Used 1997 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Very dissatisfied
By BradB

1997 Ford F-150 XL 2dr Regular Cab LB

Broken engine at 71,000 miles from ONP 99-20-7 (TSB99-20-7) due to front cover gasket leaking into crankcase. Ford and dealer will do nothing. This vehicle, alone with many others, was not on the notification list about the problem. That means that these owners were never notified that it may fail. I even had it into dealer while under warranty, when the heater quit working. Guess why? You got it - low coolant! Their lame excuse was a disconnected tube or something. They covered it up. It's been sitting in my yard for 2 yrs. Broken tie rod while driving, crankshaft pulley broke off on highway, very poor gas mileage. My new truck is a Silverado.

Drives nice (at least it used to). Now it's a lawn ornament, pending possible civil action.

Notify all buyers of potential problems, not just a select few based on build date, location, etc. At least some people had the chance to replace the bad front cover before total engine failure.

I Love It
By Tom Gapch

1997 Ford F-150 XL 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I love this truck. I've had it for 8 years with nothing but normal maintenence. When it comes time to sell, I plan on getting the same truck with the same features. It handles great in all types of weather, and here in NJ we get all types of weather. It's been reliable, and we've used it for 7 trips down to Tuscaloosa, AL. (998 miles) with no problems. I have severe back problems, but because of the lumbar support captain chairs, I have not had to stop to get out of the vehicle to stretch. In fact, the only time we stop is for gas (about every 5 hours). I'm 6' 4", and cannot fit into a lot of vehicles. There's plenty of room to fit 4 people in the back, even with my seat back.

6 disc CD player.

I would suggest two things. 1. Have the 6 disc CD changer mounted in the dash rather than in the back. 2. Switch the seating arrangement of the 60-40 bench seating in the extra cab to 40-60. This would allow a third person to sit next to the third door with more storage space.

Great Truck
By PETER LOVEITT

1997 Ford F-150 Lariat 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this used, with 78K miles. First owner had taken very good care of truck with a lot of highway commute miles. I have continued with good up keep, only having to replace lower ball joints and front brakes and disks. Only wish 4.6L had more pep. And gas milage is poor.

Gas mileage, fix air noise from doors.

Nice Overall Truck
By matt howard

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have had this truck for 6 months and it has been reliable. I love the way it looks inside and out. It is a great truck to have if you want to have fun and go offroad or just drive onroad. It has a comfortable ride and it is very comfortable also. This truck also looks real nice with big tires and a lift kit put on it. I will probably buy another Ford truck when I decide to buy another one. I would recommend this truck to anyone.

I like all the cab space and the arm rest that can fold up to be a seat. The power windows and door locks also save me lots of time.

I suggest better fuel economy, bigger stock tires, and also better brakes.

Couldn't Ask For Anything Else
By Great Truck

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Bought it new. Original brakes lasted 80k and first set of tires lasted 90k. Unbelievable but true. One breakdown in 8 years (ignition interlock). Plan on keeping it for as long as possible.

Great ride and visibility. Just a comfortable truck to drive.

None.