1997 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:
Chris' bad ass truck
By Stopher on 01/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 Lariat 3dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

Bought 2 yrs old w/ 21K miles. Love it but had some problems w/ it that shouldn't have happend w/ low miles. 50K replaced upper/lower ball joints. 52K replaced U-joints. 54K needed 1st tuneup w/ new plugs/wires. 55K replaced calipers, due to seizing up, ruining brakes & rotors (Ford just replaced brakes 15K miles ago & wouldn't cover). I currently have 59K on it. I baby it & don't drive much & maintain in accordance w/ owners manual. Fuel mileage sucks. 13 mpg City, 15 trip. When I tow sleds (not often), 9-10 mpg. I have extended 7yr 100K warranty which Ford dealership sold me, but it basically covers nothing! Great ride!

HANDS DOWN BEST TRUCK!
By PAUL LOTTON on 01/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I HAVE TO SAY THAT AFTER HAVING THREE DODGES AND ONE CHEVEY, THIS TRUCK IS THE BEST VEHICLE I HAVE EVER OWNED! I HAVE A 97 F-150 THAT HAS OVER 185,000 MILES AND I MUST SAY THAT MAINTANACE IS ALMOST NON-EXISTANT. I HAVE ONLY KEPT THE OIL CHANGES UP AND I HAVE GIVEN IT YEARLY TUNE-UPS AND THATS IT. THIS TRUCK IS ALL ORIGINAL RIGHT DOWN TO THE FUEL PUMP! MY ONLY COMPAINT IS THAT THE 4.6 LITER V-8 IS A BIT OF A GAS HOG.

F150 Reg Flareside 2wd 4.2(v6)
By Paparoach on 01/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

Excellent vehicle! Will be buying a new Ford Truck when this one is 10 years old.

F150 XL 6 cylinder (4.2 L) Auto Trans.
By Steve 1 on 01/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 XL 3dr Extended Cab SB

Overall the vehicle has been pretty reliable. Although the brakes (disc front/drum back)seem to need replacement more frequently than most, transmission torque converter went out at 65000 miles, this model has sealed front end ball joints and had to be replaced also at about 65000 miles, gas mileage has been about 12 city/ 19 highway. Truck is well maintained with no heavy towing or abuse and regular maintenance. Good low end torque for 6 cyl.

F-150 4.2L a big disappointment
By GBG on 12/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

Purchased 1997 F-150 4.2 V-6 new and had very poor mileage. 20% less than sticker statement. Currently get @12 MPG. Dealer replaced; mirror switch @ 2,000 miles,transmission w/in 20,000 miles,turn signal switch @40,000, seat belt mechanism 45,000 miles, water pump and leaky seals on timeing chain cover at 60,000 miles, Factory radio failed completely @ 75,000 miles. Drivers side door has metal fatigue crack near window as in MOST '97-'01 f- 150 trucks. Would definetly stay away from the 4.2 V-6 drive train in the future. Currently need complete engine replacement at 88,00 miles due to overall engine wear. dealer wants $4,000 to replace.

I got my Ford
By Ben_H on 12/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 Lariat 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

'97 F150 Lariat...what a great truck. I needed to sell my '95 F150 and I knew what I wanted and I found it in this truck. There's no way you would think this truck is 6 years old- it looks good and drives great. My mechanic gave it a clean bill of health when I bought it and it has yet to give me any major problems. Some brake work (replace rear axle seals) and routine maintenance, general TLC, is all I have done for it. Fuel mileage...well, you're driving a truck, not a Honda (a car I could roll over and not even know :-)

f150
By muddywest on 12/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Had problems with transfer case caused by defect. It was finally properly repaired after about 3 tries.

The not so reliable F-150
By rdleisey on 12/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased my F-150 new in 02/97. To date I have spent over $4000.00 in maintenance and repair costs at my local ford dealership. After sinking $2800.00 in the truck over the last 40,000 miles and then having starting problems I was told that the head gasket on the truck was blown and it would need a new engine at a cost of 0ver $3500.00. So, buyers beware, not all ford F-150's are created equal.

I love it.
By MattyMatty on 11/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Great Truck. It has not failed me and runs great every time it is started.

After The Warranty
By pgg on 11/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 XL 3dr Extended Cab SB

My XL started having trouble in 2001 and seems to continue.The heater core blew costing $600.00 to have put in.The Water pump went costing $100.00 plus to fix.My starter went out for another $130.00.The oxygen sensors were bad and had to be replaced.The sliding rear window has leaked in the rain from day one.Silicone seems to help.I have owned Fords all my life.I might change!