2016 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews - 83 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Grannies ride
By Diann Eve

2016 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

If shopping on line verify color and price before going to test drive. Also, availablity.

Love my Explorer
By Joe Pifko

2016 Ford Explorer SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Great SUV! Love the 3rd row seat. Go Galphin

$50k SUV worth $35K
By Chris

2016 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

So the truck is 4 months old with 5700 miles. 2 weeks ago I took it for a long road trip up to Michigan's UP, I was actually pretty happy with the truck's performance and overall comfort of passengers and cargo space. However, there are a few things that are popping up and are annoying me. MPG is low but then again I didn't expect it to be great ( it is a big and heavy vehicle) I average 18MPG in combine driving and 21 on the HWY. Not too bad considering Chicago's traffic and me driving a bit on an aggressive side. Interior driver's side floor sill trim is coming loose at the corner. Leather steering wheel starts to peel at the top which is crazy considering the car is only 4 months old. Looks as others had similar complaints. SYNC crashed 3 times ( other then that it really isn't all that bad as people complained about) Front seats suck.... they are too narrow and with stupid bolster so close it digs into my leg driving me crazy. I'm 5'11 about 190lbs. At the end of the day $50k paid for something that really looks as it belongs on $35k cars. Wanted to go back to FORD but now I'm starting to regret it.

2016 Ford Explorer Sport 401A
By Mo

2016 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased my Ford Explorer Sport in June 2016 because I travel a lot and needed more space and reliability. As of now, almost Sept I've put in over 9,000 miles by myself! So I definitely have some input with long hours spent in the vehicle & I LOVE my Explorer. First I'd like to start with a couple cons that are high on my list. I hate the pedals! The brake is significantly higher than the gas pedal which makes it very uncomfortable when transitioning to the brake, especially when traveling long distances. The pedals are adjustable but they move simultaneously. My suggestion for future models is that each pedal have separate adjustment capabilities for better comfort. While the leather seats are very stylish they aren't the most comfortable. What I do love about the seats is that they offer adjustable lumbar support and after hours spent in the vehicle, the heated seats really comes in handy for any back pain! You're also able to adjust the height of the seats, which I often have fully extended to compensate for the high brake pedal. The GPS often gives last minute signals which has occasionally caused me to miss turns & exits. I've noticed with the 2017 model they have changed they're GPS, offering zoom capabilities which the 2016 does not offer. It would also be great if the vehicle offered different route options such as Google maps, so that you could see the different options on the map prior to choosing. I find myself using both google map from my phone and the vehicle's GPS simultaneously to avoid errors or unnecessary routes. Enough with cons... At the end of the day, I couldn't be happier about my purchase! If I had the option to do it again, even if offered the 2017 model at the same price, I'd choose the 2016 model I have today. Though the SUV appears smaller than some SUVs on the outside, the inside feels very spacious & overall comfortable. When driving, I literally feel like I'm driving a sports car. I handle tight turns and u-turn in this SUV better that I did with my previous sedan car! The ride is very smooth & the blind spot detection is remarkable! Not even after having my Explorer for a full month, I was rear ended... No body damage! The tow package cover took most of the damage and the only thing that needed to be replaced was the lower black portion and exhausted cover due to a few scratches. I'm constantly complimented on this vehicle, it really stands out. In my personal opinion the gas mileage is great & it takes me no more to fill the tank than it did my previous car, about $40 total give or take. I almost forgot to mention, the clarity of the front & rear cameras are amazing, better even than some more expensive vehicles I've been in. I hoped this review helps. I tried to touch on some of the things that I haven't seen mentioned quite as much.

Second Explorer-same problem
By K Beaver

2016 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is our second Explorer. Bought the first one in July of 2014. Anytime you accelerated to pass a car or just sped up, there was a smell of exhaust fumes in the cabin. After many trips to the dealer and finally filing a complaint with Ford, they reacquired the vehicle in October of 2015 and we purchased a 2016 model. We were told that problem had been repaired on the 2016 model. That was not the truth. We are now going through the same process with a complaint. Not sure how this will turn out but will not have another Explorer. And that is really sad because we love everything about it with the exception of not being able to breathe when the cabin fills with exhaust fumes.