1996 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:
been a good truck
By like my ford on 04/21/09 08:57 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford F-150 XL 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

This has been a good, strong, reliable truck. Wish i could have found an extended cab for the same price but i am satisfied with the reg. cab. I have warn lockers and prefer them to auto locks. Body style is one of the best Ford has had. 5.8l is strong but only get about 13mpg, and the valves rattle if i don't burn Premium. Two mechanics have been through it and say theres nothing wrong with it. 161,000 miles and am not afraid to go any where in it.

Ford F-150 4.9 Long Bed
By Elidefoe on 01/06/09 22:27 PM (PST)

1996 Ford F-150 XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

Bought this truck with 208000 miles and had just had the clutch replaced. Put a new battery and starter, did a tune up and this truck always starts and never lets me down. With over 222000 miles now no problems and expect this truck to last me 5 more years. Best 1500 dollars I have ever spent on a car.

F-150
By AJ on 11/29/08 21:29 PM (PST)

1996 Ford F-150 XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Truck is solid. I bought this truck as a toy and put long travel with coilovers and have beat the heck out of it. Now it is used to tow my trailer and has never left me stranded. This is the best truck I have ever owned and have no negative comments. The only time this truck has been in the shop is to diagnose the check engine light which ended up being the faulty JET performance chip, do not buy one.

Tough as nails
By Ritz on 07/27/08 12:18 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford F-150 XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I unfortunately just had to trade this in. It was my first ever vehicle and very first truck. Had 230,000 miles but was still kicking strong. Never ever let me down. Every month I came home from college- 5 and 1/2 hour drive no problems. Had the 5.0L V8 and it was a beast. Sounded amazing with dual exhaust. Had four wheel drive which routinely got me through 2 feet of snow in a northern WI winter. routine repairs for a vehicle with so many miles, but never anything serious. I cried the day I let mine go, but with gas at 4 bucks a gallon and being a college student, I couldn't hold on it to anymore.

Great Pick-up
By Matty on 05/18/08 08:43 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford F-150 Eddie Bauer 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Just recently purchased this vehicle. Quite simply, the 302 with 3.55's and 32 inch tires is gutless. Don't expect to tow much. That being said, I have nearly 200,000 miles on this truck and she runs perfect. She's even been in a wreck and still is rock solid. All mechanical aspects perform flawlessly (altho I'm a Chevrolet guy, so the Mazda manual transmission is a bit tricky for what I'm used to). Beautiful, high-quality vehicle. Besides for the lack of power, the only other problem is if you're anything less than 6 feet tall (I'm barely 6 foot) you'll have a heck of a time reaching the pedals yet still being comfortable (my Girlfriend can't drive her). Overall, for me, a 9+ rating!

Built to last
By Snookfever on 03/31/08 07:05 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford F-150 XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

5.0L V-8 (302 ci) Great truck! bought it with 40K miles in 1998, currently has 143K miles 2008. Paint still looks great. No major drive train problems ever. Poor gas mileage 13/17, but it has never left me on the side of the road. Love the dual gas tanks, you will need them for long trips. Horsepower is a little low compared to newer V-8 trucks 195 vs 300.

Dodge man gone Ford
By patrick on 03/01/08 06:38 AM (PST)

1996 Ford F-150 Eddie Bauer 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

I got my truck for $2000 two years ago. Tows my 32ft travel trailer like a dream. Rides nice. Strong, fast & comfy. Couldn't be happier

This truck paid for itself
By DB on 12/09/07 07:35 AM (PST)

1996 Ford F-150 XLT 2dr Extended Cab LB

I purchased this truck new in Nov 1995. In 12 years, the only unscheduled maintenance I've had to do was a radius arm bushing in 2002 and a starter which gave out in 2006. I've moved myself cross country (saved thousands of dollars), been off-road on a regular basis in the mountains of Colorado and pretty much beat the truck to death (after all, it is a truck) and still it delivers. Through three wrecks, I've not had to make any repairs. The things I hit weren't so fortunate. After 220,000 miles, it's pretty much at the end of the line. The engine still purrs, but other things are starting to wear out (suspension bushings, interior trim, dashboard lights, A/C hoses, etc). Thanks, Ford

Why not - its a Ford pickup
By CDK on 11/30/07 05:09 AM (PST)

1996 Ford F-150 XLT 2dr Extended Cab LB

Excellent experience. In 108,000 miles, I've replaced the starter solenoid, cracked windshield and the torque converter seal. Of course I've gone through a couple of batteries and one thermostat. The design of the cooling system was well engineered. There is a bypass channel around the thermostat. When the thermostat failed closed last summer the engine indicated temperature never reached the redline. The original tires were terrible, had 2 of them come apart prior to the recall. The truck still has the original exhaust system and has never failed the TX annual state inspection. Overall, except for gas mileage, super pickup. In 1996 gas mileage was not that important.

1996 Eddie f-150
By 96 eddie bauer on 11/29/07 11:30 AM (PST)

1996 Ford F-150 Eddie Bauer 2dr Regular Cab LB

Great truck! 5.8 gets 16 mpg city & 20 hwy. 135,000 miles in michigan & no rust. The blue w/gold eddie bauer looks and rides like new still. I can't say anything bad about this truck