1997 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:
fun to drive
By s cook on 09/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XL 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

fun to drive . i have lots of fun in my truck.we go camping, fishing,hunting,and somtimes alittle bit of offroading.

Never Had A Problem
By ravenbutterfly on 08/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XL 2dr Regular Cab LB

I have been having my truck since the first came out with the new style. I haven't had a problem with. I just changed the original battery that was in it about 3 months ago. I just replaced the tires on the truck, because it was overdue.

Crazy about my '97 Ford truck!
By badsmoke on 08/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 Lariat 3dr Extended Cab SB

100,000 miles and the truck hasn't left me walking. Excellent ride and styling, good performance. Replaced pittman arm and control arm bushings-both got noisy, idle air control valve, battery just recently. Nothing else but normal maintenance and tires.

My 1st Truck
By 04 Desmo on 08/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

Never thought about getting a truck, but an implulse buy made me glad I did. It has moved me 3 times over the last 3 years. This thing is very reliable, and for 115000 miles still work like a charm. The 4.2 V6 w/ 5sp has a bit of get-up and is fantastic on the highway. Great control location, and the interior design is highly functional and comfy. Exterior design is OK. Residual is alright for a 1997, but I have no plans in selling it. I'm trying to put in a CD player, but the 1997 stereo is unique, and I can't find one!

Ford F-150 -ex-cab w/3rd door
By cruzer39 on 07/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Bought this truck with 92000 miles on it from a consumer. Truck gave no problems whatsoever until it reached 121000 miles and without warning the motor slung a rod thru the oil pan. Oil had been changed every 3500 miles. Motor was making no noise until one morning I went to start it and then is when the motor went out. Cost of repairs were $3200. This is the only trouble I have had with this vehicle. Up until then I have been very pleased with this vehicle. Well built, but could use more horsepower for the weight of the vehicle. At least it did give up in my driveway instead of the highway!!!!!

Great truck
By toolguy1967 on 07/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 Lariat 3dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

Overall, I have enjoyed owning & driving this truck. I have not put as much mileage on mine as most would have in 6yrs, so we'll see how she holds up at the 75K mark. The only major problems: 1)rear end bearings went out @ 40K, gears are already pitting (I'm told this is a notorious Ford issue). 2) rear window leaks. Would've loved to see more power out of the 97' 4.6L.

Babe the Blue Ox
By Rugby4NeilMat on 07/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

We love our '97 F-150! We nicknamed her Babe the Blue Ox because of her strength and alluring factory color. With slight engine mods, aftermarket wheel/tire combo and careful attention to maintenace schedules- this pickup has been a joy to own after our quirky 1988 Ford Bronco XLT.

Good truck
By fordtough on 07/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

We bought the truck with 12,000 miles and now have over 120k with no problems. I averaged 22 mpg on the interstate on a recent trip running 70 mph with a/c on. Only thing I would add to this truck is about 10 more hp, the 4.6 is a little weak.

my ford truck
By raisen on 07/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

simple good truck for price.reliable.

not that shabby
By kboz on 05/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

not all the F-150s break down. I bought mine used with 90k miles on it, now have it up to 112k. Never have had engine problems. Only things were new tires, passenger side window motor replaced, battery replaced at 100k, taillights replaced. Rides a little rough b/c of worn down suspension. V6 is lousy for quick power needs, go with a V8. Interior is plain, nothing great about it, but for a good truck overall it can't be beat.