2014 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Great Vehicle for Price
By johndaily on 07/18/14 08:32 AM (PDT)

2014 Ford Explorer SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Had my 2013 Explorer Base - AWD - for a little over a year. The car has performed perfectly for me. Plenty of pick up & power between 3-4RPM but your MPG will hurt. I can average 19-20MPG Compbined City & HWY. The interior blows away the Chevy competition, can't speak towards dodge and other direct competitors. So far the only issue i've had has been with the gas tank. Car infront of me lost its muffler and i couldn't avoid. it struck my gas tank causing the sending unit to fail. a $25 part cost me almost $500 because of the time to take down the sattle style gas tank.

Good car worst service by almost all Ford Dealers
By raed1 on 07/14/14 09:25 AM (PDT)

2014 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my Ford Explorer 2013 with about 10,000 miles on it from a car dealer in MA. Besides the manufacturer warranty, that car was a Ford Certified vehicle, which an additional 12,000 miles and 12 months warranty. All was worth less from the first problem with the car. The car started leaking water through the seat belts of the back seat, and here was the moment of truth. Dealers were reluctant to accept the car for service, and when I tried to lure them by including oil change and break service, they gave me two appointments, now for oil change and break job but weeks for the water leak. This experience involved about four dealers one of them is about an hour and a half from my home.

Good overall but not great
By mark3840 on 07/13/14 13:04 PM (PDT)

2014 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We like our Limited Explorer quite a bit. Good daily driver and good on trips. I would prefer the larger Expedition but the Explorer is all we need. Engine has to struggle to perform but it suffices. I imagine the larger ecoboost performs better but it only comes in Sport model. We paid just over $43k for MSRP of $50k - so good value for what it is. It rides well and has lots of features - but there are downsides as well.

Awesome
By squire815 on 07/12/14 03:55 AM (PDT)

2014 Ford Explorer SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I recently traded a 2007 exployer sport trac for 2014 exployer. The is a major differents in the ride quialty from the 07 to the 14 . Gas milage has been very impressive on the highway my best so far has been 26.5 at a 77mph. cruise with 3 people & the air on. City has been pretty good at about 21. It rides very smooth & there is no problem when you need power to pass. I am very happy so far with my exployer.

What is up with Consumer Reports?
By jg88 on 05/14/14 08:47 AM (PDT)

2014 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Recently read the CR annual auto review and they gave the Explorer extremely low marks for gas mileage and the transmission. Having just put over 800 miles on a 2014 XLT/AWD, I'm wondering what exactly are they doing at CR these days to test cars. We were in Denver, Boulder and Estes Park with a 75/25 combination of in town, mtn roads and steep inclines/highway and over three tank refills, I measured 22.4, 20.1 and 21.4 mpg for an average of over 21. (The trip computer measured 20.8 over the 800+ miles.) CR reports 18 mpg over their test cycle of combined driving. That is over 3 mpg difference and I can assure you, their test drive is nothing like the roads we were on.

2014 Explorer leather seats
By daryl12 on 04/20/14 18:44 PM (PDT)

2014 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My 2014 has a light tan leather seats. The color from blue jeans absorbs into the seats. I do not have any jeans that haven't been washed several times. I can clean them and a week later the color of jeans are back on them. Ford will not do anything about it. Do not get light colored seats.

Sport
By whp87 on 02/05/14 16:17 PM (PST)

2014 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I traded in my 2011 charger r/t and 1500 silverado for the explorer sport and my wife couldn't be happier. The sport handles superbly in the horrible snow storms in the Rocky Mountain Region. The sport seems as if it is almost as quick as my charger r/t. The sport is really fun to drive and fits all sorts of stuff for my young family. The fuel economy is very misleading; on a road trip of approximately 1200 miles round trip, I averaged 18 mpg, which made me a little upset considering 22mpg is what is advertised. Overall it is a wonderful vehicle; it's fast enough for me, comfortable and safe for my family, and it fits all of my kids' stuff.

Love my new ford explorer!
By momforddriver on 10/02/13 13:42 PM (PDT)

2014 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Why did I wait so long to trade in my 2003 Ford explorer for the new 2014 ford explorer limited! I test drove the limited, awd & 4 cyl. ecoboost; plus th xlt & sport. Of all of them, the limited offers the most comfort & advanced options I was looking for. This truck rides so much more car like than my last explorer. Additionally, I like the pickup from the regular 3.5L 6 cylinder engine on the limited vs. the ecoboost 2.0L 4 cylinder. I think a 4 cyl. is good for a car, but not an suv. I recently took a carload of teenagers in my limited and it handled beautifully with the "extra weight" in the car. I don't think the 4 cyl. could have handled that.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2014 Ford Explorer Suv in VA is:

$134 per month*