1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:
Our F-150
By tybri93 on 07/27/13 12:22 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

This is truly one of the most reliable vehicles we have ever had in our drive way. Currently (2013) our truck has had nothing go wrong with it that was not related to poor ownership. First problem Fuel pump went, maitnence item that should have been replaced. As well as a belt that was not changed when it was suppose to and snapped on the road. Other than that, nothing! We bought the thing with 140,000 on it, now it has 200,000 and still runs strong, and starts everyday. We do not hesitate to take it on long trips (500 miles +++) and neither should you. The 4.6 is working harder then it use to, but that's just due to it's age. Nothing a tune up wouldn't fix. No intention of getting rid of it

98 F150 XL 4.2 (late motor) 5 speed manual
By raw32 on 01/10/12 05:51 AM (PST)

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XL 3dr Extended Cab LB

Excellent pickup. I have had this truck for the last 100,000 miles and my father had it for the first 80,000. The truck is a bit high speeded, so for slow going I use low range. Its light weight and 4 wheel drive works very well. Other than normal maintenance, I have replaced the AC compressor and thatís about it. I plan to keep this truck for a long time so one thing I do every 5th year or so is have all of the fluids drained and replaced. This includes front end and rear end.

Best vehicle I've ever owned
By EileenJG on 05/09/10 01:19 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Love this truck. I've got 156,000 miles on it now and intend to keep it for a long, long while. Pulls my 17' travel trailer with ease. Repairs have been just the usual maintenance. When I buy again, it'll be another F150.

Runs like the Energizer Bunny
By kwhite917 on 08/21/09 08:14 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

My 1998 F-150 4.6 XLT 3-door shortbed keeps going and going and going. I have over 200K miles on it and I'm sure it will keep going another 100K miles before I may need to have something done. My 17 year old daughter is driving it to and from school and she loves "her" truck. She said all the boys are jealous of her because they think "her" truck is so good looking. I was run off the road in Houston in 2005 and hit a barrier on the left front fender. When the insurance appraiser was writing up the repair order he listed it as 2003 model. When I corrected him he was dumbfounded. He said he had never seen a vehicle of that age and mileage that was so pristine. It gave me warm fuzzies inside.

never let's me down
By Eric on 07/01/09 10:38 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab LB

I have used my truck for daily drive of 50+ miles for 5 years, plus hauling mulch, wood, moving- whatever I need it makes it happen. I have 2wd and living in VA I have never even needed 4wd in the snow. I am not good to vehicles and have only had to replace normal wear and tear. Some of the bottom of the doors has been starting to rust, but I just put on more rustoleum and keep going. About 2 years in I added a KN cold air intake and a flowmaster duel exhaust and this gives me about 3/4 extra MPG and sounds AWESOME! Overall it is one of those vehicles that you never have a doubt if she will start up- I would never part with my truck until she decides to go.

Reliability 100%
By Zowy on 05/26/09 22:08 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Lariat 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

It's all about reliability. Powerful at low speed. So much torque. Awesome 4x4. Large cargo area. Not so much repair cost. Very easy to find out used parts. VERY Reliable. This is my second F150. For sure will have it for many years.

1998 Best by Far for Ford
By Ford Man on 03/13/09 17:58 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I have a 1998 Ford F-150 4.6L 2wd. This truck has been through thick and thin as a farm truck. I have pulled my round bailer with ease. I still have the truck and plan on giving it to my son soon. This truck still has some get up and go and can still jump when you press the pedal to the floor. I think I forgot to mention that it has 375,419 miles on it. I haven't had to swap or do anything at all to the engine or the transmission, and it doesn't look like I will have to anytime soon either. I have had Chevy's but they do not have near as much as my Ford right now. I will tell you right now that 1998 must have been a good year for Ford. The only thing I have had to change is the oil, & tires.

280k miles!
By llamar on 11/14/08 19:59 PM (PST)

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Lariat 3dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck from the orginal owner about 6 months ago. I wasn't so sure because of the miles but has no problems. I have put around 10k miles and no problems! Original owner says has never even had the alternator replaced! Has had new ball joints but only because of the miles. It now has 280k+ Great mpg for truck at 20mpg and still driving. I trust it to go anywhere! I used to be die hard Chevy. Now I am looking to buy a Ford Expedition, maybe it will be as trustworthy

4.2L and still going
By RC on 10/28/08 10:05 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I found this truck used last year and my wife just about killed me when I brought it home. Currently I have 272,000 plus miles on the original engine and transmission. I've pulled up to 25ft campers and up to 32ft boats with this truck. I've filled the bed with wood and it just keeps going. The body is excellent even after being backed into by an Envoy. The dent just popped out. I've replaced the tailgate handle, steering gear, and transmission oil cooler lines(all over 250K). I can't say enough about this truck. At 272k it still runs, drives, and shifts great and is still a good looking truck. Ford will be my next truck as well.

Excellent Truck
By carambo on 07/22/08 10:05 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I have had many Fords but this truck has been the best. Very very few repairs except those from wear and tear like oil change. I live in the woods so it gets a beating and holds up. I get about 21 mpg driving while my husband gets about 18 mpg with this truck. I truly love this truck and don't want to trade it in for a more fuel efficient vehicle!