1996 Ford F-150 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:
Ford F-150 XLT- 5.8L 351W
By jayjc08 on 11/04/12 10:12 AM (PST)

1996 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

The F-150 is a tough vehicle with so much cost cutting that it is difficult to see to those roots. The 5.8L is excellent- smooth, quiet, powerful. The 4 speed auto needs an extra gear desperately but aside from a rough 1-2 shift is smooth and reliable. Brakes are shameful- no feel, squishy and hardly effective. Ergonomics are terrible- unless you are 7 feet tall you will need a broom handle to operate radio and HVAC controls. Good sound system. Quality is poor- panels do not line up, screws often fall out, fit and finish is poor. Drives on the road like an overweight tank should- tries to plow the pavement into submission, resulting in a harsh ride. Fuel economy is around 12 miles per gallon

Truck is good value
By fordtruckman45 on 09/12/12 15:13 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought the truck over a year ago with 80,000 miles. Now got 96,000 miles did some work/maintenance on it. Rust is decent but its old. Told to get a manual cause "thats the only good setup with the 4.9," but i hate shifting that thing. Its slow as hell, and the mpg is about 15 no matter what. The engine is awesome but the M5OD stinks IMO cause it won't last long. Gotta replace all the hydraulic lines, master cylinder, and slave cylinder cause theyre too old and its leaking. Thats about all i gotta do but i can't wait to get a car thats better on gas and aint a pain to shift. Its not really that bad of a truck but I like to vent out about it. ha!

96 F-150 XL 4x4
By rainbowracer93 on 12/11/11 19:50 PM (PST)

1996 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XL 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

Was my first vehicle, passed down from my dad. Had the bullet-proof 300 inline 6, which made very little power, but never left me stranded. Only maintenance I ever had to do was tires, brakes, an oil, the thing was built like a tank. MPG's in the low teens, which is bad considering its lack of power and a V8. 4x4 worked well, although it became a chore to get into low range. Overall a good ole' boy solid truck, would buy one again if ever ever in the market for a pickup.

Is it time to trade in?
By Annabella Rosellini on 03/11/10 06:07 AM (PST)

1996 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Eddie Bauer 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

Bought new in 1996, w/ 5.8L V8. Now has 190,000 miles. Ran relatively well. Replaced rear differential due to gear oil leak. Replaced also: AC compressor (imploded, costing $1400),radiator (leaked), water pump, alternator, cruise control pressure switch, all hoses and belt, master cylinder and brake booster, battery (twice),CD/radio (twice). Truck had a bad oil leak since 60,000 miles. ABS warning light last year resulted in inability to shift from Park to Drive; and now has the same trouble and I can't drive it -- probably needs to replace the ABS module(cost over $1000 the 1st time). Got stuck one winter in Donner Pass due to a broken special lug nut key -- Tow man raped my wallet.

F-150
By AJ on 11/29/08 21:29 PM (PST)

1996 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Truck is solid. I bought this truck as a toy and put long travel with coilovers and have beat the heck out of it. Now it is used to tow my trailer and has never left me stranded. This is the best truck I have ever owned and have no negative comments. The only time this truck has been in the shop is to diagnose the check engine light which ended up being the faulty JET performance chip, do not buy one.

Tough as nails
By Ritz on 07/27/08 12:18 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I unfortunately just had to trade this in. It was my first ever vehicle and very first truck. Had 230,000 miles but was still kicking strong. Never ever let me down. Every month I came home from college- 5 and 1/2 hour drive no problems. Had the 5.0L V8 and it was a beast. Sounded amazing with dual exhaust. Had four wheel drive which routinely got me through 2 feet of snow in a northern WI winter. routine repairs for a vehicle with so many miles, but never anything serious. I cried the day I let mine go, but with gas at 4 bucks a gallon and being a college student, I couldn't hold on it to anymore.

Great Pick-up
By Matty on 05/18/08 08:43 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Eddie Bauer 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Just recently purchased this vehicle. Quite simply, the 302 with 3.55's and 32 inch tires is gutless. Don't expect to tow much. That being said, I have nearly 200,000 miles on this truck and she runs perfect. She's even been in a wreck and still is rock solid. All mechanical aspects perform flawlessly (altho I'm a Chevrolet guy, so the Mazda manual transmission is a bit tricky for what I'm used to). Beautiful, high-quality vehicle. Besides for the lack of power, the only other problem is if you're anything less than 6 feet tall (I'm barely 6 foot) you'll have a heck of a time reaching the pedals yet still being comfortable (my Girlfriend can't drive her). Overall, for me, a 9+ rating!

Built to last
By Snookfever on 03/31/08 07:05 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

5.0L V-8 (302 ci) Great truck! bought it with 40K miles in 1998, currently has 143K miles 2008. Paint still looks great. No major drive train problems ever. Poor gas mileage 13/17, but it has never left me on the side of the road. Love the dual gas tanks, you will need them for long trips. Horsepower is a little low compared to newer V-8 trucks 195 vs 300.

This truck paid for itself
By DB on 12/09/07 07:35 AM (PST)

1996 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab LB

I purchased this truck new in Nov 1995. In 12 years, the only unscheduled maintenance I've had to do was a radius arm bushing in 2002 and a starter which gave out in 2006. I've moved myself cross country (saved thousands of dollars), been off-road on a regular basis in the mountains of Colorado and pretty much beat the truck to death (after all, it is a truck) and still it delivers. Through three wrecks, I've not had to make any repairs. The things I hit weren't so fortunate. After 220,000 miles, it's pretty much at the end of the line. The engine still purrs, but other things are starting to wear out (suspension bushings, interior trim, dashboard lights, A/C hoses, etc). Thanks, Ford

Why not - its a Ford pickup
By CDK on 11/30/07 05:09 AM (PST)

1996 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab LB

Excellent experience. In 108,000 miles, I've replaced the starter solenoid, cracked windshield and the torque converter seal. Of course I've gone through a couple of batteries and one thermostat. The design of the cooling system was well engineered. There is a bypass channel around the thermostat. When the thermostat failed closed last summer the engine indicated temperature never reached the redline. The original tires were terrible, had 2 of them come apart prior to the recall. The truck still has the original exhaust system and has never failed the TX annual state inspection. Overall, except for gas mileage, super pickup. In 1996 gas mileage was not that important.