Used 2013 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Looks great, but it ends there.
By wasteofmoney

2013 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My wife loved the looks of the new explorer so..she got a 2013. From day one I thought it a slug, noisy on the highway and just plain mediocre. AT 30,000 mi the paint started bubbling on the aluminum hood, I brought it to ford at 36000 so it would be covered by warranty.The dealer said it was obviously a defect but Ford wont cover it.They don't have to, read your warranty it is only covered if it perforates the body panel. Besides the leaking gas tank that was pouring out all over my garage my other complaints are mpg like a v8 with 4 cyl performance. Terrible slushbox tranny

The styling on both the exterior and interior is a home run. The Nav and sync are getting better every year. I like the location of the manual shift button on the transmission it is convenient , but not the transmission

Train the dealers. The 2 I visited were arrogant and disinterested. The engine is just not competitive with other automakers in both performance and fuel economy. My daughter hates the mid seat bets and everyone hates the location of all seat hand handles. I run a fleet of vehicles and out of 25 none are ford. I started with half fords but repairs and parts costs and parts availability caused us to eliminate them. GM fleet sales calls and asks for feedback while Ford only talked to me the day we bought it.This experience just confirms systemic Ford issues.

What a great all around vehicle
By jllevere

2013 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

Purchased my 2013 Explorer Sport after 10 years of driving BMW X-5's and based on this one I will be with Ford for a while. Ecoboost is a fantastic motor. I have 18,500 miles and vehicle has been in the shop for 2 services and that's it. Not one problem even with the highly disparaged SYNC. Maybe I just got lucky but my just plain works great! Did I mention how good the Ecoboost motor is! Over 20MPG on the highway and 15-17 in stop and go city driving. Really a lot of pickup for getting on freeways or passing.

Ecoboost motor is fantastic Comfortable seats and great handling for SUV. Nice size for parking etc and lots of room inside Really works well as a dog hauler.

I haven't got one issue with this vehicle. It has really been good and that's why I took the time to write a review. Two other friends have now bought Explorer Sports based on my experience and they also agree that its a solid SUV with great power.

I like my Explorer
By adam82

2013 Ford Explorer SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

18 months and 26,000 miles after buying new, I have not had any problems. I average 19 mpg in suburban Atlanta based on HWY and City driving combined. I tow a 3500 lb trailer a few times a year with ease. I am probably harder than average on my vehicles, though I do not abuse them. I regret buying the base model and wish I would have spent more $ for more fun features.

V6 Power-train (engine and transmission combined) is very smooth and powerful enough. Tows my 3500 lb trailer quite well. Decent gas mileage. Versatile configuration of rear seats when not in use. Roomy.

First front wheel drive vehicle Ive driven in a long time and wheels spin from a stop occasionally and torque when I stomp it while moving. Base model feels very stripped down but I like the interior. I do not like how the lights go on / off or vice versa (interior / exterior) once vehicle is stopped.

Rolling disaster
By grayling

2013 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Everything on this car breaks or is a "software problem" that Ford admits there is a problem but they don't have the fix for. Transmissons lights are on, does not detect the key, the My Ford Touch system is a joke and a waste of money. They haven't been able to repair it for 4 years and now they are going to another software provider. Bluetooth sound quality is horrible and I travel a lot for work and drive a lot of different cars. Drive a GM if you want a reliable car with a simple bluetooth system that is crystal clear. This is my 3rd Ford and my last, their quality has gone down hill and they have no interest in improving it.

Not many, most options on the car don't work as they are advertised to and the service department at the dealership can't fix them either.

Tear out the electronics and go with Apple....you will have no problems The scary thing is how many customers have you ran off because of all of Ford's past mistakes and lack of customer support????

Satisfied!
By danxthemann

2013 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have a 2013 Ford Explorer Limited and it's great to drive! I really enjoy it! Sometimes I wish it'd accelerate faster but that doesn't take away from how gorgeous and luxurious looking it is!! The interior quality is very luxurious and well done! A MAJOR upgrade from it's older model. This is my second ford and they never seem to disappoint. I know longer drive my '07 BMW because I'm enjoying this so much!