2014 Ford Explorer Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2014 Explorer Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Sort Reviews by

Have owned a 2004 and now the 2014 Limited
By 1963f100

2014 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Really wanted a SUV with at least a reasonable third row seat. With about 12,000 miles on it I'm pretty happy. I do miss my old V8 as I just don't feel the acceleration of the eco-boost is as strong. I did buy all but one of the available additional feature packages. Really like that the second row has heated seats. Ironically I think a better salesman could've talked me in to the final upgrade as it would be nice to have the navigation (vs ford sync which uses your phone) and high-def headlights. My only real criticism is the blind spots, even the hood height makes it a little hard to park. I do like the Blind-Spot systems (mirror blinks).

Favorite Features

Blind-Spot System and heated second row seats. Touch screen, interior cabin design. Rearview camera. I like that driving directions, etc. display conveniently to the right of the speedometer.

Suggested Improvements

Front Camera, better lumbar support. Not in love with ford sync - navigation should be standard on the limited.

Great Vehicle for Price
By johndaily

2014 Ford Explorer 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Had my 2013 Explorer Base - AWD - for a little over a year. The car has performed perfectly for me. Plenty of pick up & power between 3-4RPM but your MPG will hurt. I can average 19-20MPG Compbined City & HWY. The interior blows away the Chevy competition, can't speak towards dodge and other direct competitors. So far the only issue i've had has been with the gas tank. Car infront of me lost its muffler and i couldn't avoid. it struck my gas tank causing the sending unit to fail. a $25 part cost me almost $500 because of the time to take down the sattle style gas tank.

Favorite Features

Interior in general - the seats are very comfortable and the paneling is a nice, soft quality especially compared to the hard plastic panels provided my Chevy.

Suggested Improvements

If possible get rid of the sattle style gas tank.

Good car worst service by almost all Ford Dealers
By raed1

2014 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my Ford Explorer 2013 with about 10,000 miles on it from a car dealer in MA. Besides the manufacturer warranty, that car was a Ford Certified vehicle, which an additional 12,000 miles and 12 months warranty. All was worth less from the first problem with the car. The car started leaking water through the seat belts of the back seat, and here was the moment of truth. Dealers were reluctant to accept the car for service, and when I tried to lure them by including oil change and break service, they gave me two appointments, now for oil change and break job but weeks for the water leak. This experience involved about four dealers one of them is about an hour and a half from my home.

Favorite Features

Backup camera, auto gate lift

Suggested Improvements

They have to improvement their service through their dealers significantly. I know that they sell some of their cars cheap and they have to make a profit through bad after sale service, but some of their cars cost close to Mercedes and BMW and this require having a comparable service.

Good overall but not great
By mark3840

2014 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We like our Limited Explorer quite a bit. Good daily driver and good on trips. I would prefer the larger Expedition but the Explorer is all we need. Engine has to struggle to perform but it suffices. I imagine the larger ecoboost performs better but it only comes in Sport model. We paid just over $43k for MSRP of $50k - so good value for what it is. It rides well and has lots of features - but there are downsides as well.

Favorite Features

AC seats except they're loud if you use them on high!! Lots of cup holders. Auto folding rear seats. Fold flat floor. Lots of features on loaded Limited model. We consistently average 19 mpg combined and that's checking mpg at fill up using a calculator - not vehicles' computer. 24 mpg on highway might be achieved if I kept it under 65 - other than that expect around 21-22 on hwy. Rear seats aren't too bad for adults - really good and comfortable for kids. Needs auto dim side mirrors. Expect oil changes to be required around 7,500 miles, which is good.

Suggested Improvements

We ordered our vehicle so that the DVD player would play in surround sound through speakers. You have to tune to a radio station to do this, however, it rarely works properly. Lots of static and breaking up!!! Very disappointed!! My Droid nor my wife's IPhone work properly 100% of the time. Very frustrating. Get rid of the computer touch screen system. It takes too long to change entertainment, climate, navigation and everything else. Way too distracting. Go back to buttons or something else please!!!! Plus it has glitches on occasion. I can work everything in the system so that's not the case. It's just too many steps to do a simple task - and voice commands are rarely accurate.

Awesome
By squire815

2014 Ford Explorer 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I recently traded a 2007 exployer sport trac for 2014 exployer. The is a major differents in the ride quialty from the 07 to the 14 . Gas milage has been very impressive on the highway my best so far has been 26.5 at a 77mph. cruise with 3 people & the air on. City has been pretty good at about 21. It rides very smooth & there is no problem when you need power to pass. I am very happy so far with my exployer.

