Used 1997 Ford F-150 XLT Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

F150 Can't go wrong!
By Michigan trucker

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased my F150 with just under 100,000 miles on it it now has 126,000. No problems to report. This truck is the nicest one i have owned. I always buy used and have been wrong in my choice a couple of times. This purchase was not one of them. The style and motor/transmission combo is great. the interior is well designed with room to spare. Seating is big like you would expect in a truck but it is also comfortable. The rear bench is has good leg room but really its not where any adult wants to sit for a long trip but it is prefect for the kids or the dog. I would highly suggest a F150 with this motor its is excellent. No rust after all these years!

Motor Transmission combo it unbeatable Interior Space it's a huge cab,

So far-so good-
By cj

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

After reviewing this site for several vehicles I was looking at; I'm happy to say that I decided on the F-150. Granted I have only had this beautiful black truck for twenty-four hours! It has high mileage,154,000, but runs and handles real strong. My roommate has a Chevy Quad cab 4wd long bed which I enjoyed driving except it was hard to park and turn corners, but the truck was fun to drive. This truck gives me equal pleasure, with the added bonus of turning corners easily and ease of parking. The ride is smooth, and everything is working at this point. There is a worn ball joint that will need to be replaced soon. Will post again as my time grows with this truck.

The ride, visibility, and comfort. Front end is solid and smooth, engine is a 302, and runs real strong. The overall looks are nice.

Fuel mileage, and wish they would have made it 4 door instead of just a 3 for the extended cab, oh well.

Best truck I ever had
By Steve

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I had to replace my exhaust manifold as soon as I bought it. It was the poor quality factory bolts. I put in 2 starters, the 1st replacement starter was bad. I get oil on the spark plug nearest the passenger side firewall. That causes my idiot light to come on and stay on. Having said all of that it is still the best truck in every way I have ever owned.

Everything

make the spark plug issue a recall or just fix at the dealer free and the same with the manifold.

Original Owner, Great Value Truck
By Bad da Bingg

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I bought the 4.6 L V8 4x4 XLT when our kids were just small enough to fit easily in the extended cab. Now that they're grown and gone, the truck keeps on doing truck duty. Those are boat hauling, camping, motorcycle transport and skiing. This truck has needed brakes and shocks but nothing else beyond routine maintenance. I look at newer trucks and laugh at the pricing and fuel efficiency, my truck still compares nicely.

The truck was ahead of it's time in design and features but 4 wheel disc are not included.

Better brakes came in 1998-99?

Love my F-150
By bassmax

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Bought my truck with 8,000 since it was in a trade in on a new one at the end of 97. I have 135,000 on it and the only problem was a leak in the rear window which I fixed with silicon. Front end parts sqweek when turning and other than normal wear and tear, that is it. Always change oil at 3-4,000 and filters. My biggest con is not having disc brakes in the rear (which they did in 98). I would buy another Ford pick up. I like Toyota Tundra's but for the extra money, I am not sure it is worth the difference. After 43 years of driving, this is my first Ford. They did good for me.

Comfort, still tight, reliability.

Speakers, low end power/torque