Used 1997 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

F-150 Built Tough by Ford
By Fraedna

1997 Ford F-150 Lariat 3dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

I own with 0 miles, On the first month of use, I learned it had defective front shocks; the dealer changed them for new ones. It currently has 52,000 miles on it. I've changed the front pads twice for regular wear, change engine oil every 3,000 miles and have already changed tranny oil at 48,000 miles. At 25,000 miles I noticed a problem in the driver side window, so I changed the window motor for one that I bought on ebay. Not a single engine problem. Mileage of 13mpg in city is not so good, but it's a 5,400 pound vehicle with a 5.4 liter engine.

Favorite Features

4 x 4 shift on the fly, 6 disc CD changer, Stylish look, ride quality for a 4 X 4 pickup, leather confort, engine reliabillity,

Suggested Improvements

Shift on fly button relocation, lights on the cruise control and side mirror button. Gas mileage at least to 17 mpg on city 23 mpg highway. Front headlights are very opaque with sun; need a better material that won't fade. Coil #5 misfired because water of defroster directly affects, needs relocation.

Tough FORD
By srr7sk8r

1997 Ford F-150 Lariat 3dr Extended Cab SB

F-150's are the greatest trucks out there. Haven't had any problems and no complaints. Built tough.

Favorite Features

power and exterior style, looks much better than the NEW f-150s

Suggested Improvements

none

great
By stsi

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab LB

AWESOME!!It has a lot of raw power. Must buy

Favorite Features

POWER!!!

Suggested Improvements

NONE!

redesign engine
By NICHOLEMARIE

1997 Ford F-150 Lariat 2dr Regular Cab LB

my f-150 2 dr 4.2 ltr has been sitting at my dealer ship for 6 months. the engine died at 68000 miles and ford will not take responsibility for this. i have gotten in touch with attorney general in my area( consumer protection) and waiting to here from them. i dont think i will ever buy another ford, also the total of the bill is 5000.00 that i don't have! this truck was maintained very well, and this really makes me furious!!!!! is there anyone that i could write to other than what i have done already? is there an address that i could write to and make sure they get it? please let me know. thankyou, lisa

Favorite Features

i havent driven it in so long i forgot

Suggested Improvements

FORD NEEDS TO STAND BY THEIR ENGINE AND COVER THE COST FOR THE CONSUMER, THIS WILL DEFINITELY LOSE SALES!!!!!!

Dependability pure and simple
By galaxie64

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

I have over 150,000 miles on this truck and it has yet to have 1 single part break in the drivetrain or anywhere else for that matter. I don't baby it either and have many performance mods yet this truck doesn't leak a drop of fluid and now gets over 15mpg--A really good number for the 5.4L. I plan to keep it for the forseeable future.

Favorite Features

5.4L powerhouse Styling

Suggested Improvements

Could have a little better ride but it is a truck not a cadillac, thank god.