Used 1997 Ford F-150 Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Unreliable after year 5
By cougar10

1997 Ford F-150 Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

My family purchased this truck new for my brother. My brother didn't like it so my dad drove it and when I got my license I inherited this pile of junk (it was 10 years old). When i first started driving it it was ok but lately its been making sudden jerks and noises. After i drive it for a little bit the motor keeps on making noise. The temperature gauge has caused it to die. I have to hit the tailgate to open it. My family has only had Chevys before this and we are all going back to Chevys. Built Ford Tough is a big understatement. I can't wait to get something nicer.

Favorite Features

Well the only thing is the interior holds up decently over many years.

Suggested Improvements

Well the newer ones look ok but make sure they are reliable for many years because many people like to keep their vehicles for long amounts of time.

4.2 engine a bust
By Disappointed

1997 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab LB

I purchased this vehicle not even a yr ago, had been driving Fords for over 20 yrs with my job. But will never again purchase a Ford product until they make a engine that is reliable again. What a disappointment. Ford, you can do better or else stand by your product. 4.2 liter engine a bust.

Suggested Improvements

Engine

Never Again. Ever.
By RandallFord

1997 Ford F-150 Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab LB

I purchased this new off the lot. I was so proud to be a Ford man like my daddy before me. This truck is such poor quality that you might think it was just a lemon. Sadly, it is all just phenomenally substandard engineering. In the first few years, things seemed good. But at 50k miles the engine began to go south. By 75000 miles, it began drinking my coolant. The dealership could identify no problems. At 102,000 miles the engine blew up. Turns out it honestly was poor design. In a moment of candor, a mechanic said I was lucky I got 100,000 miles. Problems: transmission, breaks, clutch, radiator, electronics, and finally engine.

Favorite Features

The indentations in the bed to create double stacks for hauling. Not practical, but neat. Comfy seats.

Suggested Improvements

Hire new engineers. Take some hints from other makers whose engines last 200k+

I do not trust this vehicle
By ice cream man

1997 Ford F-150 Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

I like the drive but I cannot keep it on the road because I've had numerous problems. I have replaced the engine twice in less than a year and the transmision during this time and now I am experiencing a vacuum leak. I will never invest in anything that has the name Ford on it, even if it is a toy.

Favorite Features

Exterior look

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, problematic transmission & engine

Slightly modded, but was fine before.
By Al Hoyt

1997 Ford F-150 Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

I own a 97 Ford F-150 XL Step-Side, 4.2L V6. Of course the V6 is lighter and quicker then the 4.6L I run all over 4.6's Tranny went out before I bought the truck, which suprised me, usually Ford trannys, especaily manuals are indestructible. Nothing at all has gone wrong with it other than that. I have 115,000 miles on it now. I installed a belltech 6" drop for better handling. Very tight turning radius. Very lightweight. And I get better mileage than my dad's 4.6L. Very well built truck. Fun to drive, starts effortlessly every morning. I never worry about anything.

Favorite Features

Very tight turning radius. Awesome body lines, and design. Fun to drive. I can pull 20 mpg if not bucking heavy wind. Very easy to work on.

Suggested Improvements

Heavier duty tranny.