Used 1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

2007 Update on '97 F150
By Scout

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I purchased this vehicle with 60k miles on it 5 years ago. It has towed a trailer on 1,000 mile trips, been a daily driver. Oil change every 3k, and all scheduled maintenance. I just had the rear differential noise issue arise, and had the dealer use the factory ring and pinon kit...rather then trying used axles. Also new shocks. Other then that, it contines to run well. The ball joints squeak, the truck feels like it is out of alignment when it is not. No complaints otherwise. The 4.6L V8 is okay, not great for power. Likewise 17mpg is as good as mileage gets. If you can find one of these used in good shape, save yourself $20k compared to a new truck.

Handling, comfort, styling

Squeaky ball joints, rear view mirrors flimsy and expensive.

F-150 Satisfied Owner
By Joe Reynolds

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Lariat 3dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

10 years and 130,000 trouble free miles have been my experience with this vehicle. Excellent in all respects. I got one of the first new 150 body styles.

Exterior appearance. Paint has been especially durable. It has never been waxed.

Better fuel mileage.

Best Vehicle I've Owned
By jrg

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

My ten year old F-150 extended, short bed has paid for itself time and again. It has 133,000 miles, and have only had to replace tires and brake pads. The greatest expense was wire damage thanks to a local rodent. Ford wires must taste good. I get a constant 19 miles per gallon with the 4.6 V-8.

Comfort, handling, and power.

Ford has already taken care of this, as the F-150 gets better each year.

Great Truck
By srr7sk8r

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Lariat 3dr Extended Cab SB

This truck is now 10 years old and I have owned it for 3 years. It is still reliable everyday and beats the style of the new F-150's by far. The Tritin V8 delivers 210hp and the lariat towing package is a class 3 so i have never had any problems towing anything. Plent of room for up to 6 in the cabin, unlike most tundras. F-150 is all around great american truck, wish they still made them like this. Only improvement would be gas mileage.

Towing ability, comfort

Better gas mileage

Best truck I ever owned
By Jerrys Truck

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I now have 275,000 miles on my 97 F150. The only thing I have had to do to it is new front brake pads, new fan belt, 1 new battery, change plugs and plug wires twice, 3 sets of tires, 1 set of shocks, 1 coil pack, and kept the oil changed. Everything else is original. If this truck was to quit on me today I would buy another one. I park it on a concrete driveway every day and there is not one drop of fluid where it sits. I love driving a truck that is paid for and I can depend on!

Best riding truck I have every road in. Still looks new.

Stereo system needs better speakers!