1997 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:
Built Ford Tough
By nascar_nfl on 11/24/09 06:33 AM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I purchased this truck new in 1997 and it has held up great ever since. I now have almost 190,000 on this truck and it runs perfect. I have installed lots of aftermarket parts to the truck and have always taken care of it. I live in the Mountains of Southern West Virginia so this truck sees alot of road salt during the winter but still has no rust. I take this thing off roading alot to and it NEVER gets stuck and Ihave been in some deep mud and water. The interior has plenty of romm and I am 6'3". It is also stylish and has good sound from the speakers. Built Ford Tough!!!

Never Again. Ever.
By RandallFord on 06/22/09 07:34 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XL 2dr Regular Cab LB

I purchased this new off the lot. I was so proud to be a Ford man like my daddy before me. This truck is such poor quality that you might think it was just a lemon. Sadly, it is all just phenomenally substandard engineering. In the first few years, things seemed good. But at 50k miles the engine began to go south. By 75000 miles, it began drinking my coolant. The dealership could identify no problems. At 102,000 miles the engine blew up. Turns out it honestly was poor design. In a moment of candor, a mechanic said I was lucky I got 100,000 miles. Problems: transmission, breaks, clutch, radiator, electronics, and finally engine.

Unreliable after year 5
By cougar10 on 06/07/09 20:27 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

My family purchased this truck new for my brother. My brother didn't like it so my dad drove it and when I got my license I inherited this pile of junk (it was 10 years old). When i first started driving it it was ok but lately its been making sudden jerks and noises. After i drive it for a little bit the motor keeps on making noise. The temperature gauge has caused it to die. I have to hit the tailgate to open it. My family has only had Chevys before this and we are all going back to Chevys. Built Ford Tough is a big understatement. I can't wait to get something nicer.

ford f150 lariat 4wd stepside fully load
By optimotoke on 06/01/09 09:51 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 Lariat 3dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

love love love this truck

Original Owner, Great Value Truck
By Bad da Bingg on 02/12/09 18:56 PM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I bought the 4.6 L V8 4x4 XLT when our kids were just small enough to fit easily in the extended cab. Now that they're grown and gone, the truck keeps on doing truck duty. Those are boat hauling, camping, motorcycle transport and skiing. This truck has needed brakes and shocks but nothing else beyond routine maintenance. I look at newer trucks and laugh at the pricing and fuel efficiency, my truck still compares nicely.

Fix Or Repair Daily
By bigruss on 10/25/08 14:33 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I have a 1997 F-150 XLT 4x4 with approx 165000 mi, ran well when just bought but developed a heavy cylinder misfiring issue. This is common with many F-150s especially the 4.6L V-8. I had to take the truck into the shop 3 times to fix the issue and the cause still cannot be diagnosed today. It is still misfiring! I do know that I have to keep changing my spark plugs which are almost impossible to gain access to. The total cost of repairs on this issue is now near $500. Another issue with this F-150 is the 4 wheel drive system. It mal-engages and a I hear a big BOOM underneath the cab. I engage it normally by setting it in neutral and then switching it. Ford must improve their quality!

Slightly modded, but was fine before.
By Al Hoyt on 08/08/08 06:18 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XL 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

I own a 97 Ford F-150 XL Step-Side, 4.2L V6. Of course the V6 is lighter and quicker then the 4.6L I run all over 4.6's Tranny went out before I bought the truck, which suprised me, usually Ford trannys, especaily manuals are indestructible. Nothing at all has gone wrong with it other than that. I have 115,000 miles on it now. I installed a belltech 6" drop for better handling. Very tight turning radius. Very lightweight. And I get better mileage than my dad's 4.6L. Very well built truck. Fun to drive, starts effortlessly every morning. I never worry about anything.

Ford Tough
By Larry on 07/10/08 17:33 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 Lariat 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought this truck from original owner with 60k miles on it. It now has 215k and is like new! Other than ordinary maintenance, I put a new radiator in at 150k and an alternator at 195k. Heads have never been off. It just keeps running and everything works. Paint is unbelievable. People can't believe it's 10 yrs old. I fully expect to get at least 250k from this completely stock 5.4L beauty.

Overall very nice truck
By Earl on 07/06/08 14:08 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Very comfortable ride. Quiet engine. Mileage good for large truck. Has 100,000 miles on it. Looks and runs like new truck

I do not trust this vehicle
By ice cream man on 07/03/08 11:25 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

I like the drive but I cannot keep it on the road because I've had numerous problems. I have replaced the engine twice in less than a year and the transmision during this time and now I am experiencing a vacuum leak. I will never invest in anything that has the name Ford on it, even if it is a toy.