Used 1998 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Our F-150
By tybri93

1998 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

This is truly one of the most reliable vehicles we have ever had in our drive way. Currently (2013) our truck has had nothing go wrong with it that was not related to poor ownership. First problem Fuel pump went, maitnence item that should have been replaced. As well as a belt that was not changed when it was suppose to and snapped on the road. Other than that, nothing! We bought the thing with 140,000 on it, now it has 200,000 and still runs strong, and starts everyday. We do not hesitate to take it on long trips (500 miles +++) and neither should you. The 4.6 is working harder then it use to, but that's just due to it's age. Nothing a tune up wouldn't fix. No intention of getting rid of it

Favorite Features

Enough room in the front seats for tall men 6'2 plus. Plenty of leg and head room, with room to spare. The reliability is phenomenal and we just can't seem to part with this work horse. It never gives us trouble, and drives just as good as when we bought it. Several people will say "it's getting old, trade up" little do they know of how reliable of service has given us, and it doesn't ask for much.

Suggested Improvements

That they don't still make this model of the F-150. Such a good looking body style, and they obviously done something right. We use this as a daily driver, and it never fails. Made it through one teen driver, and all my wear a tear driving back and forth to work everyday. Including 100+ temperature, and 0- temperature with lots of snow on the ground.

98 F150 XL 4.2 (late motor) 5 speed manual
By raw32

1998 Ford F-150 XL 3dr Extended Cab LB

Excellent pickup. I have had this truck for the last 100,000 miles and my father had it for the first 80,000. The truck is a bit high speeded, so for slow going I use low range. Its light weight and 4 wheel drive works very well. Other than normal maintenance, I have replaced the AC compressor and thatís about it. I plan to keep this truck for a long time so one thing I do every 5th year or so is have all of the fluids drained and replaced. This includes front end and rear end.

Best vehicle I've ever owned
By EileenJG

1998 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Love this truck. I've got 156,000 miles on it now and intend to keep it for a long, long while. Pulls my 17' travel trailer with ease. Repairs have been just the usual maintenance. When I buy again, it'll be another F150.

Runs like the Energizer Bunny
By kwhite917

1998 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

My 1998 F-150 4.6 XLT 3-door shortbed keeps going and going and going. I have over 200K miles on it and I'm sure it will keep going another 100K miles before I may need to have something done. My 17 year old daughter is driving it to and from school and she loves "her" truck. She said all the boys are jealous of her because they think "her" truck is so good looking. I was run off the road in Houston in 2005 and hit a barrier on the left front fender. When the insurance appraiser was writing up the repair order he listed it as 2003 model. When I corrected him he was dumbfounded. He said he had never seen a vehicle of that age and mileage that was so pristine. It gave me warm fuzzies inside.

Favorite Features

I can't say enough about the reliability, the "coolness" factor of a truck and the utility it provides. The day I gave my daughter "her" truck to drive was the day I needed it to haul some stuff to the dump. I really miss it and I'm looking at buying another pre-2004 F-150 just to have around.

Suggested Improvements

I know everyone one else said the gas mileage could be improved, but hey its a truck! The only thing that really needed to be improved was the size of the front rotors. The were off a Taurus sedan and the bulk of the braking was on the front pads. Bigger disks with EBT would have beeen great.

never let's me down
By Eric

1998 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab LB

I have used my truck for daily drive of 50+ miles for 5 years, plus hauling mulch, wood, moving- whatever I need it makes it happen. I have 2wd and living in VA I have never even needed 4wd in the snow. I am not good to vehicles and have only had to replace normal wear and tear. Some of the bottom of the doors has been starting to rust, but I just put on more rustoleum and keep going. About 2 years in I added a KN cold air intake and a flowmaster duel exhaust and this gives me about 3/4 extra MPG and sounds AWESOME! Overall it is one of those vehicles that you never have a doubt if she will start up- I would never part with my truck until she decides to go.

Favorite Features

Interior and Exterior styling holds up. Love the power of the 5.4l. So much room in the back seat also.

Suggested Improvements

The tires and brakes seem to wear a little early, but that may be the driver.