1997 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:
Couldn't Ask For Anything Else
By Great Truck on 12/31/04 16:17 PM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Bought it new. Original brakes lasted 80k and first set of tires lasted 90k. Unbelievable but true. One breakdown in 8 years (ignition interlock). Plan on keeping it for as long as possible.

Don't Buy a Ford
By shags on 05/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Shortly aftr purchasing this vehicle (it was used) I discovered it had a problem with maintaining adequate oil pressure. The truck had only 39000 miles on the clock! A local Ford dealer as well as an independant mechanic told me the engine was shot and they would gladly replace it for 3500 - 3800 dollars. Ford Motor Co. refused to make a good faith adjustment for a problem that was clearly a defect. This will definately be the last Ford product I'll ever own. It will be my life's mission to discourage anyone else I know from ever buying their junk!!!

By phili on 11/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Ilove to drive my truck.

I love My Truck!!
By discodave34448 on 10/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Boguth it with 25000 miles put 75 on it in about 3.5 years. Just had to put a new alternator on it. Other than that only brakes and general maintenance. Very very well built truck, still drives unbelievably tight.

Ford F-150 -ex-cab w/3rd door
By cruzer39 on 07/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Bought this truck with 92000 miles on it from a consumer. Truck gave no problems whatsoever until it reached 121000 miles and without warning the motor slung a rod thru the oil pan. Oil had been changed every 3500 miles. Motor was making no noise until one morning I went to start it and then is when the motor went out. Cost of repairs were $3200. This is the only trouble I have had with this vehicle. Up until then I have been very pleased with this vehicle. Well built, but could use more horsepower for the weight of the vehicle. At least it did give up in my driveway instead of the highway!!!!!

Good truck
By fordtough on 07/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

We bought the truck with 12,000 miles and now have over 120k with no problems. I averaged 22 mpg on the interstate on a recent trip running 70 mph with a/c on. Only thing I would add to this truck is about 10 more hp, the 4.6 is a little weak.

not that shabby
By kboz on 05/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

not all the F-150s break down. I bought mine used with 90k miles on it, now have it up to 112k. Never have had engine problems. Only things were new tires, passenger side window motor replaced, battery replaced at 100k, taillights replaced. Rides a little rough b/c of worn down suspension. V6 is lousy for quick power needs, go with a V8. Interior is plain, nothing great about it, but for a good truck overall it can't be beat.

Ford F-150 There's no mistaking it!
By Michael WPa on 04/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Make sure to have the tailpipe moved behind the rear passenger wheel or your cap on the back tire will start to turn green. I have turned many friends and family members to the Ford F-150 and they have been singing the praises since moving from Dodge and Chevy!

1997 Ford F150 Excab with V6
By mbehr55 on 03/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Great truck except the V6 engine blew at 85000 miles. Head gasket or intake gasket leaked water into one cylinder causing hydraulic lockup. Piston broke and rod went through the oil pan.

Drive train Headaches
By Donald Badstuebner on 02/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

This truck is equiped with a 4.2 liter v6 motor. It is pleasant to drive although it is not very peppy. Gas mileage averages about 14 to 15 MPG which is about 65 % highway driving. I recently had a coolant leak in the timing chain cover. A local garage that employed a Ford trained and certified replaced the leaking gasket. I got the truck back and after driving it less than 300 miles the motor lost oil pressure and seriously damaged the engine(needed a new engine @$3800). Ford has had problems with the design and(or) manufacturing of some of their motors in recent years.