Used 1997 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

2007 Update on '97 F150
By Scout

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I purchased this vehicle with 60k miles on it 5 years ago. It has towed a trailer on 1,000 mile trips, been a daily driver. Oil change every 3k, and all scheduled maintenance. I just had the rear differential noise issue arise, and had the dealer use the factory ring and pinon kit...rather then trying used axles. Also new shocks. Other then that, it contines to run well. The ball joints squeak, the truck feels like it is out of alignment when it is not. No complaints otherwise. The 4.6L V8 is okay, not great for power. Likewise 17mpg is as good as mileage gets. If you can find one of these used in good shape, save yourself $20k compared to a new truck.

Favorite Features

Handling, comfort, styling

Suggested Improvements

Squeaky ball joints, rear view mirrors flimsy and expensive.

F-150 Satisfied Owner
By Joe Reynolds

1997 Ford F-150 Lariat 3dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

10 years and 130,000 trouble free miles have been my experience with this vehicle. Excellent in all respects. I got one of the first new 150 body styles.

Favorite Features

Exterior appearance. Paint has been especially durable. It has never been waxed.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel mileage.

Best Vehicle I've Owned
By jrg

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

My ten year old F-150 extended, short bed has paid for itself time and again. It has 133,000 miles, and have only had to replace tires and brake pads. The greatest expense was wire damage thanks to a local rodent. Ford wires must taste good. I get a constant 19 miles per gallon with the 4.6 V-8.

Favorite Features

Comfort, handling, and power.

Suggested Improvements

Ford has already taken care of this, as the F-150 gets better each year.

Great Truck
By srr7sk8r

1997 Ford F-150 Lariat 3dr Extended Cab SB

This truck is now 10 years old and I have owned it for 3 years. It is still reliable everyday and beats the style of the new F-150's by far. The Tritin V8 delivers 210hp and the lariat towing package is a class 3 so i have never had any problems towing anything. Plent of room for up to 6 in the cabin, unlike most tundras. F-150 is all around great american truck, wish they still made them like this. Only improvement would be gas mileage.

Favorite Features

Towing ability, comfort

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage

Should Not Have Broken
By I got a Lemon

1997 Ford F-150 XL 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

Poor fuel economy. Transmission died at 77,000 miles. A/C was blowing a foul smell. Turns out to be a leaking heater core. Replaced that at 105,000. Both were expensive repairs and neither should have gone out that soon. To top it off, I replaced the battery and got two starts out of it. Not the vehicle's fault, but leaves me wondering what is next. I don't trust my Ford to be there for me. I'm looking at other manufacturers.

Favorite Features

Tight turning radius.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy and more reliable parts. Maybe mine was a lemon but I'm turned off from Ford.