2013 Ford Explorer Consumer Review: headlights are very poor

2013 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Review

headlights are very poor
By starter352 on

2013 Ford Explorer 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I recently purchased a 203 ford explorer. This was my very first ford and will be my last. Do not buy this car if you plan on driving at night on anything but a very well lit road. It has been back to dealership several times, everyone that drives it concurs that the lighting is an issue, but since Ford says it is a character of the car nothing can be done, even though they have received numerous complaints. The lights perform so poorly that my wife will not drive it at night. I am hoping this posting keeps someone else from making the mistake I did.

Other than the highlights the car performs as it should.
By carefulswede
on 02/03/15 15:14 PM (PST)

I totally agree about the headlight issue. It is a beyond irritating. It's a real hazard when your forward "reach" suddenly shortens as you find yourself going into a dip in the road. Road signs are often illegible (in the dark) unless you go to high beams, lousing up the oncoming driver's vision.

By ritagal
on 08/03/13 19:17 PM (PDT)

I totally agree with the above posting. I am very uncomfortable driving the explorer at night with low beams. I feels as though a black line has been painted on the top third of the windshield. I do not feel safe on poorly lit back roads. Of course we did not test drive this car at night. Another drawback is that the rear liftgate no longer has a window that raises to load parcels. One must raise the entire liftgate to get to rear cargo area. Other than the 2 issues the car is great. The light issue would be enough for me to not have purchased the car if I knew about it ahead of time