Used 1997 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Unreliable after year 5
By cougar10

1997 Ford F-150 XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

My family purchased this truck new for my brother. My brother didn't like it so my dad drove it and when I got my license I inherited this pile of junk (it was 10 years old). When i first started driving it it was ok but lately its been making sudden jerks and noises. After i drive it for a little bit the motor keeps on making noise. The temperature gauge has caused it to die. I have to hit the tailgate to open it. My family has only had Chevys before this and we are all going back to Chevys. Built Ford Tough is a big understatement. I can't wait to get something nicer.

Favorite Features

Well the only thing is the interior holds up decently over many years.

Suggested Improvements

Well the newer ones look ok but make sure they are reliable for many years because many people like to keep their vehicles for long amounts of time.

4.2 engine a bust
By Disappointed

1997 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab LB

I purchased this vehicle not even a yr ago, had been driving Fords for over 20 yrs with my job. But will never again purchase a Ford product until they make a engine that is reliable again. What a disappointment. Ford, you can do better or else stand by your product. 4.2 liter engine a bust.

Suggested Improvements

Engine

Don't Buy a Ford
By shags

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Shortly aftr purchasing this vehicle (it was used) I discovered it had a problem with maintaining adequate oil pressure. The truck had only 39000 miles on the clock! A local Ford dealer as well as an independant mechanic told me the engine was shot and they would gladly replace it for 3500 - 3800 dollars. Ford Motor Co. refused to make a good faith adjustment for a problem that was clearly a defect. This will definately be the last Ford product I'll ever own. It will be my life's mission to discourage anyone else I know from ever buying their junk!!!

Favorite Features

The wheels didn't fall off...yet.

Suggested Improvements

Build a vehicle with the quality found in Japanese cars. My other car is a 1997 Toyota Avalon. It currently has nearly 90K miles and is flawless. FORD - STAND BEHIND YOUR PRODUCT.

F 150 junk
By cchfd

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

No more Fords for me. Truck has extensive work done to it from transmissions to exhaust manifolds. Not reliable and would never own another one.

Favorite Features

Interior.

Suggested Improvements

Better parts not inferior expensive junk.

Junk!
By jeff

1997 Ford F-150 Lariat 3dr Extended Cab LB

Motor had radiator fluid in the vents, Walker Ford completely finished off the motor trying to fix it! I drove it in and had to tow the truck out!

Favorite Features

the favorite feature is that i traded this junker in on a toyota truck,i love the toyota so much,i also traded my wife's gran am for a corrola, happy ever after!

Suggested Improvements

close walker ford,and the punk walker in charge of the service department