Used 1998 Ford F-150 XL Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Hello fellow Fordeneirs
By Daniel

1998 Ford F-150 Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought the truck with 169,820. I put about 4200 mi on it since may 08. Gets about 20 hwy 15 cty, always starts, it's very peppy. I put a cherrybomb on it and eventually I will put 265/75/16 on a 2wd. I hoping it'll pay off in the winter. All in all great truck to own!

Looks, interoir design

None

10 years of excellent service
By kcokc

1998 Ford F-150 Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought new in August 98. XL 4.2 V6, 5- speed 3.55 axle, with XLT interior. TX/OK package. Reliability - one of the best vehicles I've owned. Never had a breakdown, only real repair was replacement of turn signal switch. Good power for a 6 cylinder, have towed way more than recommended limit for short distances. Only complaint is fuel economy (lack of). 15-16 MPG in urban driving, 20 on highway cruise at interstate speed. Owned two Chevy p/u's before, this F150 is better truck by far for a work vehicle/tough truck. Chevy's were more confortable, more economical to drive. Gonna miss the old ford when it goes to a new owner shortly. First Ford, was great choice!

Toughness, reliability. Good power for V6. Comfortable ride. Learned to like it's looks after a while.

Improve the fuel economy! Improve the rear wheel anti-lock brakes! Anti-lock kicks in just before you skid to a stop! Got tired of complaining, learned to live without any effective anti-lock feature. I'm sure later models have fixed both complaints.

Best Vehicle I've Owned
By Sam

1998 Ford F-150 Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck used; it was four years old then, and now I've had it four years. I've done nothing but routine inspections and change the oil and filters regularly. It has never been to the shop for anything. Even the battery lasted eight years. Only 75k miles on it, but this truck has been nothing but a joy to own. I will never ever consider buying a Chevy again.

Comfortable, quiet ride. RELIABILITY.

None.

my f150
By gdc

1998 Ford F-150 Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

over 100k , the truck has required regular maintenance only. Has never left me on the side of the rode.

would benefit from a smoother ride

excellent truck!
By nascar98

1998 Ford F-150 Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my 1998 NASCAR edition new, after 3 1/2 years all I have replaced is the temp control knob. This is the best built truck I have ever owned

Nascar package, lowered truck has great looks

MORE power from 4.6L and better gas milage