1998 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:
Best vehicle I've ever owned
By EileenJG on 05/09/10 01:19 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Love this truck. I've got 156,000 miles on it now and intend to keep it for a long, long while. Pulls my 17' travel trailer with ease. Repairs have been just the usual maintenance. When I buy again, it'll be another F150.

Runs like the Energizer Bunny
By kwhite917 on 08/21/09 08:14 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

My 1998 F-150 4.6 XLT 3-door shortbed keeps going and going and going. I have over 200K miles on it and I'm sure it will keep going another 100K miles before I may need to have something done. My 17 year old daughter is driving it to and from school and she loves "her" truck. She said all the boys are jealous of her because they think "her" truck is so good looking. I was run off the road in Houston in 2005 and hit a barrier on the left front fender. When the insurance appraiser was writing up the repair order he listed it as 2003 model. When I corrected him he was dumbfounded. He said he had never seen a vehicle of that age and mileage that was so pristine. It gave me warm fuzzies inside.

1998 Best by Far for Ford
By Ford Man on 03/13/09 17:58 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I have a 1998 Ford F-150 4.6L 2wd. This truck has been through thick and thin as a farm truck. I have pulled my round bailer with ease. I still have the truck and plan on giving it to my son soon. This truck still has some get up and go and can still jump when you press the pedal to the floor. I think I forgot to mention that it has 375,419 miles on it. I haven't had to swap or do anything at all to the engine or the transmission, and it doesn't look like I will have to anytime soon either. I have had Chevy's but they do not have near as much as my Ford right now. I will tell you right now that 1998 must have been a good year for Ford. The only thing I have had to change is the oil, & tires.

4.2L and still going
By RC on 10/28/08 10:05 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I found this truck used last year and my wife just about killed me when I brought it home. Currently I have 272,000 plus miles on the original engine and transmission. I've pulled up to 25ft campers and up to 32ft boats with this truck. I've filled the bed with wood and it just keeps going. The body is excellent even after being backed into by an Envoy. The dent just popped out. I've replaced the tailgate handle, steering gear, and transmission oil cooler lines(all over 250K). I can't say enough about this truck. At 272k it still runs, drives, and shifts great and is still a good looking truck. Ford will be my next truck as well.

Excellent Truck
By carambo on 07/22/08 10:05 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I have had many Fords but this truck has been the best. Very very few repairs except those from wear and tear like oil change. I live in the woods so it gets a beating and holds up. I get about 21 mpg driving while my husband gets about 18 mpg with this truck. I truly love this truck and don't want to trade it in for a more fuel efficient vehicle!

Most reliable automobile I have owned
By onceamarine on 01/24/08 14:57 PM (PST)

1998 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my F150 in 2001 and now 7 years later I am still happy with it. I have not had any major repairs to mess with, and it shows no sign of needing any in the near future. It gets truck mpg, which stinks for any truck owner these days. The paint and body still look great. Only having three doors means I am going to have to sell it soon, with kid #2 on the way. I am sure going to miss it, and will be buying a newer 4 door F150.

For resale
By rqlph duncan on 10/06/07 12:17 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

We have owned this Ford pickup for 10 years with no problems concerning the practicle usage and pleasure trips.

love my 98 F-150
By Bonnie on 10/05/06 18:15 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased this truck in 2000, fell in love with it the first time I drove it. I still love my truck, wish this body style would come back. DO NOT like the 2004 and newer body style of the F-150/F-250. I still get compliments on my truck but I now have 94,324 miles on it. When I bought the truck it came with air bags over the rear tires which really helps when we RV tow, pick up gravel or other heavy loads. It's been a GREAT TRUCK! I still have it but am considering stepping up to a 3/4 ton. Sure wish FORD would bring back the 2000 body style. I added a magna flow exhaust on it (sounds great) My truck turns many a heads!

Ford Tough
By aaron on 01/26/06 14:01 PM (PST)

1998 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

This isn't my first Ford truck, and I've been very happy with them. I am a country boy and I'm probably harder on my trucks than most people. This truck drives circles around my brother's Silverado out in the muddy fields, and I have had less repairs than he has. The only major repair has been a new clutch, which was my fault. I down graded from the 5.4 to the 4.6 this truck, and wish I had my 5.4 back. This is still a tough truck that is built solid.

165,000 Miles & Strong
By Roxanne on 08/28/05 20:33 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Most reliable, trustworthy vehicle I have ever owned. As original owner and at 165K, I have had less than $1,000 in repairs in 8 years. Maintenance costs have been very reasonable. Mine is a manual with V6 -- gets about 17 mpg city & 20 mpg highway. Highly recommend this over the Silverado. Still has tight steering, great suspension, great ride, no rattles -- after many camping trips on unmaintained roads.