1997 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:
Super truck
By JRaney on 06/26/08 10:21 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I purchased my truck used in 01 and have owned it for 6 years and all I have done is maintenance and changed the tranny fluid 2x. My truck always starts and runs great. My father in law has an 05 Silverado with a 5.3L and we always use my truck for heavy loads because they crush his suspension and all I have is the 4.6L. All I wish was better fuel mileage but the truck is almost bulletproof and the 4x4 system is great. All it needs is a locking rear differential.

Love my F-150
By bassmax on 06/04/08 06:17 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Bought my truck with 8,000 since it was in a trade in on a new one at the end of 97. I have 135,000 on it and the only problem was a leak in the rear window which I fixed with silicon. Front end parts sqweek when turning and other than normal wear and tear, that is it. Always change oil at 3-4,000 and filters. My biggest con is not having disc brakes in the rear (which they did in 98). I would buy another Ford pick up. I like Toyota Tundra's but for the extra money, I am not sure it is worth the difference. After 43 years of driving, this is my first Ford. They did good for me.

Built Ford tough!
By jim dence on 05/11/08 17:32 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

I have owned 35 cars to date and my F- 150 is by far the best vehicle that I have owned. Turn the key and it starts every time . Best truck for overall reliability and comfort . I still get compliments on how great it looks for it's age .

Awesome Truck!
By Chauncey on 02/10/08 13:41 PM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

Bought w/100k on it. Other than tires and oil no major repairs needed. 140k now and replaced front and rear brakes 1 time and replaced 02 sensor and 3 spark plugs and that is it. I use for landscaping so most miles I put on are hard work miles and it does great. Unbelievable traction, comfort. Out of 5 other trucks, this is the best truck I have ever owned and would buy again if I could find one like it.

Old Blue
By Indy2007 on 08/20/07 15:02 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

My father purchased this truck off a used car lot. It was a one owner and the owner was a old man who wanted a new vehicle. He bought the truck with a little under 1000,000 miles on it. He had to put a new exhaust on it as well as fix a cracked injector and normal wear and tear parts. This was a family truck with a 5.4 triton motor that worked great for pulling our 26 foot camper(6000 pounds roughly). Due to his job he had to buy a 4x4 and gave his son(me) the truck. I drive it to and from college(about 2hrs). and it is wonderful. I have gotten up to 18 mpg(driving senible) but if you drive it hard it can go under 14 mpgs. It's has 150,000 miles and still looks and runs as good as a new one.

2007 Update on '97 F150
By Scout on 06/05/07 14:14 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I purchased this vehicle with 60k miles on it 5 years ago. It has towed a trailer on 1,000 mile trips, been a daily driver. Oil change every 3k, and all scheduled maintenance. I just had the rear differential noise issue arise, and had the dealer use the factory ring and pinon kit...rather then trying used axles. Also new shocks. Other then that, it contines to run well. The ball joints squeak, the truck feels like it is out of alignment when it is not. No complaints otherwise. The 4.6L V8 is okay, not great for power. Likewise 17mpg is as good as mileage gets. If you can find one of these used in good shape, save yourself $20k compared to a new truck.

F-150 Satisfied Owner
By Joe Reynolds on 06/03/07 17:49 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 Lariat 3dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

10 years and 130,000 trouble free miles have been my experience with this vehicle. Excellent in all respects. I got one of the first new 150 body styles.

Best Vehicle I've Owned
By jrg on 05/15/07 12:38 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

My ten year old F-150 extended, short bed has paid for itself time and again. It has 133,000 miles, and have only had to replace tires and brake pads. The greatest expense was wire damage thanks to a local rodent. Ford wires must taste good. I get a constant 19 miles per gallon with the 4.6 V-8.

Great Truck
By srr7sk8r on 05/08/07 22:25 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 Lariat 3dr Extended Cab SB

This truck is now 10 years old and I have owned it for 3 years. It is still reliable everyday and beats the style of the new F-150's by far. The Tritin V8 delivers 210hp and the lariat towing package is a class 3 so i have never had any problems towing anything. Plent of room for up to 6 in the cabin, unlike most tundras. F-150 is all around great american truck, wish they still made them like this. Only improvement would be gas mileage.

Should Not Have Broken
By I got a Lemon on 01/24/07 02:34 AM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 XL 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

Poor fuel economy. Transmission died at 77,000 miles. A/C was blowing a foul smell. Turns out to be a leaking heater core. Replaced that at 105,000. Both were expensive repairs and neither should have gone out that soon. To top it off, I replaced the battery and got two starts out of it. Not the vehicle's fault, but leaves me wondering what is next. I don't trust my Ford to be there for me. I'm looking at other manufacturers.