1997 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:
F150 Can't go wrong!
By Michigan trucker on 12/03/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased my F150 with just under 100,000 miles on it it now has 126,000. No problems to report. This truck is the nicest one i have owned. I always buy used and have been wrong in my choice a couple of times. This purchase was not one of them. The style and motor/transmission combo is great. the interior is well designed with room to spare. Seating is big like you would expect in a truck but it is also comfortable. The rear bench is has good leg room but really its not where any adult wants to sit for a long trip but it is prefect for the kids or the dog. I would highly suggest a F150 with this motor its is excellent. No rust after all these years!

So far-so good-
By cj on 05/24/10 17:22 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

After reviewing this site for several vehicles I was looking at; I'm happy to say that I decided on the F-150. Granted I have only had this beautiful black truck for twenty-four hours! It has high mileage,154,000, but runs and handles real strong. My roommate has a Chevy Quad cab 4wd long bed which I enjoyed driving except it was hard to park and turn corners, but the truck was fun to drive. This truck gives me equal pleasure, with the added bonus of turning corners easily and ease of parking. The ride is smooth, and everything is working at this point. There is a worn ball joint that will need to be replaced soon. Will post again as my time grows with this truck.

Best truck I ever had
By Steve on 03/09/10 19:40 PM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I had to replace my exhaust manifold as soon as I bought it. It was the poor quality factory bolts. I put in 2 starters, the 1st replacement starter was bad. I get oil on the spark plug nearest the passenger side firewall. That causes my idiot light to come on and stay on. Having said all of that it is still the best truck in every way I have ever owned.

Original Owner, Great Value Truck
By Bad da Bingg on 02/12/09 18:56 PM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I bought the 4.6 L V8 4x4 XLT when our kids were just small enough to fit easily in the extended cab. Now that they're grown and gone, the truck keeps on doing truck duty. Those are boat hauling, camping, motorcycle transport and skiing. This truck has needed brakes and shocks but nothing else beyond routine maintenance. I look at newer trucks and laugh at the pricing and fuel efficiency, my truck still compares nicely.

Love my F-150
By bassmax on 06/04/08 06:17 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Bought my truck with 8,000 since it was in a trade in on a new one at the end of 97. I have 135,000 on it and the only problem was a leak in the rear window which I fixed with silicon. Front end parts sqweek when turning and other than normal wear and tear, that is it. Always change oil at 3-4,000 and filters. My biggest con is not having disc brakes in the rear (which they did in 98). I would buy another Ford pick up. I like Toyota Tundra's but for the extra money, I am not sure it is worth the difference. After 43 years of driving, this is my first Ford. They did good for me.

Old Blue
By Indy2007 on 08/20/07 15:02 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

My father purchased this truck off a used car lot. It was a one owner and the owner was a old man who wanted a new vehicle. He bought the truck with a little under 1000,000 miles on it. He had to put a new exhaust on it as well as fix a cracked injector and normal wear and tear parts. This was a family truck with a 5.4 triton motor that worked great for pulling our 26 foot camper(6000 pounds roughly). Due to his job he had to buy a 4x4 and gave his son(me) the truck. I drive it to and from college(about 2hrs). and it is wonderful. I have gotten up to 18 mpg(driving senible) but if you drive it hard it can go under 14 mpgs. It's has 150,000 miles and still looks and runs as good as a new one.

Best Vehicle I've Owned
By jrg on 05/15/07 12:38 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

My ten year old F-150 extended, short bed has paid for itself time and again. It has 133,000 miles, and have only had to replace tires and brake pads. The greatest expense was wire damage thanks to a local rodent. Ford wires must taste good. I get a constant 19 miles per gallon with the 4.6 V-8.

Best truck I ever owned
By Jerrys Truck on 11/29/06 10:25 AM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I now have 275,000 miles on my 97 F150. The only thing I have had to do to it is new front brake pads, new fan belt, 1 new battery, change plugs and plug wires twice, 3 sets of tires, 1 set of shocks, 1 coil pack, and kept the oil changed. Everything else is original. If this truck was to quit on me today I would buy another one. I park it on a concrete driveway every day and there is not one drop of fluid where it sits. I love driving a truck that is paid for and I can depend on!

Good American Product
By hydropump on 10/06/06 19:00 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Good experience, drives easily. Minor problems recently with "fault light" erratic turn on/off. No material structural problems. Normal tire wear. No alignment problems. This is my most recent Ford and much better service than 1988 and 1978 similar versions.

Good Truck
By TN on 02/25/06 20:09 PM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this new in 1997 and put on 151,000 miles on it in 9 years. It is well built and reliable. The only unscheduled repair was when the transmission broke at 98,000 miles. It was rebuilt for $2,000. Otherwise, absolutely no problems. Now at 151,000 miles it needs some repair but it shouldn't be too bad considering the low repair history so far. I'd say investing $2,000 now would buy me another 3 years of trouble free driving. Don't be afraid to grab one of these used if it has a clean bill of health. It will last you a long time.