Used 1997 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Good Truck
By TN

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this new in 1997 and put on 151,000 miles on it in 9 years. It is well built and reliable. The only unscheduled repair was when the transmission broke at 98,000 miles. It was rebuilt for $2,000. Otherwise, absolutely no problems. Now at 151,000 miles it needs some repair but it shouldn't be too bad considering the low repair history so far. I'd say investing $2,000 now would buy me another 3 years of trouble free driving. Don't be afraid to grab one of these used if it has a clean bill of health. It will last you a long time.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride, nice styling. Decent standard options. Peppy engine (4.6 L V8).

Suggested Improvements

No real gripes. It's well designed.

I love my F-150
By zach bereiter

1997 Ford F-150 Lariat 3dr Extended Cab SB

I've owned my F-150 for about nine months now and haven't been happier! Sure its not the most flashy, but it is a solid truck. It has 107,000 miles on it and it hasn't had any problems so far; well except for the time a drunk person hit me. There are a few things I would change, like the overall fit and finish is poor, and who doesn't like more power? The highs are the handling and the "truck feel" it has, you know you're in a truck. Overall though I love this truck!

Favorite Features

6 disc cd changer, leather seats, shift on the fly four-wheel drive, 4.6 liter Triton v8.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy, more power, better fit and finish.

My Truck's my best friend
By Collin Stoddard

1997 Ford F-150 XL 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

This truck has been awesome. I wish it had more power sometimes, but it is unstoppable. I pull two horses with it and it has a hard time with that sometimes, and I have spoken to other F 150 owners and they have seen a similar trait of exhaust leaks in the exhaust manifold. I have yet to fix mine, but it hasn't effected performance at all. I have had to fix nothing on this thing in the three years that I have owned it and it has 160,000 miles on it now.

Favorite Features

Basic, reliable truck that looks cool.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy, power.

F150 Work Horse
By Bolio

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I have had my F150 since I spec'd it out. When I received it, the dealer said it was the 1st LB 4X4 super cab in AZ. The tires were too small, upgraded to 285x16 on stock wheels. Only problems in 8 yrs: R 4x4 actuator module, replaced cylinder #8, intake valve malfunction. Pulls 7000 lb trailer up mountains no problem. Pulls out stumps, 4X4 great, very comfortable. Gas mileage is medium (14-17). Repainted 2 years ago, but paint was OK before that (Bright Red). Had a dent in bed to be repaired. Headlights have faded over. Bedliner a good investment. Very reliable, very versatile, good looking truck. (Got compliments the first years I had it all the time).

Favorite Features

Bed size, 3rd door, dual power taps, ground clearance.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger front brakes, larger stock tires, better tie downs.

'97 F-150 Workhorse
By Paul

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab LB

Best vehicle I've ever owned. 164,000 miles w/no major repairs needed.

Favorite Features

Low maintenance. Reliable. Comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage.