Used 1997 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Built Ford Tough
By nascar_nfl

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I purchased this truck new in 1997 and it has held up great ever since. I now have almost 190,000 on this truck and it runs perfect. I have installed lots of aftermarket parts to the truck and have always taken care of it. I live in the Mountains of Southern West Virginia so this truck sees alot of road salt during the winter but still has no rust. I take this thing off roading alot to and it NEVER gets stuck and Ihave been in some deep mud and water. The interior has plenty of romm and I am 6'3". It is also stylish and has good sound from the speakers. Built Ford Tough!!!

Favorite Features

Good Power from the 4.6 V8, 4x4 never fails, great locking rear differential

Suggested Improvements

none

Never Again. Ever.
By RandallFord

1997 Ford F-150 XL 2dr Regular Cab LB

I purchased this new off the lot. I was so proud to be a Ford man like my daddy before me. This truck is such poor quality that you might think it was just a lemon. Sadly, it is all just phenomenally substandard engineering. In the first few years, things seemed good. But at 50k miles the engine began to go south. By 75000 miles, it began drinking my coolant. The dealership could identify no problems. At 102,000 miles the engine blew up. Turns out it honestly was poor design. In a moment of candor, a mechanic said I was lucky I got 100,000 miles. Problems: transmission, breaks, clutch, radiator, electronics, and finally engine.

Favorite Features

The indentations in the bed to create double stacks for hauling. Not practical, but neat. Comfy seats.

Suggested Improvements

Hire new engineers. Take some hints from other makers whose engines last 200k+

Unreliable after year 5
By cougar10

1997 Ford F-150 XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

My family purchased this truck new for my brother. My brother didn't like it so my dad drove it and when I got my license I inherited this pile of junk (it was 10 years old). When i first started driving it it was ok but lately its been making sudden jerks and noises. After i drive it for a little bit the motor keeps on making noise. The temperature gauge has caused it to die. I have to hit the tailgate to open it. My family has only had Chevys before this and we are all going back to Chevys. Built Ford Tough is a big understatement. I can't wait to get something nicer.

Favorite Features

Well the only thing is the interior holds up decently over many years.

Suggested Improvements

Well the newer ones look ok but make sure they are reliable for many years because many people like to keep their vehicles for long amounts of time.

ford f150 lariat 4wd stepside fully load
By optimotoke

1997 Ford F-150 Lariat 3dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

love love love this truck

Favorite Features

4wd, leather seats, hard taneau cover, extented cab size. back seats fold down, just about everything

Suggested Improvements

gets 15-20 mpg. which is okay since the considering the size of he truck but i would like it run on e85 or something like that.

Original Owner, Great Value Truck
By Bad da Bingg

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I bought the 4.6 L V8 4x4 XLT when our kids were just small enough to fit easily in the extended cab. Now that they're grown and gone, the truck keeps on doing truck duty. Those are boat hauling, camping, motorcycle transport and skiing. This truck has needed brakes and shocks but nothing else beyond routine maintenance. I look at newer trucks and laugh at the pricing and fuel efficiency, my truck still compares nicely.

Favorite Features

The truck was ahead of it's time in design and features but 4 wheel disc are not included.

Suggested Improvements

Better brakes came in 1998-99?