Used 1997 Ford F-150 XLT Consumer Reviews - 27 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Old Blue
By Indy2007

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

My father purchased this truck off a used car lot. It was a one owner and the owner was a old man who wanted a new vehicle. He bought the truck with a little under 1000,000 miles on it. He had to put a new exhaust on it as well as fix a cracked injector and normal wear and tear parts. This was a family truck with a 5.4 triton motor that worked great for pulling our 26 foot camper(6000 pounds roughly). Due to his job he had to buy a 4x4 and gave his son(me) the truck. I drive it to and from college(about 2hrs). and it is wonderful. I have gotten up to 18 mpg(driving senible) but if you drive it hard it can go under 14 mpgs. It's has 150,000 miles and still looks and runs as good as a new one.

It's got the power. Love the bench seat. Lot of room in the cab up to six. Who wouldn't like a rwd with a 5.4 triton motor?

No problems with my F-150!

Best Vehicle I've Owned
By jrg

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

My ten year old F-150 extended, short bed has paid for itself time and again. It has 133,000 miles, and have only had to replace tires and brake pads. The greatest expense was wire damage thanks to a local rodent. Ford wires must taste good. I get a constant 19 miles per gallon with the 4.6 V-8.

Comfort, handling, and power.

Ford has already taken care of this, as the F-150 gets better each year.

Best truck I ever owned
By Jerrys Truck

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I now have 275,000 miles on my 97 F150. The only thing I have had to do to it is new front brake pads, new fan belt, 1 new battery, change plugs and plug wires twice, 3 sets of tires, 1 set of shocks, 1 coil pack, and kept the oil changed. Everything else is original. If this truck was to quit on me today I would buy another one. I park it on a concrete driveway every day and there is not one drop of fluid where it sits. I love driving a truck that is paid for and I can depend on!

Best riding truck I have every road in. Still looks new.

Stereo system needs better speakers!

Good American Product
By hydropump

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Good experience, drives easily. Minor problems recently with "fault light" erratic turn on/off. No material structural problems. Normal tire wear. No alignment problems. This is my most recent Ford and much better service than 1988 and 1978 similar versions.

Super Cab.

Four doors on supercab models would be a better arrangement.

Good Truck
By TN

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this new in 1997 and put on 151,000 miles on it in 9 years. It is well built and reliable. The only unscheduled repair was when the transmission broke at 98,000 miles. It was rebuilt for $2,000. Otherwise, absolutely no problems. Now at 151,000 miles it needs some repair but it shouldn't be too bad considering the low repair history so far. I'd say investing $2,000 now would buy me another 3 years of trouble free driving. Don't be afraid to grab one of these used if it has a clean bill of health. It will last you a long time.

Smooth ride, nice styling. Decent standard options. Peppy engine (4.6 L V8).

No real gripes. It's well designed.