What is up with Consumer Reports?
By jg88

2014 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Recently read the CR annual auto review and they gave the Explorer extremely low marks for gas mileage and the transmission. Having just put over 800 miles on a 2014 XLT/AWD, I'm wondering what exactly are they doing at CR these days to test cars. We were in Denver, Boulder and Estes Park with a 75/25 combination of in town, mtn roads and steep inclines/highway and over three tank refills, I measured 22.4, 20.1 and 21.4 mpg for an average of over 21. (The trip computer measured 20.8 over the 800+ miles.) CR reports 18 mpg over their test cycle of combined driving. That is over 3 mpg difference and I can assure you, their test drive is nothing like the roads we were on.

Favorite Features

AWD, Auto/manual mode on steep, winding hills, interior comfort for 6 adults, ride and noise comfort. Also, there was over 6" of snow in the mountains beyond Boulder and I had the chance to use the snow setting on the select knob, it worked really well. This was just last weekend, the roads around Boulder were wet, the mountains were blanketed. CR reports the tranny to be a solid black ball, their worst level. I found it to be smooth shifting and the auto/manual mode on steep, winding mountain roads worked perfectly. I used it a lot and am impressed with its ability to rapidly change gears as needed. Again what the heck was CR measuring? Also, we were 6 adult passengers.

Suggested Improvements

We were in an XLT so I didn't get to see all the features a Limited would have so the improvements I would want are just options lists. One thing I found distracting was the climate and entertainment interfaces, it took a while to master them. Am sure as an owner there would be a time period to adjust. Personally, I like knobs and tactile controls on cars, not the touch screen interfaces.

2014 Explorer leather seats
By daryl12

2014 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My 2014 has a light tan leather seats. The color from blue jeans absorbs into the seats. I do not have any jeans that haven't been washed several times. I can clean them and a week later the color of jeans are back on them. Ford will not do anything about it. Do not get light colored seats.

Sport
By whp87

2014 Ford Explorer Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I traded in my 2011 charger r/t and 1500 silverado for the explorer sport and my wife couldn't be happier. The sport handles superbly in the horrible snow storms in the Rocky Mountain Region. The sport seems as if it is almost as quick as my charger r/t. The sport is really fun to drive and fits all sorts of stuff for my young family. The fuel economy is very misleading; on a road trip of approximately 1200 miles round trip, I averaged 18 mpg, which made me a little upset considering 22mpg is what is advertised. Overall it is a wonderful vehicle; it's fast enough for me, comfortable and safe for my family, and it fits all of my kids' stuff.

Favorite Features

The heated seats, the available 2nd row bucket seats, twin turbo charged engine! The terrain management system is pretty cool and really helps with traction on really icy and snowy roads.

Suggested Improvements

Well, at 4,000 miles my heated seats quit working. When we hit the heated seat button, the air conditioned portion of the seat kicked in...which really sucked considering this happened in January. Ford's customer service at the shop was outstanding and they quickly replaced the heating/cooling element in both front seats. Other than the minor inconvenience of the heated seats going out, the explorer has been a champ.

Love my new ford explorer!
By momforddriver

2014 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Why did I wait so long to trade in my 2003 Ford explorer for the new 2014 ford explorer limited! I test drove the limited, awd & 4 cyl. ecoboost; plus th xlt & sport. Of all of them, the limited offers the most comfort & advanced options I was looking for. This truck rides so much more car like than my last explorer. Additionally, I like the pickup from the regular 3.5L 6 cylinder engine on the limited vs. the ecoboost 2.0L 4 cylinder. I think a 4 cyl. is good for a car, but not an suv. I recently took a carload of teenagers in my limited and it handled beautifully with the "extra weight" in the car. I don't think the 4 cyl. could have handled that.

Favorite Features

Favorite features are the Myford touch sync, works beautifully, I've tried everything from gps to making calls, to receiving texts, to changing temperatures and have had no problem so far. I love the comfortable seats (I have a bad back so this was an important feature for me). Also love the cooled seats; heated seats in the front & middle rows; and the coolest feature is the push button to powerfold the middle row seats to give tons of room to access the 3rd row seats. Additionally, love the power 3rd row seat & liftgate. I may keep this car forever! I also love the reclining 2nd row seats and the ability to move both 2nd row seats fore and aft (I have the bucket seats).

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement I can think of is the lack of leg room for the driver for your left leg - for some reason Ford put a foot rest and while it doesn't bother me (I don't usually extend my left leg while driving) some people may not like this. Also, only the 2nd row bucket seats allow you to move them fore and aft. If you get the bench seat you can only move the right seat fore and aft - this makes no sense and I purposely didn't get the bench seat because of that. Having those extra inches to move the 2nd row back when you have a tall driver, is important.