Used 1997 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Best truck I ever owned
By Jerrys Truck

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I now have 275,000 miles on my 97 F150. The only thing I have had to do to it is new front brake pads, new fan belt, 1 new battery, change plugs and plug wires twice, 3 sets of tires, 1 set of shocks, 1 coil pack, and kept the oil changed. Everything else is original. If this truck was to quit on me today I would buy another one. I park it on a concrete driveway every day and there is not one drop of fluid where it sits. I love driving a truck that is paid for and I can depend on!

Best riding truck I have every road in. Still looks new.

Stereo system needs better speakers!

Fun, Strong, Workhorse
By Justin

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab LB

I love my truck! It is so much fun to drive and comfortable to boot. The engine is plenty powerful for all applications and the truck can haul some mega weight. The only complaint I have is the back window which leaks in around the seals. Apparently it was a design flaw by Ford and can be fixed easily at a glass place (providing you have the money to do so!). As far as the gas mileage, it's what you would expect for a truck (*slurp**slurp*).

I really enjoy having the 8 foot bed on the truck. I also like the room in the rear of the cab.

Better fuel economy, different back window design so it won't leak and a tighter turning radius.

Good American Product
By hydropump

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Good experience, drives easily. Minor problems recently with "fault light" erratic turn on/off. No material structural problems. Normal tire wear. No alignment problems. This is my most recent Ford and much better service than 1988 and 1978 similar versions.

Super Cab.

Four doors on supercab models would be a better arrangement.

F 150 junk
By cchfd

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

No more Fords for me. Truck has extensive work done to it from transmissions to exhaust manifolds. Not reliable and would never own another one.

Interior.

Better parts not inferior expensive junk.

Stone Cold Reliable
By BTE

1997 Ford F-150 Lariat 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

My F-150 has been a pleasure to own. I do wish for more torque from the 4.6 at times, but that is really due to the OHC design which predictably displays the opposite power making characteristics of what should be in any 4x4 truck. I added 4.10 gears to mine to make up for the lack of torque and it improved off the line performance considerably with little effect on gas mileage. At 140,000 miles all I have done is standard maintenance and it runs like a champ. The interior has held up well too. It seems better built than the new F-150s (noticed the cheap plastic fuel door on the current trucks). My tailgate is heavier than some but if you can't lift it then buy a Honda or a Subaru.

Reliability, reliability, reliability. I drive this truck like I stole it and it just keeps coming back for more. If it had a bow tie on it, I'd be on the second motor by now.

Back in the early nineties,when Ford decided to show everyone how progressive they are, they dropped the pushrod motors in favor of the OHC design. On paper the OHC made some sense with less parasitic losses in the valve train etc. The problem is that it doesn't make torque down low where it should.