2013 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)
My previous car was a BMW 5 series. We wanted something utilitarian to support our lifestyle with two kids, visiting family, road trips to the mountains, beach etc. Minivan was out of the question. We could have spent $70K+ on a comparability equipped Benz GL or Audi Q7. We netted a fully loaded Explorer for $45K - a great value in my book. We have 5,000 miles on it over 6 month and it's been positive.
The car does not provide a thrilling driver's experience like the 5 series does, but that's not what you get this car for. We will put the $25k we saved over a benz/audi and put it towards a real drivers sports car as our other car.
- Dashboard LCD displays that are configurable with the steering wheel controls.
- Large center console touch screen LCD
- Great phone bluetooth integration
- Collision warning with heads up display
- Adaptive cruise control - it actually uses the brakes and gas for you
- Lane keeping system - amazing technology
- Heated AND cooled seats with heated steering wheel
- Power auto fold and stow third row seats
- Power lift gate
- Keyless entry, remote start
- Backup camera with park assist guides
- Blind spot warning
- USB, and plenty of power/connectivity
- HID headlights with auto-high beam
- convenience entry (seat, steering move out of way)
- Visibility is not the best. Seems like they could have made the windows larger. Thankfully there are plenty of driver aides - camera, park assist, cross traffic etc. You need all these in this car.
- Transmission is not the smoothest and sometimes does not due the engine justice. It could use a sport mode.
- City gas mileage is not great e.g. 14 MPG. Highway is better at like 22 MPG
- Less hard plastic on interior parts (not to BMW standards, but probably best Ford has done)
- Seats could me more plush / bolstered. they seem too small.