Used 1998 Ford F-150 XLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Best vehicle I've ever owned
By EileenJG

1998 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Love this truck. I've got 156,000 miles on it now and intend to keep it for a long, long while. Pulls my 17' travel trailer with ease. Repairs have been just the usual maintenance. When I buy again, it'll be another F150.

Runs like the Energizer Bunny
By kwhite917

1998 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

My 1998 F-150 4.6 XLT 3-door shortbed keeps going and going and going. I have over 200K miles on it and I'm sure it will keep going another 100K miles before I may need to have something done. My 17 year old daughter is driving it to and from school and she loves "her" truck. She said all the boys are jealous of her because they think "her" truck is so good looking. I was run off the road in Houston in 2005 and hit a barrier on the left front fender. When the insurance appraiser was writing up the repair order he listed it as 2003 model. When I corrected him he was dumbfounded. He said he had never seen a vehicle of that age and mileage that was so pristine. It gave me warm fuzzies inside.

Favorite Features

I can't say enough about the reliability, the "coolness" factor of a truck and the utility it provides. The day I gave my daughter "her" truck to drive was the day I needed it to haul some stuff to the dump. I really miss it and I'm looking at buying another pre-2004 F-150 just to have around.

Suggested Improvements

I know everyone one else said the gas mileage could be improved, but hey its a truck! The only thing that really needed to be improved was the size of the front rotors. The were off a Taurus sedan and the bulk of the braking was on the front pads. Bigger disks with EBT would have beeen great.

1998 Best by Far for Ford
By Ford Man

1998 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I have a 1998 Ford F-150 4.6L 2wd. This truck has been through thick and thin as a farm truck. I have pulled my round bailer with ease. I still have the truck and plan on giving it to my son soon. This truck still has some get up and go and can still jump when you press the pedal to the floor. I think I forgot to mention that it has 375,419 miles on it. I haven't had to swap or do anything at all to the engine or the transmission, and it doesn't look like I will have to anytime soon either. I have had Chevy's but they do not have near as much as my Ford right now. I will tell you right now that 1998 must have been a good year for Ford. The only thing I have had to change is the oil, & tires.

Favorite Features

The style, performance, and never leaves you stranded

Suggested Improvements

Gas economy (Just like any other V8 truck), and the door seals

4.2L and still going
By RC

1998 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I found this truck used last year and my wife just about killed me when I brought it home. Currently I have 272,000 plus miles on the original engine and transmission. I've pulled up to 25ft campers and up to 32ft boats with this truck. I've filled the bed with wood and it just keeps going. The body is excellent even after being backed into by an Envoy. The dent just popped out. I've replaced the tailgate handle, steering gear, and transmission oil cooler lines(all over 250K). I can't say enough about this truck. At 272k it still runs, drives, and shifts great and is still a good looking truck. Ford will be my next truck as well.

Favorite Features

Rear seat fold down for a solid flat surface. Comfortable seats. Lighted controls even the power windows. Body. Lots of cup holders and 12V power outlets.

Suggested Improvements

Armrest for captain's chairs break easily. Bed tie downs. Brake controller prewiring.

Excellent Truck
By carambo

1998 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I have had many Fords but this truck has been the best. Very very few repairs except those from wear and tear like oil change. I live in the woods so it gets a beating and holds up. I get about 21 mpg driving while my husband gets about 18 mpg with this truck. I truly love this truck and don't want to trade it in for a more fuel efficient vehicle!

Favorite Features

Manual transmission. I don't want an automatic!

Suggested Improvements

The bottom of the truck has a few rust spots therefore a better rust proofing!