2016 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 43 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2016 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Don't Explore this Explorer! Throttle Body Fail!
By K&M

2016 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My wife, 6 year old daughter, and dog almost stranded because of throttle body failure at just over 8,000 miles with no warning. This thing is not safe nor reliable and will most certainly cause death or injury, and Ford already knows it's an issue but will not inform or warn you ahead of time. My wife was driving when the vehicle just shut down to an idle on the highway. Luckily it was early and traffic was minimal. The part is on backorder with no estimated time limit for repair. If you plan on traveling or exploring the great outdoors away from home, think again before purchasing the Ford Explorer. It is totally unacceptable for a brand new vehicle to be this unreliable and unpredictable to just shut down anywhere at any time without any warning. Very disappointed in choosing this vehicle I thought would be safe and reliable for my family. Now, even after it gets repaired, I cannot trust or take another chance with it and will be trading it in as soon as I can, even if it means going upside down.

LOVING the Explorer Sport
By Ryan

2016 Ford Explorer Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

We had a 2011 Explorer, and I'm very pleased to say that every little thing that annoyed me in the 2011 model has been totally addressed in the 2016. Real buttons for climate controls, remote start works from more than 10 feet away, and automatic climate control works much better, for example.

I'm a "driver" and I enjoy a vehicle that can handle itself properly and isn't "lazy". The Sport checks all the boxes. I'm very pleased with the throttle response, which is typically terrible in an automatic transmission vehicle, but it is very good in the Sport, making the explorer feel very eager. The ecoboost engine really pulls nicely, especially from 40-80+ mph. Steering response is great, and the explorer stays nice and flat in the turns. Good solid road manners over uneven surfaces.

The interior is very comfortable. I love the red stitching on the black leather, looks very sporty. Fit and finish is very good.

I purposely bought our Explorer without the adaptive cruise control and collision warning system, because I hated those with a passion in the 2011 we owned. Literally HATED them.

Ford has nailed it with the 2016 Explorer Sport. I only have one complaint. The driver's footrest is a little cramped. That's it. That is the ONLY thing I can think of to complain about. Its a really great vehicle.

THROTTLE BODY FAILED!
By Stranded

2016 Ford Explorer 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Little over 8,000 miles the throttle body died on a busy roadway. Ford Roadside assistance is a joke! Wrecker was dispatched and a 1 hour forty five minute wait time was estimated. Guess what? That time was extended to another two hours! Called my own personal wrecker service and they were there in 20 minutes. After a three hour wait, I got to the dealership after closing and was unable to secure a rental or loaner car. Another hour or so wait until I could get a family member to pick me up. Listening to the throttle body problems, guess I am not the only one! With the cost of this vehicle, makes one wonder if they could have went to GM and got more bang for the buck!

Throttle body died, keep away from this car
By JY

2016 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My 2016 explorer throttle body just died today on a busy highway. Car speed dropped suddenly from 60 to 20 mph. It was so dangerous. The car has only been driven for about 7,700 miles. Tolled to a dealer and was told there are almost three weeks of backorder for the part. I guess there are a lot of cars that have the same problem. No loaner car was given and I had to pay for my rental car.

super
By Al Gordon

2016 Ford Explorer 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)