haven't had to swap or do anything at all to the engine or the transmission, and it doesn't look like I will have to anytime soon either. I have had Chevy's but they do not have near as much as my Ford right now. I will tell you right now that 1998 must have been a good year for Ford. The only thing I have had to change is the oil, & tires.

Favorite Features

The style, performance, and never leaves you stranded

Suggested Improvements

Gas economy (Just like any other V8 truck), and the door seals

280k miles!
By llamar

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Lariat 3dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck from the orginal owner about 6 months ago. I wasn't so sure because of the miles but has no problems. I have put around 10k miles and no problems! Original owner says has never even had the alternator replaced! Has had new ball joints but only because of the miles. It now has 280k+ Great mpg for truck at 20mpg and still driving. I trust it to go anywhere! I used to be die hard Chevy. Now I am looking to buy a Ford Expedition, maybe it will be as trustworthy

Favorite Features

3rd door

Suggested Improvements

Putting the rear door on the driver side

4.2L and still going
By RC

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I found this truck used last year and my wife just about killed me when I brought it home. Currently I have 272,000 plus miles on the original engine and transmission. I've pulled up to 25ft campers and up to 32ft boats with this truck. I've filled the bed with wood and it just keeps going. The body is excellent even after being backed into by an Envoy. The dent just popped out. I've replaced the tailgate handle, steering gear, and transmission oil cooler lines(all over 250K). I can't say enough about this truck. At 272k it still runs, drives, and shifts great and is still a good looking truck. Ford will be my next truck as well.

Favorite Features

Rear seat fold down for a solid flat surface. Comfortable seats. Lighted controls even the power windows. Body. Lots of cup holders and 12V power outlets.

Suggested Improvements

Armrest for captain's chairs break easily. Bed tie downs. Brake controller prewiring.

Excellent Truck
By carambo

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I have had many Fords but this truck has been the best. Very very few repairs except those from wear and tear like oil change. I live in the woods so it gets a beating and holds up. I get about 21 mpg driving while my husband gets about 18 mpg with this truck. I truly love this truck and don't want to trade it in for a more fuel efficient vehicle!

Favorite Features

Manual transmission. I don't want an automatic!

Suggested Improvements

The bottom of the truck has a few rust spots therefore a better rust proofing!