Used 1997 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Best Vehicle I've Owned
By jrg

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

My ten year old F-150 extended, short bed has paid for itself time and again. It has 133,000 miles, and have only had to replace tires and brake pads. The greatest expense was wire damage thanks to a local rodent. Ford wires must taste good. I get a constant 19 miles per gallon with the 4.6 V-8.

Comfort, handling, and power.

Ford has already taken care of this, as the F-150 gets better each year.

Great Truck
By srr7sk8r

1997 Ford F-150 Lariat 3dr Extended Cab SB

This truck is now 10 years old and I have owned it for 3 years. It is still reliable everyday and beats the style of the new F-150's by far. The Tritin V8 delivers 210hp and the lariat towing package is a class 3 so i have never had any problems towing anything. Plent of room for up to 6 in the cabin, unlike most tundras. F-150 is all around great american truck, wish they still made them like this. Only improvement would be gas mileage.

Towing ability, comfort

Better gas mileage

Should Not Have Broken
By I got a Lemon

1997 Ford F-150 XL 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

Poor fuel economy. Transmission died at 77,000 miles. A/C was blowing a foul smell. Turns out to be a leaking heater core. Replaced that at 105,000. Both were expensive repairs and neither should have gone out that soon. To top it off, I replaced the battery and got two starts out of it. Not the vehicle's fault, but leaves me wondering what is next. I don't trust my Ford to be there for me. I'm looking at other manufacturers.

Tight turning radius.

Better fuel economy and more reliable parts. Maybe mine was a lemon but I'm turned off from Ford.

Best truck I ever owned
By Jerrys Truck

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I now have 275,000 miles on my 97 F150. The only thing I have had to do to it is new front brake pads, new fan belt, 1 new battery, change plugs and plug wires twice, 3 sets of tires, 1 set of shocks, 1 coil pack, and kept the oil changed. Everything else is original. If this truck was to quit on me today I would buy another one. I park it on a concrete driveway every day and there is not one drop of fluid where it sits. I love driving a truck that is paid for and I can depend on!

Best riding truck I have every road in. Still looks new.

Stereo system needs better speakers!

Fun, Strong, Workhorse
By Justin

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab LB

I love my truck! It is so much fun to drive and comfortable to boot. The engine is plenty powerful for all applications and the truck can haul some mega weight. The only complaint I have is the back window which leaks in around the seals. Apparently it was a design flaw by Ford and can be fixed easily at a glass place (providing you have the money to do so!). As far as the gas mileage, it's what you would expect for a truck (*slurp**slurp*).

I really enjoy having the 8 foot bed on the truck. I also like the room in the rear of the cab.

Better fuel economy, different back window design so it won't leak and a tighter turning radius.

• SUV