1997 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:
best bang for the buck
By gonzo on 02/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

after six years and over 146,000 miles my f150 supercab looks and runs great. only minor repairs of normal wear and tear. engine and tranny are still as smooth as the day i bought it. overall, great fit and finish. this is my fourth ford truck and it's by far the best I've ever had. my next truck is definitely a ford.

this is the best!
By alex013 on 01/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck used with 60,000 miles on it. Now after two and half years and around 122,000 on the odometer I had nothing exept the scheduled mainanence. What else could you add to it?

HANDS DOWN BEST TRUCK!
By PAUL LOTTON on 01/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I HAVE TO SAY THAT AFTER HAVING THREE DODGES AND ONE CHEVEY, THIS TRUCK IS THE BEST VEHICLE I HAVE EVER OWNED! I HAVE A 97 F-150 THAT HAS OVER 185,000 MILES AND I MUST SAY THAT MAINTANACE IS ALMOST NON-EXISTANT. I HAVE ONLY KEPT THE OIL CHANGES UP AND I HAVE GIVEN IT YEARLY TUNE-UPS AND THATS IT. THIS TRUCK IS ALL ORIGINAL RIGHT DOWN TO THE FUEL PUMP! MY ONLY COMPAINT IS THAT THE 4.6 LITER V-8 IS A BIT OF A GAS HOG.

The not so reliable F-150
By rdleisey on 12/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased my F-150 new in 02/97. To date I have spent over $4000.00 in maintenance and repair costs at my local ford dealership. After sinking $2800.00 in the truck over the last 40,000 miles and then having starting problems I was told that the head gasket on the truck was blown and it would need a new engine at a cost of 0ver $3500.00. So, buyers beware, not all ford F-150's are created equal.

I love it.
By MattyMatty on 11/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Great Truck. It has not failed me and runs great every time it is started.

good truck
By laddco enterprises on 07/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

good truck. very reliable

Great Truck New
By JerryT on 04/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

This vehicle I purchased was a great truck till about 85000 miles, then the transmission started acting up. I suggest, if you buy a ford truck to trade it in around 80000 if you plan on keeping it for a while. Whereas transmissions can be repaired, once they start acting up they will never be the same again and reliability will never be above 65% on a rebuilt transmission.