1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:
By phili on 11/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Ilove to drive my truck.

I love My Truck!!
By discodave34448 on 10/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Boguth it with 25000 miles put 75 on it in about 3.5 years. Just had to put a new alternator on it. Other than that only brakes and general maintenance. Very very well built truck, still drives unbelievably tight.

Tough truck just keeps on goin'
By Givingman on 10/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Lariat 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

As the first vehicle I have ever kept longer than the 4 year payment plan, this Ford is a winner by default. It tows, carrys, and rides all day in comfort. Still gets compliments on its looks and runs like new. Cruises at 85 on the highway as smoothly as my wife's Avalon (OK, a bit noisier) and can then tramp through the woods like a champ. I still smile everytime I see it in the parking lot waiting for me. And in rush hour traffic you can see over Explorers and other lesser beasts to anticipate problems and reduce claustraphobia. Winner all the way!

Reliable Lariart
By Lhr Vati on 09/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Lariat 3dr Extended Cab SB

This truck was an excelent purchase. I've never had a single issue with it and it has been a reliable workhorse.

fun to drive
By s cook on 09/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XL 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

fun to drive . i have lots of fun in my truck.we go camping, fishing,hunting,and somtimes alittle bit of offroading.

Crazy about my '97 Ford truck!
By badsmoke on 08/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Lariat 3dr Extended Cab SB

100,000 miles and the truck hasn't left me walking. Excellent ride and styling, good performance. Replaced pittman arm and control arm bushings-both got noisy, idle air control valve, battery just recently. Nothing else but normal maintenance and tires.

Ford F-150 -ex-cab w/3rd door
By cruzer39 on 07/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Bought this truck with 92000 miles on it from a consumer. Truck gave no problems whatsoever until it reached 121000 miles and without warning the motor slung a rod thru the oil pan. Oil had been changed every 3500 miles. Motor was making no noise until one morning I went to start it and then is when the motor went out. Cost of repairs were $3200. This is the only trouble I have had with this vehicle. Up until then I have been very pleased with this vehicle. Well built, but could use more horsepower for the weight of the vehicle. At least it did give up in my driveway instead of the highway!!!!!

Great truck
By toolguy1967 on 07/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Lariat 3dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

Overall, I have enjoyed owning & driving this truck. I have not put as much mileage on mine as most would have in 6yrs, so we'll see how she holds up at the 75K mark. The only major problems: 1)rear end bearings went out @ 40K, gears are already pitting (I'm told this is a notorious Ford issue). 2) rear window leaks. Would've loved to see more power out of the 97' 4.6L.

Good truck
By fordtough on 07/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

We bought the truck with 12,000 miles and now have over 120k with no problems. I averaged 22 mpg on the interstate on a recent trip running 70 mph with a/c on. Only thing I would add to this truck is about 10 more hp, the 4.6 is a little weak.

not that shabby
By kboz on 05/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

not all the F-150s break down. I bought mine used with 90k miles on it, now have it up to 112k. Never have had engine problems. Only things were new tires, passenger side window motor replaced, battery replaced at 100k, taillights replaced. Rides a little rough b/c of worn down suspension. V6 is lousy for quick power needs, go with a V8. Interior is plain, nothing great about it, but for a good truck overall it can't be beat.