My Newest Sweetheart
By christopher977 on
2013 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)
This is a truly marvelous SUV. Styling is a head turner w/20 inch wheels, well sculpted body and body creases. Corners great with its unitized body and the interior coddles its passengers with plush leather seats, an ABUNDANCE of space in all rows, intuitive tech features and a wonderfully clear, 13 speaker stereo. I love the solidity of driving in our nasty Chicago winters while the terrain management system makes short work of 10 inches of untouched snow and my wife and I are treated to heated seats, satellite radio and warm cocoa. Summers are also a treat under the dual sunroofs. This car was designed heavily based on the Land Rover and I swear somedays I forget that it isn't one!
Favorite Features
Sync, Myford Touch, Terrain Management System, dual sun-roofs, peppy 3.5 liter engine, heated seats, power folding mirrors, voice-activated commands. I could list other features, but let me rave about that terrain management system. It allows you to 'set' the 4wheel drive for the road. For example: In 'snow' mode, it drives all four wheels, but can increase/decrease power to a slipping wheel, while reassigning that power to a wheel that has proper traction. This is a key advantage over a passive all-wheel drive system when you in the dead of winter. The voice commands are also a wonderful feature. Takes a little getting used to but once done, hard to imagine life without it.
Suggested Improvements
Minor things really. For starters, I wish the rear glass on the hatch could open independent of the full hatch itself. It is quite burdensome to have to open that big hulking hatch just to toss a few items behind the third row. Also, a heated steering wheel as an option to accompany the heated seats would be fantastic. A more traditional turn signal stalk or at least one with a more tactile feel. This is one of those where you don't 'click' it down and it stays, you merely press it down lightly to pass or press it more forcefully if you want it to stay blinking. Problem is it just feels clunky, I am heavy handed and I always feel like I am breaking something in there. As said, minor....