Used 1997 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

4.2 engine a bust
By Disappointed

1997 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab LB

I purchased this vehicle not even a yr ago, had been driving Fords for over 20 yrs with my job. But will never again purchase a Ford product until they make a engine that is reliable again. What a disappointment. Ford, you can do better or else stand by your product. 4.2 liter engine a bust.

Engine

Best truck I ever had
By Steve

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I had to replace my exhaust manifold as soon as I bought it. It was the poor quality factory bolts. I put in 2 starters, the 1st replacement starter was bad. I get oil on the spark plug nearest the passenger side firewall. That causes my idiot light to come on and stay on. Having said all of that it is still the best truck in every way I have ever owned.

Everything

make the spark plug issue a recall or just fix at the dealer free and the same with the manifold.

LOVE MY TRUCK
By josh

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have owned a 2000 Silverado before my ford . The only thing i miss is the Eton Locker in the rear and the AUTO 4WD. This truck gets GREAT MPG i hand calculated it at 22 mpg! that was at 65 mph and 295/85R16 BFGoodrich all terrians and the A/C on!!. my favorite part is the sound it has a mean growl in the exhaust that makes all other trucks wet there oil pans!!!. Also the engine in it is a 4.6 TRITON. I LOVE IT!!! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Pull's like a dream i regularly pull 4 Big polaris quads on a 15 foot trailer.

Exhaust,4X4 system,high ground clearance, and its a FORD.

CHEVY owners trade in your sissy truck it sits as high as my granny's mini van.

Built Ford Tough
By nascar_nfl

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I purchased this truck new in 1997 and it has held up great ever since. I now have almost 190,000 on this truck and it runs perfect. I have installed lots of aftermarket parts to the truck and have always taken care of it. I live in the Mountains of Southern West Virginia so this truck sees alot of road salt during the winter but still has no rust. I take this thing off roading alot to and it NEVER gets stuck and Ihave been in some deep mud and water. The interior has plenty of romm and I am 6'3". It is also stylish and has good sound from the speakers. Built Ford Tough!!!

Good Power from the 4.6 V8, 4x4 never fails, great locking rear differential

none

Never Again. Ever.
By RandallFord

1997 Ford F-150 XL 2dr Regular Cab LB

I purchased this new off the lot. I was so proud to be a Ford man like my daddy before me. This truck is such poor quality that you might think it was just a lemon. Sadly, it is all just phenomenally substandard engineering. In the first few years, things seemed good. But at 50k miles the engine began to go south. By 75000 miles, it began drinking my coolant. The dealership could identify no problems. At 102,000 miles the engine blew up. Turns out it honestly was poor design. In a moment of candor, a mechanic said I was lucky I got 100,000 miles. Problems: transmission, breaks, clutch, radiator, electronics, and finally engine.

The indentations in the bed to create double stacks for hauling. Not practical, but neat. Comfy seats.

Hire new engineers. Take some hints from other makers whose engines last 200k+