1997 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:
Miss Mexico
By missmexico on 05/26/13 09:54 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 Lariat 3dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

(xlt 2wd flare side 4.6 v8 4sp automatic ) Bought new in 97; love her. Did have problem with a blockage in oil pan that caused the engine to lock up around 90k mi. (factory fluke) Ford was a dick about it, but has still been good truck. She has had her share of small problem from parts breaking from old age. The transmission sucks and has now power in 2nd and I wish I could change that, but still going with around 200000 miles on her. Truck gets around 14.5 in city and 17.5 on highway. She got rear ended on may 8th, totaled, or I would driver her into the ground. Not a fan of the gas mileage, but would take her over another truck.

a truck that ca ntake a beating but keep on ticking
By jbscrappy on 12/07/12 06:44 AM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

i got the 1997 ford f-150 with the 5.4 V-8 with a milage meter on in it that has rolled over twice and now sitting at over 290 thousand been threw hell an back but still keeps on goin with only a new belts a battery alternator regular oil changes an trans fluid this truck is one of the best trucks on the road to date even with it's flaws due to being old and high milage

300, 000 miles little work
By arobe on 08/05/12 14:00 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I bought my truck in 2000 w/ 54,000 miles on it. I just broke 300,000 miles with maintenance consisting of oil changes, brakes, heater core, basically a new front end, starter, and alternator. I had an 86 f150 prior, thought it was the best truck ever. i was wrong this one was. the sad part of the story is the motor just locked up on me. However, i will either put in a new one or buy another 1997 with 100 or so thousand miles. can't say enough good things about this truck! it may be 15 years old, but if u can get ur hands on one for a decent price, run with it. Born and raised a ford man

F150 Can't go wrong!
By Michigan trucker on 12/03/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased my F150 with just under 100,000 miles on it it now has 126,000. No problems to report. This truck is the nicest one i have owned. I always buy used and have been wrong in my choice a couple of times. This purchase was not one of them. The style and motor/transmission combo is great. the interior is well designed with room to spare. Seating is big like you would expect in a truck but it is also comfortable. The rear bench is has good leg room but really its not where any adult wants to sit for a long trip but it is prefect for the kids or the dog. I would highly suggest a F150 with this motor its is excellent. No rust after all these years!

Junk!
By jeff on 11/15/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 Lariat 3dr Extended Cab LB

Motor had radiator fluid in the vents, Walker Ford completely finished off the motor trying to fix it! I drove it in and had to tow the truck out!

Made to last
By zee on 07/31/10 16:45 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab LB

It's been a great truck, turned 218,000 miles, just regular maintenance. Well it finally left me on the road. Not trucks fault, differential ran dry. I been taking it to NTB for regular changes and they never checked it. Shame on them. I am having it fixed. 4.6 L engine keep on purring !

So far-so good-
By cj on 05/24/10 17:22 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

After reviewing this site for several vehicles I was looking at; I'm happy to say that I decided on the F-150. Granted I have only had this beautiful black truck for twenty-four hours! It has high mileage,154,000, but runs and handles real strong. My roommate has a Chevy Quad cab 4wd long bed which I enjoyed driving except it was hard to park and turn corners, but the truck was fun to drive. This truck gives me equal pleasure, with the added bonus of turning corners easily and ease of parking. The ride is smooth, and everything is working at this point. There is a worn ball joint that will need to be replaced soon. Will post again as my time grows with this truck.

4.2 engine a bust
By Disappointed on 04/13/10 16:18 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab LB

I purchased this vehicle not even a yr ago, had been driving Fords for over 20 yrs with my job. But will never again purchase a Ford product until they make a engine that is reliable again. What a disappointment. Ford, you can do better or else stand by your product. 4.2 liter engine a bust.

Best truck I ever had
By Steve on 03/09/10 19:40 PM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I had to replace my exhaust manifold as soon as I bought it. It was the poor quality factory bolts. I put in 2 starters, the 1st replacement starter was bad. I get oil on the spark plug nearest the passenger side firewall. That causes my idiot light to come on and stay on. Having said all of that it is still the best truck in every way I have ever owned.

LOVE MY TRUCK
By josh on 02/27/10 18:39 PM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have owned a 2000 Silverado before my ford . The only thing i miss is the Eton Locker in the rear and the AUTO 4WD. This truck gets GREAT MPG i hand calculated it at 22 mpg! that was at 65 mph and 295/85R16 BFGoodrich all terrians and the A/C on!!. my favorite part is the sound it has a mean growl in the exhaust that makes all other trucks wet there oil pans!!!. Also the engine in it is a 4.6 TRITON. I LOVE IT!!! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Pull's like a dream i regularly pull 4 Big polaris quads on a 15 foot trailer.