Used 1998 Ford F-150 XL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Don't buy the 4.2 V6
By Pete

1998 Ford F-150 XL 3dr Extended Cab SB

I had this truck for 7 years and it's been reliable until it reached 89,000 miles. Both head gaskets blew, but I found out this is a very common problem for 97-99 F150's with the 4.2 V6. STAY AWAY FROM THE 4.2!

Suggested Improvements

Redesign the 4.2 engine with better head gaskets and intake manifold gaskets

My Red F150
By Hannable

1998 Ford F-150 XL 3dr Extended Cab SB

Bought just after 9/11. It has been a good truck. I used it as a commuter, until I got a job with a company vehicle. Now it is my around the weekend truck. Like the folding rear seat, like the 60/40 bench seat in the front.

Favorite Features

The 60/40 bench seat , the A/C still is COLD for a 7 year old truck with 120,000+ miles on it.

Suggested Improvements

I hate the bed of the truck. The truck has been revised in the past few years, but the bed still looks like the bottom half of a cargo van.

After 5 years
By carlwm

1998 Ford F-150 XL 3dr Extended Cab SB

The only proble ever experienced was a minor adjustment in transmission shifting that was under warranty. Extremely solid, reliable, safe, vehicle. Drives even better when loaded. V6 has plenty of pep and torque. Unless towing a LARGE trailer, V6 is all that is needed. People who buy V8 waste money.

Favorite Features

You do not need an XLT for comfort. If you want a truck, an XL with needed features will save lots of money. A truck is what you use it for. If you want to look like you have money, buy an XLT and be poorer.

Suggested Improvements

The way the third door opens is very inconvenient.

Quality is NOT job one at Ford
By PMed

1998 Ford F-150 XL 3dr Extended Cab SB

I really like my F 150 and have believed that Ford has always produced a superior truck. However, to my surprise, shortly after the warranty expired, I have had to replace the rear axle seals and a tie rod end which happened to shear off and punch through the drive side rim at 5 kilometers per hour (good thing I wasn't travelling any faster. Surprise, FORD has yet to recall this vehicle for this problem. I have been told by numerous TOW TRUCK operators that this SAFETY Concern is a common occurrence.

Favorite Features

Other than above, I really enjoy the ride and capabilities of the truck.

Suggested Improvements

Mr. FORD recall this vehicle before someone DIES. For a heavy half I would not recommend this as a working truck.

Ugly but works really well!
By Andy E.

1998 Ford F-150 XL 3dr Extended Cab SB

I hate the body style, but they dumped the beautiful truck style I liked in 1996. This has been an excellent vehicle. One time in the shop in 88,000 miles (because I forgot to tighten the gas cap and the check engine light came on). It goes up hills without downshifting and has really reasonable accelleration for a six cylinder.

Favorite Features

The cab is easy to get in and out of.

Suggested Improvements

I wish Ford would get rid of the "spaceship" design and make it look like a truck. Otherwise, no suggestions.