Used 1997 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

My '97 Used P/U
By Jack Latty

1997 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

Vehicle has been very good. It has done all I've asked of it, both in a "fun" situation and in a work situation. It handles well, however, fuel economy, particularly in light of extremely high fuel prices, could be better. It averages only about 14 MPG. I have a '01 Expedition, with a larger engine that gets much better mileage. (P/U has a 4.6 V8, Expedition has a 5.4 V8) I would not hesitate to recommend this year model to anyone looking for a good used P/U.

4WD as we work as hosts at an RV/ATV campground in the Oregon Dunes

Electronic shift to 4WD.

Best vehicle I've owned
By Allan

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

Other than my heater core going out and the blender-door motor breaking, this truck has been the most reliable and comfortable vehicle I have driven. I must say it is one of Ford's best vehicles ever made. Fuel economy is a downside, but with a K & N air filter and fiberglass tonneau cover, I get 25 mpg on the highway and 16 in the city. If you want a truck, get an F-150.

The nice sound of the engine, the comfort, and the smooth ride.

I know the technology is out there to improve the fuel economy of a vehicle this size. Also, some features should not have been electronic, such as the knob that controls the blender door determining the temperature of the air blowing out the vents.

Girl's Truck
By reelqueen

1997 Ford F-150 3dr Extended Cab LB

Loved the truck as soon as I saw it. Didn't think I could drive and maneuver it. Found it to be a great ride and tows our boat with no problem.

The color which is teal.

The front seat needs some redesigning.

Very dissatisfied
By BradB

1997 Ford F-150 XL 2dr Regular Cab LB

Broken engine at 71,000 miles from ONP 99-20-7 (TSB99-20-7) due to front cover gasket leaking into crankcase. Ford and dealer will do nothing. This vehicle, alone with many others, was not on the notification list about the problem. That means that these owners were never notified that it may fail. I even had it into dealer while under warranty, when the heater quit working. Guess why? You got it - low coolant! Their lame excuse was a disconnected tube or something. They covered it up. It's been sitting in my yard for 2 yrs. Broken tie rod while driving, crankshaft pulley broke off on highway, very poor gas mileage. My new truck is a Silverado.

Drives nice (at least it used to). Now it's a lawn ornament, pending possible civil action.

Notify all buyers of potential problems, not just a select few based on build date, location, etc. At least some people had the chance to replace the bad front cover before total engine failure.

I Love It
By Tom Gapch

1997 Ford F-150 XL 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I love this truck. I've had it for 8 years with nothing but normal maintenence. When it comes time to sell, I plan on getting the same truck with the same features. It handles great in all types of weather, and here in NJ we get all types of weather. It's been reliable, and we've used it for 7 trips down to Tuscaloosa, AL. (998 miles) with no problems. I have severe back problems, but because of the lumbar support captain chairs, I have not had to stop to get out of the vehicle to stretch. In fact, the only time we stop is for gas (about every 5 hours). I'm 6' 4", and cannot fit into a lot of vehicles. There's plenty of room to fit 4 people in the back, even with my seat back.

6 disc CD player.

I would suggest two things. 1. Have the 6 disc CD changer mounted in the dash rather than in the back. 2. Switch the seating arrangement of the 60-40 bench seating in the extra cab to 40-60. This would allow a third person to sit next to the third door with more storage space.

• SUV