Used 1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews - 61 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

It just works
By BK

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab LB

Got an XLT 4.6 rear wheel drive with the 3 doors as a hand me down from my dad and it has been good. I have had it for the last 15000 miles and it sits at 168000 on the odometer now. Works great for on road use, hauling stuff in the bed, and reliability. A testament to the quality of the drive train happened several months ago when merging onto the interstate and the accelerator stuck. I wasn't sure what was happening at the time but I flicked the gas pedal and it didn't help so I went to pop it into neutral going 80 and went to far and put it in reverse and locked the tires up for a second before putting it back in drive and turning off the engine and coasted to the shoulder. Turns out the floor mat, which has since been removed, stuck the gas pedal down and I should have messed with the pedal more before trying to put it in neutral. After getting my blood pressure to go down I started it up fearing it was done for, no problems at all! Made sure the tranny wasn't leaking for the next couple days and was surprised how well it held up for the abuse that surely put on it. This old truck is rusty, has a decent ding on the outside of the bed, and overall looks rough but it is a champ in terms of reliability. Recently it has had new rotors in the front from brake pads failing to give a screech indicating they needed replacing and has had a heater core replaced but the core components have been awesome for both of us. I am in the market for a new truck with 4x4 and a locking rear dif since I was stuck on the hill where I parked it overnight after a snow storm since the rear dif puts power to the wheel with less traction, but it has still made a true Ford believer out of me. You can bet my next truck will be an F150, dad got a used 2012 F150 after he handed this one down to me and it has been great for him too. Something is to be said about having a vehicle that can be depended on.

Our F-150
By tybri93

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

This is truly one of the most reliable vehicles we have ever had in our drive way. Currently (2013) our truck has had nothing go wrong with it that was not related to poor ownership. First problem Fuel pump went, maitnence item that should have been replaced. As well as a belt that was not changed when it was suppose to and snapped on the road. Other than that, nothing! We bought the thing with 140,000 on it, now it has 200,000 and still runs strong, and starts everyday. We do not hesitate to take it on long trips (500 miles +++) and neither should you. The 4.6 is working harder then it use to, but that's just due to it's age. Nothing a tune up wouldn't fix. No intention of getting rid of it

Enough room in the front seats for tall men 6'2 plus. Plenty of leg and head room, with room to spare. The reliability is phenomenal and we just can't seem to part with this work horse. It never gives us trouble, and drives just as good as when we bought it. Several people will say "it's getting old, trade up" little do they know of how reliable of service has given us, and it doesn't ask for much.

That they don't still make this model of the F-150. Such a good looking body style, and they obviously done something right. We use this as a daily driver, and it never fails. Made it through one teen driver, and all my wear a tear driving back and forth to work everyday. Including 100+ temperature, and 0- temperature with lots of snow on the ground.

98 F150 XL 4.2 (late motor) 5 speed manual
By raw32

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XL 3dr Extended Cab LB

Excellent pickup.
I have had this truck for the last 100,000 miles and my father had it for the first 80,000. The truck is a bit high speeded, so for slow going I use low range. Its light weight and 4 wheel drive works very well.
Other than normal maintenance, I have replaced the AC compressor and thatÂ’s about it.
I plan to keep this truck for a long time so one thing I do every 5th year or so is have all of the fluids drained and replaced. This includes front end and rear end.

Best vehicle I've ever owned
By EileenJG

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Love this truck. I've got 156,000 miles on it now and intend to keep it for a long, long while. Pulls my 17' travel trailer with ease. Repairs have been just the usual maintenance. When I buy again, it'll be another F150.

Runs like the Energizer Bunny
By kwhite917

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

My 1998 F-150 4.6 XLT 3-door shortbed keeps going and going and going. I have over 200K miles on it and I'm sure it will keep going another 100K miles before I may need to have something done. My 17 year old daughter is driving it to and from school and she loves "her" truck. She said all the boys are jealous of her because they think "her" truck is so good looking. I was run off the road in Houston in 2005 and hit a barrier on the left front fender. When the insurance appraiser was writing up the repair order he listed it as 2003 model. When I corrected him he was dumbfounded. He said he had never seen a vehicle of that age and mileage that was so pristine. It gave me warm fuzzies inside.

I can't say enough about the reliability, the "coolness" factor of a truck and the utility it provides. The day I gave my daughter "her" truck to drive was the day I needed it to haul some stuff to the dump. I really miss it and I'm looking at buying another pre-2004 F-150 just to have around.

I know everyone one else said the gas mileage could be improved, but hey its a truck! The only thing that really needed to be improved was the size of the front rotors. The were off a Taurus sedan and the bulk of the braking was on the front pads. Bigger disks with EBT would have beeen great.