Used 1996 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Is it time to trade in?
By Annabella Rosellini

1996 Ford F-150 Eddie Bauer 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

Bought new in 1996, w/ 5.8L V8. Now has 190,000 miles. Ran relatively well. Replaced rear differential due to gear oil leak. Replaced also: AC compressor (imploded, costing $1400),radiator (leaked), water pump, alternator, cruise control pressure switch, all hoses and belt, master cylinder and brake booster, battery (twice),CD/radio (twice). Truck had a bad oil leak since 60,000 miles. ABS warning light last year resulted in inability to shift from Park to Drive; and now has the same trouble and I can't drive it -- probably needs to replace the ABS module(cost over $1000 the 1st time). Got stuck one winter in Donner Pass due to a broken special lug nut key -- Tow man raped my wallet.

Favorite Features

Climate controls were easy to use, esp. with heavy gloves. Dual tanks were nice, until the front tank started shunting gas off to the rear tank, causing perilous hyperinflation pressures to the rear tank. The repairman at the dealership said my truck was probably "built on a Friday."

Suggested Improvements

Take off the special lug nut key and use a regular lug nut. Hopefully I'll repair the truck's ABS problem soon. I'll probably keep the truck until it dies from a catastrophic collision.

Ol' Grey
By Little John

1996 Ford F-150 XL 2dr Regular Cab LB

Best truck I have ever owned! Ol' Grey has 250,876 on the OD now and I expect another 200,000 easy. The only thing I have replaced is a radiator, shocks and tires several times and tune ups. He has a Straight 6, 4.9 L and man. tranny. If you have a chance to pick one of these up get it, that 6 will out preform a v-8 any day of the week and still deliver 15mpg city and 18 mpg hwy every time!

Favorite Features

That great old straight 6!

Suggested Improvements

The standard review mirrors stink and the bench seat could slide back about 6 more inches.

Beast
By MegaWolf2010

1996 Ford F-150 XL 2dr Regular Cab LB

I bought this truck as my first truck in 2009. Has a straight V6 in it with a 4.5 L engine. bought it with 150,000 miles on it. I added two 10" speakers behind the single cap bench seat and still had enough room. Was really surprised because i am a Big Guy. I also added a 2 in lift to the back of the truck. Doing this added 2 extra MPG. ( with tailgate up ) GREAT truck. Perfect Turn radius with 1:1 turn ratio. Once you drive this truck you will wonder why they made new ones.

Favorite Features

Chrome bummers (people don't tailgate you because it flashes back into their eyes), Great pulling power (hooked my dads truck to mine and pulled him out while he was stuck in mud trying to pull out my uncles truck) *Pulled both of em out with my truck at one time*, Dual Gas Tanks !!!!

Suggested Improvements

Lift back end for extra 2 MPG, either two 10" or one 12" speaker behind seat, New Radio System, New Gages, Polish Chrome when it starts to dull.

Ford Tough
By Darrell

1996 Ford F-150 XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought this truck with 100,011 miles on it. It now has 254,433 miles on it and all i have had to do is replace the battery, torque converter, alternator, shifter inner guts and thats it. Still runs like new, uses no oil, leaks nothing. Not so fond of fuel mileage but hey its a 96 model. Looks like new when cleaned up. Drives better than my son's 05 Dodge ram. I will drive it until the wheels fall off, and even then may put them back on and keep driving it.

Favorite Features

Plenty of room for me, i am 6'8" tall. Dual tanks, sporty body style.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel mileage, 60/40 seat instead of bench.

Best Truck Ever Owned
By SemperFi_10

1996 Ford F-150 XL 2dr Regular Cab LB

I bought this truck back in May. It had 162,000 miles on it. I have drove this truck all over the place, and occasionally take it mudding with friends, even though I don't have 4WD. It is the most reliable vehicle I have owned yet and it rides and performs in all aspects just like it came off the line that day. Hands down, I couldn't have asked for a better truck for $750!

Favorite Features

Manual transmission, comfortable leather seats.

Suggested Improvements

RPM gauge, cruise control.