Used 1998 Ford F-150 Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

I loved this truck
By luke

1998 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab LB

My 98 Ford F-150 2WD regular cab manual V6 has been a true champ. I have almost 150,000 miles on it and it is still running strong. This was the first truck that I bought new and was worth every penny. Unfortunately with two little ones, I have to let 'ole blue go. I'm going with another Ford though (06 Crew Cab). This was one tough and special truck!

Reliability. I have replaced the alternator (easy to do myself!) and have had a front tie rod replaced. Other than that nothing other than regular stuff!

Not a thing.

Hello fellow Fordeneirs
By Daniel

1998 Ford F-150 Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought the truck with 169,820. I put about 4200 mi on it since may 08. Gets about 20 hwy 15 cty, always starts, it's very peppy. I put a cherrybomb on it and eventually I will put 265/75/16 on a 2wd. I hoping it'll pay off in the winter. All in all great truck to own!

Looks, interoir design

None

10 years of excellent service
By kcokc

1998 Ford F-150 Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought new in August 98. XL 4.2 V6, 5- speed 3.55 axle, with XLT interior. TX/OK package. Reliability - one of the best vehicles I've owned. Never had a breakdown, only real repair was replacement of turn signal switch. Good power for a 6 cylinder, have towed way more than recommended limit for short distances. Only complaint is fuel economy (lack of). 15-16 MPG in urban driving, 20 on highway cruise at interstate speed. Owned two Chevy p/u's before, this F150 is better truck by far for a work vehicle/tough truck. Chevy's were more confortable, more economical to drive. Gonna miss the old ford when it goes to a new owner shortly. First Ford, was great choice!

Toughness, reliability. Good power for V6. Comfortable ride. Learned to like it's looks after a while.

Improve the fuel economy! Improve the rear wheel anti-lock brakes! Anti-lock kicks in just before you skid to a stop! Got tired of complaining, learned to live without any effective anti-lock feature. I'm sure later models have fixed both complaints.

Great 4x4
By tommy

1998 Ford F-150 Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck on 1/2002 with 41K miles now 11/07 it has 71K. It has been an awesome 4x4. Repairs have been an alternator replacement, 2 rear axel seals and some O2 sensors plus normal maintenace. Just took a 3k mile road trip and fuel on the 4.6L v-8 w/w automatic trans ranged from 16-20 mpg at nominal 70 mph interstate driving. Ride is very plush compared to my old 89 F250 4x4. Mine also has the off road package w/w limited slip rear axel which is a great option on off road applications. I replaced the OEM battery this year after 9 yrs! The 4.6 liter V8 is more than enough power for my driving

Love the short wheelbase/regular cab. Easy to park and drive compared to extended cabs. Sound system is good but 6 disc CD is a pain to load. Like the styling and the truck is extremely tight on off hwy roads. Very smooth highway ride and handling.

None

Best Vehicle I've Owned
By Sam

1998 Ford F-150 Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck used; it was four years old then, and now I've had it four years. I've done nothing but routine inspections and change the oil and filters regularly. It has never been to the shop for anything. Even the battery lasted eight years. Only 75k miles on it, but this truck has been nothing but a joy to own. I will never ever consider buying a Chevy again.

Comfortable, quiet ride. RELIABILITY.

None.