Used 1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews - 94 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Super truck
By JRaney

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I purchased my truck used in 01 and have owned it for 6 years and all I have done is maintenance and changed the tranny fluid 2x. My truck always starts and runs great. My father in law has an 05 Silverado with a 5.3L and we always use my truck for heavy loads because they crush his suspension and all I have is the 4.6L. All I wish was better fuel mileage but the truck is almost bulletproof and the 4x4 system is great. All it needs is a locking rear differential.

Great 4x4. strong motor that won't stop, great ride.

Gas mileage, factory speakers

Love my F-150
By bassmax

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Bought my truck with 8,000 since it was in a trade in on a new one at the end of 97. I have 135,000 on it and the only problem was a leak in the rear window which I fixed with silicon. Front end parts sqweek when turning and other than normal wear and tear, that is it. Always change oil at 3-4,000 and filters. My biggest con is not having disc brakes in the rear (which they did in 98). I would buy another Ford pick up. I like Toyota Tundra's but for the extra money, I am not sure it is worth the difference. After 43 years of driving, this is my first Ford. They did good for me.

Comfort, still tight, reliability.

Speakers, low end power/torque

Built Ford tough!
By jim dence

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

I have owned 35 cars to date and my F- 150 is by far the best vehicle that I have owned. Turn the key and it starts every time . Best truck for overall reliability and comfort . I still get compliments on how great it looks for it's age .

The stepside has a very sporty and agressive look to it that draws attention wherever it goes.

With todays fuel prices it's quite costly to fill up, but worth the price in the long run for its safety and reliability.

Awesome Truck!
By Chauncey

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

Bought w/100k on it. Other than tires and oil no major repairs needed. 140k now and replaced front and rear brakes 1 time and replaced 02 sensor and 3 spark plugs and that is it. I use for landscaping so most miles I put on are hard work miles and it does great. Unbelievable traction, comfort. Out of 5 other trucks, this is the best truck I have ever owned and would buy again if I could find one like it.

Comfort, awesome 4x4,long bed, extended cab

Wish they were easier to find. Took a year before I found this one!

Old Blue
By Indy2007

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

My father purchased this truck off a used car lot. It was a one owner and the owner was a old man who wanted a new vehicle. He bought the truck with a little under 1000,000 miles on it. He had to put a new exhaust on it as well as fix a cracked injector and normal wear and tear parts. This was a family truck with a 5.4 triton motor that worked great for pulling our 26 foot camper(6000 pounds roughly). Due to his job he had to buy a 4x4 and gave his son(me) the truck. I drive it to and from college(about 2hrs). and it is wonderful. I have gotten up to 18 mpg(driving senible) but if you drive it hard it can go under 14 mpgs. It's has 150,000 miles and still looks and runs as good as a new one.

It's got the power. Love the bench seat. Lot of room in the cab up to six. Who wouldn't like a rwd with a 5.4 triton motor?

No problems with my F-150!