2015 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews - 20 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Great car
By Jose Salcido

2015 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Test Drove Today
By Bobbie

2015 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I'm looking for a newer car. I have a 2007 Buick Rendezvous and looking to upgrade. I originally did not come to the dealership to test this particular car, it caught my eye and my husband and I decided to go for it. I had pros and cons for our family.

Pros: This baby defiantly had power. I barely pulled out of the lotand it was doing 60mph. The ride was very smooth and quiet, like my Buick in its earlier days. The front had lots of leg room. I'm 5ft 10in and my husband is 6ft abd both us were very comfortable. I didn't even have my seat all the way back abd still had plenty of leg abd head room.

Cons: The car is not very good on turns. It does not turn smoothly. I also found the cargo space lacking. I work in direct sales and haul a lot of stuff to customers, anddo a lot of vendor shows as well as drive my kids around. Cargo space is a must have for my family. I don't think there is much leg room for my kids as they get older. The car sits a lot lower than I'm used to.

Overall it's a pretty good SUV, but if you need a family car or cargo space you might want to check other options.

Awesome concept but I must have gotten a lemon
By Eddie

2015 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I test drove a bunch of SUVs in this class during my search and I must say the overall design and appeal of Explorer captured my attention and made it stand out. I test drove a fully equipped sport edition first and while I absolutely loved the performance of EcoBoost, it lacked some safety features such as lane assist or blind spot monitoring and only came in AWD, which here in Phoenix area isn't needed much. So I opted for Limited Edition for its safety/equipment/price and settled for the somewhat mediocre performance of the regular 3.5L V6. Purchase process was smooth and I drove off the lot at Bell Ford in Phoenix same day. First few days were fine and I bragged to everyone I know how much I love the vehicle. Engine performance was nothing to write home about, but brakes were great, instrumentation and sound system were great, the vehicle was very roomy even with 7 in the car. 3rd row is one of the most spacious in the class for sure. Overall ride quality is very nice. Ride softness could be improved as during otherwise very quiet operation one could feel every crack in the pavement. But that stiffness gave it very stable ride, which is a great plus on highways and in tight turns. My whole family loved the car!

Now the bad - At around 700 miles things went south and have been deteriorating since. I spent years working on cars when I was younger, and bought / sold many in the last 25 or so years of driving. So I may feel the car a bit more than an average driver but I don't consider myself picky when it comes to overall performance of any vehicle. I don't normally look for perfection but what I started experiencing is something completely off. The transmission began slipping from second to third gear, pretty badly at that too. It felt like the definition of slippage. Torque was almost completely lost while shifting from second to third gear, RPM would shoot up another 1000 or so, and then the gear would re-engage a second later. I'm not heavy footed either, by any stretch of imagination. And the tranny would do this at any level, higher or lower RPM, gunning or taking it easy. I brought the car to Bell Ford for inspection at 800 miles and after a day in the shop was told that no issues were found. I drove off and given that it's all under warranty continued driving as-is. Things, got worse with milage and soon more symptoms of trouble were apparent. Transmission would jolt and jerk shifting during very easy driving shifting from second to third, and even later in the stack from 4th to 5th. Slippage still occurs to this day although a lot more prominent while cold and less when hot. Jerking and kicking happens at any temperature. I took the car to another dealer at 10K - Peoria Ford, after leaving the car there for two days while paying for my own rental, I was told the specialist could not re-create any of the issues I mentioned :(. This was the last draw as even my 10 year old could sense the abnormal, unpredictable behavior with the tranny while riding around with me. My wife refuses to drive the car now altogether. I'm afraid to drive it long distances. I just drove to Denver and back and after couple of hours on the freeway if I got off to get food or gas, the transmission shifting issues were more pronounced than ever. The slipping, hesitation, jolting got worse. I'm not sure where to go from here but I would hesitate to ever buy another ford given the dealer support and expertise I received so far. This is actually my second run-in with Ford transmission issues as I had problems with a 2011 Taurus I owned before with very similar issues but at around 55K miles. But all that is for another review.

Well optioned, functional design, smooth, comfort
By john adams

2015 Ford Explorer SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Expert reviewers have 2nd and 3rd seat leg room comments wrong. Not only is almost 40 inches for 2nd row plenty, you can adjust them. And 33 inches plus in the 3rd makes an adult possible for the 3rd row. Plenty of space for storage with 3rd seat down and useful space with it up. Bucket seat configuration for second seat allows access to 3rd row without having to fold seats. Push button option for 3rd row makes very easy to use. Limited model has great features to include heated and cooled front seats and heated 2nd row seats. Push button folding rear view mirrors helps in tight parking spaces. Back up camera great size and easy to use. Ride is smooth, comfortable, and quite. Gas mileage is low to mid-20's in combination of city and highway driving. Brakes are solid. Functionality of design and fun to drive and ride in are hard combination to beat. While competitors may have some features that stand out more than the Explorer in some areas, few are able to optimize the real world usefulness that this car has. The standard for the 3 seat SUV is here.

Fits family and budget
By Dave fulkerson

2015 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

After nearly 2 years of ownership there's nothing not to like about our Explorer. We haul kids, camping gear and sports gear long and short distances very comfortably. There is no reason to pay $50000 or more for a quality family utility vehicle. The cost of ownership makes the Explorer a much better choice than the foreign snob-mobiles.