1996 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:
Ford F-150 XLT- 5.8L 351W
By jayjc08 on 11/04/12 10:12 AM (PST)

1996 Ford F-150 XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

The F-150 is a tough vehicle with so much cost cutting that it is difficult to see to those roots. The 5.8L is excellent- smooth, quiet, powerful. The 4 speed auto needs an extra gear desperately but aside from a rough 1-2 shift is smooth and reliable. Brakes are shameful- no feel, squishy and hardly effective. Ergonomics are terrible- unless you are 7 feet tall you will need a broom handle to operate radio and HVAC controls. Good sound system. Quality is poor- panels do not line up, screws often fall out, fit and finish is poor. Drives on the road like an overweight tank should- tries to plow the pavement into submission, resulting in a harsh ride. Fuel economy is around 12 miles per gallon

Truck is good value
By fordtruckman45 on 09/12/12 15:13 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford F-150 XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought the truck over a year ago with 80,000 miles. Now got 96,000 miles did some work/maintenance on it. Rust is decent but its old. Told to get a manual cause "thats the only good setup with the 4.9," but i hate shifting that thing. Its slow as hell, and the mpg is about 15 no matter what. The engine is awesome but the M5OD stinks IMO cause it won't last long. Gotta replace all the hydraulic lines, master cylinder, and slave cylinder cause theyre too old and its leaking. Thats about all i gotta do but i can't wait to get a car thats better on gas and aint a pain to shift. Its not really that bad of a truck but I like to vent out about it. ha!

96 F-150 XL 4x4
By rainbowracer93 on 12/11/11 19:50 PM (PST)

1996 Ford F-150 XL 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

Was my first vehicle, passed down from my dad. Had the bullet-proof 300 inline 6, which made very little power, but never left me stranded. Only maintenance I ever had to do was tires, brakes, an oil, the thing was built like a tank. MPG's in the low teens, which is bad considering its lack of power and a V8. 4x4 worked well, although it became a chore to get into low range. Overall a good ole' boy solid truck, would buy one again if ever ever in the market for a pickup.

solid and steady
By raindogsteve on 05/05/10 07:30 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford F-150 XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

Got this truck with numerous minor problems but with an excellent engine compartment. Started first time at dealership. Fixed power windows, AC, and gave it a tune up (first one in 14 years!). The 302 V8 is bulletproof and truck sounds like a beast! A great, time tested truck!

Been a great truck so far
By mizzou on 03/22/10 21:01 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford F-150 XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck with 106; 000 miles on it. It has 147,000 now, it's never left me stranded and has always run well. The only parts I replaced was a belt tensioner, radius arm bushings {only one was bad, but replaced both anyway} and ball joints just recently. I love the way it handles looks and drives. The fuel mpg could be better but I figure I make up for that with the reliability of the truck.

Is it time to trade in?
By Annabella Rosellini on 03/11/10 06:07 AM (PST)

1996 Ford F-150 Eddie Bauer 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

Bought new in 1996, w/ 5.8L V8. Now has 190,000 miles. Ran relatively well. Replaced rear differential due to gear oil leak. Replaced also: AC compressor (imploded, costing $1400),radiator (leaked), water pump, alternator, cruise control pressure switch, all hoses and belt, master cylinder and brake booster, battery (twice),CD/radio (twice). Truck had a bad oil leak since 60,000 miles. ABS warning light last year resulted in inability to shift from Park to Drive; and now has the same trouble and I can't drive it -- probably needs to replace the ABS module(cost over $1000 the 1st time). Got stuck one winter in Donner Pass due to a broken special lug nut key -- Tow man raped my wallet.

Ol' Grey
By Little John on 03/07/10 11:14 AM (PST)

1996 Ford F-150 XL 2dr Regular Cab LB

Best truck I have ever owned! Ol' Grey has 250,876 on the OD now and I expect another 200,000 easy. The only thing I have replaced is a radiator, shocks and tires several times and tune ups. He has a Straight 6, 4.9 L and man. tranny. If you have a chance to pick one of these up get it, that 6 will out preform a v-8 any day of the week and still deliver 15mpg city and 18 mpg hwy every time!

Beast
By MegaWolf2010 on 01/13/10 20:44 PM (PST)

1996 Ford F-150 XL 2dr Regular Cab LB

I bought this truck as my first truck in 2009. Has a straight V6 in it with a 4.5 L engine. bought it with 150,000 miles on it. I added two 10" speakers behind the single cap bench seat and still had enough room. Was really surprised because i am a Big Guy. I also added a 2 in lift to the back of the truck. Doing this added 2 extra MPG. ( with tailgate up ) GREAT truck. Perfect Turn radius with 1:1 turn ratio. Once you drive this truck you will wonder why they made new ones.

Ford Tough
By Darrell on 12/10/09 12:31 PM (PST)

1996 Ford F-150 XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought this truck with 100,011 miles on it. It now has 254,433 miles on it and all i have had to do is replace the battery, torque converter, alternator, shifter inner guts and thats it. Still runs like new, uses no oil, leaks nothing. Not so fond of fuel mileage but hey its a 96 model. Looks like new when cleaned up. Drives better than my son's 05 Dodge ram. I will drive it until the wheels fall off, and even then may put them back on and keep driving it.

Best Truck Ever Owned
By SemperFi_10 on 09/03/09 11:13 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford F-150 XL 2dr Regular Cab LB

I bought this truck back in May. It had 162,000 miles on it. I have drove this truck all over the place, and occasionally take it mudding with friends, even though I don't have 4WD. It is the most reliable vehicle I have owned yet and it rides and performs in all aspects just like it came off the line that day. Hands down, I couldn't have asked for a better truck for $750!