1997 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:
Dud Engine
By yard man on 04/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

Truck was great until the motor imploded. Research on the web informed me of 4.2/v6 engine problems with Ford. TSB only addressed lower gasket. Recall only fixed a portion of engines mfged' during period. Water coolant leak into motor from upper and lower gaskets displaces oil in motor which results in total engine failure. Clues should have been coolant odor but never a leak on ground. When it happened, loud bang and clank under hood and continual pouring of white exhaust from tailpipe. Also strong odor of coolant from exhaust. End result, $4000.00 Jaspar replacement engine which is the same engine but with improvements of Ford's poor design.

My 1997 Ford F150 review
By cconlee on 03/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Great Pickup. I have seen some others that have paint problems. My paint cracked on the roof due to expansion/contraction over the years. Also I have seen limited rust spots on the bottom of doors. check the doors exterior right behind the window area for a hairline crack due to lack of support built into the door. Engine has never had a problem. Overall very pleased.

nice job
By tms98 on 03/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have been very happy with this truck,no major problems with anything.Rides very smooth,has a great body design very flowing

I love Ford
By Brian P on 01/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

I have always had Ford Products and they have all gave me great service. This truck has been the best of all it is a tough truck

By phili on 11/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Ilove to drive my truck.

F-150
By B Davis on 10/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Best vehicle I have ever owned. Brakes,tires,gas and oil is only money i have spent on this truck. Thanks Ford.

I love My Truck!!
By discodave34448 on 10/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Boguth it with 25000 miles put 75 on it in about 3.5 years. Just had to put a new alternator on it. Other than that only brakes and general maintenance. Very very well built truck, still drives unbelievably tight.

Tough truck just keeps on goin'
By Givingman on 10/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 Lariat 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

As the first vehicle I have ever kept longer than the 4 year payment plan, this Ford is a winner by default. It tows, carrys, and rides all day in comfort. Still gets compliments on its looks and runs like new. Cruises at 85 on the highway as smoothly as my wife's Avalon (OK, a bit noisier) and can then tramp through the woods like a champ. I still smile everytime I see it in the parking lot waiting for me. And in rush hour traffic you can see over Explorers and other lesser beasts to anticipate problems and reduce claustraphobia. Winner all the way!

Ford F-150 XLT Stepside ShortBed
By Truck Lover on 10/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I love my truck, it does not get gas mileage, but the truck is fun to drive, and you can fit a lot of people and a lot of stuff in it. It is like a giant purse!

Reliable Lariart
By Lhr Vati on 09/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 Lariat 3dr Extended Cab SB

This truck was an excelent purchase. I've never had a single issue with it and it has been a reliable workhorse.