Used 1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Made to last
By zee

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab LB

It's been a great truck, turned 218,000 miles, just regular maintenance. Well it finally left me on the road. Not trucks fault, differential ran dry. I been taking it to NTB for regular changes and they never checked it. Shame on them. I am having it fixed. 4.6 L engine keep on purring !

Runs great, extended cab and 6 disc changer

Body is rusting and started to fall apart in the last 2-3 years but then it is 14 yrs old and I did rust proof it and NE Ohio weather can take a toll on vehicles.

So far-so good-
By cj

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

After reviewing this site for several vehicles I was looking at; I'm happy to say that I decided on the F-150. Granted I have only had this beautiful black truck for twenty-four hours! It has high mileage,154,000, but runs and handles real strong. My roommate has a Chevy Quad cab 4wd long bed which I enjoyed driving except it was hard to park and turn corners, but the truck was fun to drive. This truck gives me equal pleasure, with the added bonus of turning corners easily and ease of parking. The ride is smooth, and everything is working at this point. There is a worn ball joint that will need to be replaced soon. Will post again as my time grows with this truck.

The ride, visibility, and comfort. Front end is solid and smooth, engine is a 302, and runs real strong. The overall looks are nice.

Fuel mileage, and wish they would have made it 4 door instead of just a 3 for the extended cab, oh well.

Best truck I ever had
By Steve

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I had to replace my exhaust manifold as soon as I bought it. It was the poor quality factory bolts. I put in 2 starters, the 1st replacement starter was bad. I get oil on the spark plug nearest the passenger side firewall. That causes my idiot light to come on and stay on. Having said all of that it is still the best truck in every way I have ever owned.

Everything

make the spark plug issue a recall or just fix at the dealer free and the same with the manifold.

LOVE MY TRUCK
By josh

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have owned a 2000 Silverado before my ford . The only thing i miss is the Eton Locker in the rear and the AUTO 4WD. This truck gets GREAT MPG i hand calculated it at 22 mpg! that was at 65 mph and 295/85R16 BFGoodrich all terrians and the A/C on!!. my favorite part is the sound it has a mean growl in the exhaust that makes all other trucks wet there oil pans!!!. Also the engine in it is a 4.6 TRITON. I LOVE IT!!! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Pull's like a dream i regularly pull 4 Big polaris quads on a 15 foot trailer.

Exhaust,4X4 system,high ground clearance, and its a FORD.

CHEVY owners trade in your sissy truck it sits as high as my granny's mini van.

Built Ford Tough
By nascar_nfl

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I purchased this truck new in 1997 and it has held up great ever since. I now have almost 190,000 on this truck and it runs perfect. I have installed lots of aftermarket parts to the truck and have always taken care of it. I live in the Mountains of Southern West Virginia so this truck sees alot of road salt during the winter but still has no rust. I take this thing off roading alot to and it NEVER gets stuck and Ihave been in some deep mud and water. The interior has plenty of romm and I am 6'3". It is also stylish and has good sound from the speakers. Built Ford Tough!!!

Good Power from the 4.6 V8, 4x4 never fails, great locking rear differential