27,149 of 27,184 people found this review helpful
Towing Issues
By textbook on
2013 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)
I just bought a 2013 Explorer with a tow package with the intent of occasionally needing to rent a trailer as I had done with my previous vehicle (a 2009 Edge). I found out after the purchase that U-Haul has black-listed all model years of Explorer and will not rent towable equipment that will towed by any Explorer. This fact was not know by the dealer.
Recommend (27,149) (35)
By f18aoc
on 01/12/13 06:50 AM (PST)

U-Haul has black listed Ford Explorers for years. It was based on the previous models tendency to roll over while towing trailers at high speeds. It is a shame they didn't upgrade that stance with the new model Explorers. One reason I did not opt for the tow package for mine. Sorry you didn't find out until after the fact.

By nigel1881
on 12/01/13 05:02 AM (PST)

After seeing this initial post I did some more information digging. Most of the information I was finding was old so I decided to contact Uhaul directly through thier instant chat. The tech, Kimberly, stated that they have blacklisted most of the Explorers but the newer ones are cleared now. I specifically asked about a 2013. Kimberly did however state that Uhaul recommends that you get a recent inspection to ensure that everything is good to go. I hope this helps other current and future Explorer owners.