1997 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:
F-150 Built Tough by Ford
By Fraedna on 11/27/04 09:50 AM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 Lariat 3dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

I own with 0 miles, On the first month of use, I learned it had defective front shocks; the dealer changed them for new ones. It currently has 52,000 miles on it. I've changed the front pads twice for regular wear, change engine oil every 3,000 miles and have already changed tranny oil at 48,000 miles. At 25,000 miles I noticed a problem in the driver side window, so I changed the window motor for one that I bought on ebay. Not a single engine problem. Mileage of 13mpg in city is not so good, but it's a 5,400 pound vehicle with a 5.4 liter engine.

Tough FORD
By srr7sk8r on 10/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 Lariat 3dr Extended Cab SB

F-150's are the greatest trucks out there. Haven't had any problems and no complaints. Built tough.

great
By stsi on 10/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab LB

AWESOME!!It has a lot of raw power. Must buy

redesign engine
By NICHOLEMARIE on 09/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 Lariat 2dr Regular Cab LB

my f-150 2 dr 4.2 ltr has been sitting at my dealer ship for 6 months. the engine died at 68000 miles and ford will not take responsibility for this. i have gotten in touch with attorney general in my area( consumer protection) and waiting to here from them. i dont think i will ever buy another ford, also the total of the bill is 5000.00 that i don't have! this truck was maintained very well, and this really makes me furious!!!!! is there anyone that i could write to other than what i have done already? is there an address that i could write to and make sure they get it? please let me know. thankyou, lisa

Dependability pure and simple
By galaxie64 on 07/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

I have over 150,000 miles on this truck and it has yet to have 1 single part break in the drivetrain or anywhere else for that matter. I don't baby it either and have many performance mods yet this truck doesn't leak a drop of fluid and now gets over 15mpg--A really good number for the 5.4L. I plan to keep it for the forseeable future.

Ford F-150
By Trux369 on 07/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Ever since we have gotten the truck we have brought it in for 2 diferent services. Oil change and tire rotaion. We have had 0 problems with this truck. we got it almost brand new and still runs like it did when we first got it. Only thing i have against it right now is the power streering squeaks whenever i turn but it will be fixed. Thats my only problem after 7 years of ownership.

Great Truck
By BBinTEX on 06/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 Lariat 3dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

144000+ miles with no problems except minor shift problem between 2nd and 3rd that showed up at around 100000 miles. So insignificant that I had not had it repaired when I got another Ford truck. No other repairs or problems except normal tires and brakes replacements.

1997 F150 4.2L Ext. Cab
By Cranky on 05/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XL 3dr Extended Cab SB

Lots of interior room, good instrument layout and enjoyable to drive. Mech. probs. incl. torque converter failed at 60k ($1200), head gasket leak at 93k ($2000) fast brake wear (changed to ceramic pads ($75 pair) reduced freq.of pad replacement), ball joints replaced ($400 cost), gas city ~11 mpg, highway ~16 mpg, oxygen sensor failure at 65K ($40). I have mixed feelings about the vehicle overall but still like the comfort of driving it. New body design on the 2004 is too boxy looking so I probably would not buy a newer model F150 anyway. Too bad, I liked the styling of the previous models.

Don't Buy a Ford
By shags on 05/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Shortly aftr purchasing this vehicle (it was used) I discovered it had a problem with maintaining adequate oil pressure. The truck had only 39000 miles on the clock! A local Ford dealer as well as an independant mechanic told me the engine was shot and they would gladly replace it for 3500 - 3800 dollars. Ford Motor Co. refused to make a good faith adjustment for a problem that was clearly a defect. This will definately be the last Ford product I'll ever own. It will be my life's mission to discourage anyone else I know from ever buying their junk!!!

ford tough
By Schidler on 04/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 Lariat 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I LOVE MY TRUCK. I bought it used with 79,000 mile on it, it now has 113,000 and I have not had 1 problem. I keep the oil changed and have a K&N filter on it. The only thing I would change is the center console does not lock in the down position. I call it my coffee launcher. If you have a drink in the center console and lean too much on the back of it, it launches the drink all over the back seat. I here they corrected this problem in the later models. I also wish that I had bought the model with the 5.4 liter engine. the 4.6 seems to be a bit weak for the gas mileage that I get (around 12mpg).