1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:
Truck that has had it all, and then some
By Marc Mendoza on 09/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Lariat 3dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

Having had this truck for almost 5 years, it still feels the same as when I drove it off the lot. It has taken me as far as central North America to upper Canada. Never having to warm it up in the winter, will always keep me running.

Don's opinion
By dlbnfla on 08/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

Best pickup ever built

Great truck!
By cfr7009 on 07/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Lariat 3dr Extended Cab SB

I leased this pickup in 1999 when it was 2 years old with 22000 miles. One week after I brought it home it started to run poorly, spew fumes and smoke, after 3 visits to the dealer (each time telling me that it was the O2 sensor) they finally changed the ECU. It immediately started running perfectly and I have had no trouble since. Ther is little to no maintenance required. Just change the oil and put in gas. I liked it so much that I bought it outright at the end of the lease. I plan on keeping it until one of us kicks the bucket. Chances are I will go first!

MY F-150
By TONE on 07/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Lariat 3dr Extended Cab SB

I like this f-150 more than the previous chey that I owned. This truck is excellent in all catagories. The engine has plenty of torque. It never complained under a heavy load or accerlation. My Chevy clattered under the same conditions even buring more expensive super unlead. My F-150 runs just fine on regular ulead.

good truck
By laddco enterprises on 07/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

good truck. very reliable

great truck
By gary mullen on 06/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XL 3dr Extended Cab SB

This has been a great truck over the last 5 years. The only thing I have had trouble with has been the brakes.

Great Truck
By NPLM on 05/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Lariat 3dr Extended Cab SB

My F150 is a '97 Ext. cab SB Lariat (exactly like the one in the photo section of this site) with 76,000 miles. It is a great riding truck with plenty of power from the 5.4L V8. It is smooth as glass on the highway. I've noticed that the ride actually improves when adding load or towing. Interior design is elegant as well as user friendly, and the build quality is top notch, with little wind noise or rattles. Has had no problems since new. My only complaint is the 5.4L engine is thirsty, getting an average of around 15-16 MPG,(city driving). I would recommend the 4.6L unless you really need the extra power. Overall great truck.

my ford truck
By cos on 04/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

excellent purchase, would not trade it for the world. always reliable, always has power when you want it!

Great Truck New
By JerryT on 04/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

This vehicle I purchased was a great truck till about 85000 miles, then the transmission started acting up. I suggest, if you buy a ford truck to trade it in around 80000 if you plan on keeping it for a while. Whereas transmissions can be repaired, once they start acting up they will never be the same again and reliability will never be above 65% on a rebuilt transmission.