1997 Ford F-150 Consumer Review: Stone Cold Reliable

1997 Ford F-150 Regular Cab - Consumer Review

Stone Cold Reliable
By BTE on

1997 Ford F-150 Lariat 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

My F-150 has been a pleasure to own. I do wish for more torque from the 4.6 at times, but that is really due to the OHC design which predictably displays the opposite power making characteristics of what should be in any 4x4 truck. I added 4.10 gears to mine to make up for the lack of torque and it improved off the line performance considerably with little effect on gas mileage. At 140,000 miles all I have done is standard maintenance and it runs like a champ. The interior has held up well too. It seems better built than the new F-150s (noticed the cheap plastic fuel door on the current trucks). My tailgate is heavier than some but if you can't lift it then buy a Honda or a Subaru.

Reliability, reliability, reliability. I drive this truck like I stole it and it just keeps coming back for more. If it had a bow tie on it, I'd be on the second motor by now.

Back in the early nineties,when Ford decided to show everyone how progressive they are, they dropped the pushrod motors in favor of the OHC design. On paper the OHC made some sense with less parasitic losses in the valve train etc. The problem is that it doesn't make torque down low where it should.