2014 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Have owned a 2004 and now the 2014 Limited
By 1963f100

2014 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Really wanted a SUV with at least a reasonable third row seat. With about 12,000 miles on it I'm pretty happy. I do miss my old V8 as I just don't feel the acceleration of the eco-boost is as strong. I did buy all but one of the available additional feature packages. Really like that the second row has heated seats. Ironically I think a better salesman could've talked me in to the final upgrade as it would be nice to have the navigation (vs ford sync which uses your phone) and high-def headlights. My only real criticism is the blind spots, even the hood height makes it a little hard to park. I do like the Blind-Spot systems (mirror blinks).

Blind-Spot System and heated second row seats. Touch screen, interior cabin design. Rearview camera. I like that driving directions, etc. display conveniently to the right of the speedometer.

Front Camera, better lumbar support. Not in love with ford sync - navigation should be standard on the limited.

Great Vehicle for Price
By johndaily

2014 Ford Explorer 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Had my 2013 Explorer Base - AWD - for a little over a year. The car has performed perfectly for me. Plenty of pick up & power between 3-4RPM but your MPG will hurt. I can average 19-20MPG Compbined City & HWY. The interior blows away the Chevy competition, can't speak towards dodge and other direct competitors. So far the only issue i've had has been with the gas tank. Car infront of me lost its muffler and i couldn't avoid. it struck my gas tank causing the sending unit to fail. a $25 part cost me almost $500 because of the time to take down the sattle style gas tank.

Interior in general - the seats are very comfortable and the paneling is a nice, soft quality especially compared to the hard plastic panels provided my Chevy.

If possible get rid of the sattle style gas tank.

Good car worst service by almost all Ford Dealers
By raed1

2014 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my Ford Explorer 2013 with about 10,000 miles on it from a car dealer in MA. Besides the manufacturer warranty, that car was a Ford Certified vehicle, which an additional 12,000 miles and 12 months warranty. All was worth less from the first problem with the car. The car started leaking water through the seat belts of the back seat, and here was the moment of truth. Dealers were reluctant to accept the car for service, and when I tried to lure them by including oil change and break service, they gave me two appointments, now for oil change and break job but weeks for the water leak. This experience involved about four dealers one of them is about an hour and a half from my home.

Backup camera, auto gate lift

They have to improvement their service through their dealers significantly. I know that they sell some of their cars cheap and they have to make a profit through bad after sale service, but some of their cars cost close to Mercedes and BMW and this require having a comparable service.

Good overall but not great
By mark3840

2014 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We like our Limited Explorer quite a bit. Good daily driver and good on trips. I would prefer the larger Expedition but the Explorer is all we need. Engine has to struggle to perform but it suffices. I imagine the larger ecoboost performs better but it only comes in Sport model. We paid just over $43k for MSRP of $50k - so good value for what it is. It rides well and has lots of features - but there are downsides as well.

AC seats except they're loud if you use them on high!! Lots of cup holders. Auto folding rear seats. Fold flat floor. Lots of features on loaded Limited model. We consistently average 19 mpg combined and that's checking mpg at fill up using a calculator - not vehicles' computer. 24 mpg on highway might be achieved if I kept it under 65 - other than that expect around 21-22 on hwy. Rear seats aren't too bad for adults - really good and comfortable for kids. Needs auto dim side mirrors. Expect oil changes to be required around 7,500 miles, which is good.

We ordered our vehicle so that the DVD player would play in surround sound through speakers. You have to tune to a radio station to do this, however, it rarely works properly. Lots of static and breaking up!!! Very disappointed!! My Droid nor my wife's IPhone work properly 100% of the time. Very frustrating. Get rid of the computer touch screen system. It takes too long to change entertainment, climate, navigation and everything else. Way too distracting. Go back to buttons or something else please!!!! Plus it has glitches on occasion. I can work everything in the system so that's not the case. It's just too many steps to do a simple task - and voice commands are rarely accurate.

Awesome
By squire815

2014 Ford Explorer 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I recently traded a 2007 exployer sport trac for 2014 exployer. The is a major differents in the ride quialty from the 07 to the 14 . Gas milage has been very impressive on the highway my best so far has been 26.5 at a 77mph. cruise with 3 people & the air on. City has been pretty good at about 21. It rides very smooth & there is no problem when you need power to pass. I am very happy so far with my exployer.