Used 1997 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Great Truck
By HCR

1997 Ford F-150 XL 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have had a squeaky control arm. The only problem is the replacement one does not have a grease point. Why pay $500.00 to fix a squeak for it to squeak again in 6 months?

It has great power and has never left me to walk!

Put lubrication places on the steering points.

4.2L Engine
By Scot

1997 Ford F-150 XL 3dr Extended Cab SB

I really like the truck, overall design outside, and interior room. I have had the truck since it was new, mine was equipped with the 4.2L engine. At 88,000 miles the transmission went, at 89,200 the engine went. I was very much disappointed with that. I had the transmission rebuilt and purchased a new engine from Ford, I think it runs better now than when I first purchased it (WAY MORE POWER)! I would buy the truck again but would stick with at V-8 engine. If you're buying used be careful about the early 4.2L; my understanding is it had a lot of problems, the newer ones are supposed to have all the problems fixed.

Lots of room and decent handling.

Get the bugs out of the 4.2L V-6.

My '97 Used P/U
By Jack Latty

1997 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

Vehicle has been very good. It has done all I've asked of it, both in a "fun" situation and in a work situation. It handles well, however, fuel economy, particularly in light of extremely high fuel prices, could be better. It averages only about 14 MPG. I have a '01 Expedition, with a larger engine that gets much better mileage. (P/U has a 4.6 V8, Expedition has a 5.4 V8) I would not hesitate to recommend this year model to anyone looking for a good used P/U.

4WD as we work as hosts at an RV/ATV campground in the Oregon Dunes

Electronic shift to 4WD.

Best vehicle I've owned
By Allan

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

Other than my heater core going out and the blender-door motor breaking, this truck has been the most reliable and comfortable vehicle I have driven. I must say it is one of Ford's best vehicles ever made. Fuel economy is a downside, but with a K & N air filter and fiberglass tonneau cover, I get 25 mpg on the highway and 16 in the city. If you want a truck, get an F-150.

The nice sound of the engine, the comfort, and the smooth ride.

I know the technology is out there to improve the fuel economy of a vehicle this size. Also, some features should not have been electronic, such as the knob that controls the blender door determining the temperature of the air blowing out the vents.

Girl's Truck
By reelqueen

1997 Ford F-150 3dr Extended Cab LB

Loved the truck as soon as I saw it. Didn't think I could drive and maneuver it. Found it to be a great ride and tows our boat with no problem.

The color which is teal.

The front seat needs some redesigning.