Used 2014 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

2014 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Good Car
By Jennifer

2014 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Enough with the alarms and sensors!
By Melanie Broga

2014 Ford Explorer SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought a 2014 Explorer and liked it ok, but sold it for 2 main reasons that were just too annoying. Reason #1. Enough with the idiot alarms. I'm adult, and I know how to drive. If the car is on, and you hop out of your car because you forgot your sunglasses, or you're running into the cleaners, or the atm, and you have the key in your purse or pocket, the car horn gives 2 loud honks in your ear because it obviously wants to remind you not to get on a plane with the key in your purse. Then there's the "vehicle from right, vehicle coming from the left" alarm and the dreadful "you're about to hit somebody" alarm (even though the car in front is turning), and "for your safety please stay alert to road conditions when operating entertainment devices" while my passenger is plugging in her phone to the USB, and lastly, the "tailgate is coming down" alarm. Driving this car with all of its sissy alarms raised my blood pressure and made me feel more tense for no reason. I'm also a little annoyed that my husband's late model jeep doesn't have these alarms, so why, Ford, why?? Reason #2: The front console was insanely sensitive. We often had the cord to our iphones touch it and suddenly the heat is on full blast, or it switches sources- from FM to CD. While the car handled well and was well equipped for cargo and towing and power, the everyday driving experience with the reasons listed above made us unload it.

Best we ever had
By Marc Coulon

2014 Ford Explorer SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Drive it so you can appreciate the comfort. My wife loved the seats!! Hope Ford continue with this model. Our plan is to trade every 2 years and so far this is the model we will choose. Keep it up Ford!

Very happy with 2014 Explorer
By WestMich

2014 Ford Explorer SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This 2014 Explorer Limited is my second in a row. Company cars. I have around 60k miles on her and she has been a workhorse at over 30k miles per year. When you drive this much and spend so much time in the car you learn what you like and do not like about a car quickly for everyday use.

Pros: Comfy seating, heated seats in front and back, cooled front seats, HEATED STEERING WHEEL (not an option in any Subaru and many other winter-built cars which blows my mind), large capacity rear storage and very functional, push-button rear seat/storage configurations, adequate acceleration, adequate GPS. Great back-up camera and love the audio back-up notification if something is in the way. Confy ride on the road. Has given me no mechanical trouble since day 1, which may be my favorite thing about it.

Cons: The infotainment system is a total fail--complicated interface, controls stink and voice recognition is infuriatingly horrible. Those designers need to be reassigned to shipping and receiving. Randomly freezes and re-boots. Second row of seats has poor leg room for an SUV this size. AWD system selection that adjusts torque/gear ratios based on selection is not my favorite. Had to get snow tires for decent snow traction, and ground clearance could be better--I have been stuck in 6-8 inches of snow.

Nit-picky things: The front console storage is poorly designed in my opinion: just a huge cavity--how can this be practical? Anything that goes in on the bottom is necessarily inaccessible if you put anything else in there. Also, the storage under the touch screen is just as bad--had to access the USB ports and it is just a cavern where things are jumbled together.

FORD EXPLORER IS THE BEST SUV FOR THE $$$
By Ernest

2014 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

All these whiners on the reviews probably don't own one. I pulled the trigger and bought me one. I will agree to those that say that the modern control layout may be confusing at first, but after regular use its a breeze. (If you can't figure how to use touchscreen devices, well, stick to low tech layouts) Steering controls are easy and simple to use unless you have sausages for fingers. And for heaven's sake its a mid size vehicle...If you know your passangers are behemoths, get a van or large vehicle. 3rd row seats are tight for adults but my 5 feet tall kids fit perfectly. MPG are not too bad considering the size of the vehicle. 20/26 avg give or take city/hwy.