1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:
Don't buy the 4.2 V6
By Pete on 09/13/05 22:47 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XL 3dr Extended Cab SB

I had this truck for 7 years and it's been reliable until it reached 89,000 miles. Both head gaskets blew, but I found out this is a very common problem for 97-99 F150's with the 4.2 V6. STAY AWAY FROM THE 4.2!

My Red F150
By Hannable on 03/12/05 19:08 PM (PST)

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XL 3dr Extended Cab SB

Bought just after 9/11. It has been a good truck. I used it as a commuter, until I got a job with a company vehicle. Now it is my around the weekend truck. Like the folding rear seat, like the 60/40 bench seat in the front.

After 5 years
By carlwm on 11/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XL 3dr Extended Cab SB

The only proble ever experienced was a minor adjustment in transmission shifting that was under warranty. Extremely solid, reliable, safe, vehicle. Drives even better when loaded. V6 has plenty of pep and torque. Unless towing a LARGE trailer, V6 is all that is needed. People who buy V8 waste money.

Quality is NOT job one at Ford
By PMed on 03/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XL 3dr Extended Cab SB

I really like my F 150 and have believed that Ford has always produced a superior truck. However, to my surprise, shortly after the warranty expired, I have had to replace the rear axle seals and a tie rod end which happened to shear off and punch through the drive side rim at 5 kilometers per hour (good thing I wasn't travelling any faster. Surprise, FORD has yet to recall this vehicle for this problem. I have been told by numerous TOW TRUCK operators that this SAFETY Concern is a common occurrence.

Ugly but works really well!
By Andy E. on 12/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XL 3dr Extended Cab SB

I hate the body style, but they dumped the beautiful truck style I liked in 1996. This has been an excellent vehicle. One time in the shop in 88,000 miles (because I forgot to tighten the gas cap and the check engine light came on). It goes up hills without downshifting and has really reasonable accelleration for a six cylinder.