1997 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:
4.2L Engine
By Scot on 04/26/05 09:30 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XL 3dr Extended Cab SB

I really like the truck, overall design outside, and interior room. I have had the truck since it was new, mine was equipped with the 4.2L engine. At 88,000 miles the transmission went, at 89,200 the engine went. I was very much disappointed with that. I had the transmission rebuilt and purchased a new engine from Ford, I think it runs better now than when I first purchased it (WAY MORE POWER)! I would buy the truck again but would stick with at V-8 engine. If you're buying used be careful about the early 4.2L; my understanding is it had a lot of problems, the newer ones are supposed to have all the problems fixed.

1997 F150 4.2L Ext. Cab
By Cranky on 05/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XL 3dr Extended Cab SB

Lots of interior room, good instrument layout and enjoyable to drive. Mech. probs. incl. torque converter failed at 60k ($1200), head gasket leak at 93k ($2000) fast brake wear (changed to ceramic pads ($75 pair) reduced freq.of pad replacement), ball joints replaced ($400 cost), gas city ~11 mpg, highway ~16 mpg, oxygen sensor failure at 65K ($40). I have mixed feelings about the vehicle overall but still like the comfort of driving it. New body design on the 2004 is too boxy looking so I probably would not buy a newer model F150 anyway. Too bad, I liked the styling of the previous models.

F150 XL 6 cylinder (4.2 L) Auto Trans.
By Steve 1 on 01/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 XL 3dr Extended Cab SB

Overall the vehicle has been pretty reliable. Although the brakes (disc front/drum back)seem to need replacement more frequently than most, transmission torque converter went out at 65000 miles, this model has sealed front end ball joints and had to be replaced also at about 65000 miles, gas mileage has been about 12 city/ 19 highway. Truck is well maintained with no heavy towing or abuse and regular maintenance. Good low end torque for 6 cyl.

After The Warranty
By pgg on 11/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 XL 3dr Extended Cab SB

My XL started having trouble in 2001 and seems to continue.The heater core blew costing $600.00 to have put in.The Water pump went costing $100.00 plus to fix.My starter went out for another $130.00.The oxygen sensors were bad and had to be replaced.The sliding rear window has leaked in the rain from day one.Silicone seems to help.I have owned Fords all my life.I might change!

great truck
By gary mullen on 06/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XL 3dr Extended Cab SB

This has been a great truck over the last 5 years. The only thing I have had trouble with has been the brakes.