2013 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Review after 9 months of ownership
By missfc on 01/09/14 15:59 PM (PST)

2013 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My 1st Ford ever, I'm a 40 yr old woman, driving all my life. What I hate about the Explorer: the harsh ride on bumps when you're going over 20mph. It's a soft ride at very low speeds. Also the insulation is insufficient and you hear every pothole very loudly inside the cabin almost like a wheel fell off or something. I also HATE the rattling, squeaking, noises it makes from the dashboard and console area at only 8,000 miles. I only drive on roads, can't imagine how it will fall apart if I actually went off roading. Also, on a cold day, the ignition refused to turn on when leaving from a grocery store one day. Called roadside assistance. Car hates cold, makes weird noises till it warms up.

Worst Vehicle I've Ever Owned!!
By honestguy on 01/09/14 05:48 AM (PST)

2013 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is my last Ford. I have had nothing but problems with it over last year! Ford service doesn't know how or cant fix the long list of issues. Pathetic! The navigation doesnt allow anyone to use it while driving, even passenger, and is super complicated. I use my phone now. Hvac is all messed up, locking on hi heat while on max low a/c. Fuel feed hesitates when accelerating so it nearly gets u into accidents when quick acceleration from stop or in traffic needed. Too many other items to list. Please avoid at all costs. I paid for leather and nav $2200 outta pocket as this is company car and I was gonna buy it for wife after 70K miles cheap. After 45K, I just want rid of it! Hate it!!

Not a luxury SUV but who cares it is fun
By vitgor on 09/20/13 21:16 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I use this vehicle private and for business (agriculture). The AWD works very well for driving around on fields. Only the front spoiler under the bumper is quite low. The room is enough and it feels very roomy. Somehow this Explorer is really fun to drive.

REALLY LIKE MY EXPLORER
By 0jay on 08/04/13 07:18 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The only issue I have is the Third row you can only on get in on the drivers side. Not much room back there. Wish I had mode lighting on this one. Gas is not as good as my Edge but I knew this before I got it.

Best one yet
By gregg25 on 07/30/13 21:39 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had 2 prior Explorers and a GMC Envoy SUV's. These were great cars but no where near is nice as this 2013 Explorer. The vehicle is very comfortable, quiet, roomy, yet not that big. It drives and rides like a car and tows like a truck. We can fit our grand children's car seats in the second and third rows and still have room for the adults. The seats flip and fold very easy. It tows my 3500 lb boat with 6 people effortlessly. My touch-sync is great. Needed a couple of re-boots but now is great. Getting 23 MPG highway and mixed driving 18, much better then prior SUV's. My 6'3" son in law was comfortable in every seat including the third row with his 5 year old son in a car seat.

No Leg Room
By nolegroom45 on 07/23/13 13:09 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased a 2013 Ford Explr XLT 2 weeks ago. After test driving the vehicle I did not notice the lack of leg room as I was too busy playing with the MyTouch and working the mirrors to even bother. On my way home after purchasing the vehicle, I had a cramp and went to stretch out my left (non driving) leg. It was met abruptly by the "dead petal". After I got home I tried many ways to reduce the "dead petal" but could not get it to work with my size. I am only 6'3" which is taller than average but I am no giant. I wouldn't recommend this vehicle to anyone who is taller than 6 feet. My mother's 2002 Explr has all the leg room in the world. Not sure why Ford made the new ones so small.

howling noise 2013 explorer
By karentoby1 on 07/19/13 18:23 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford Explorer SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

we have our 2013 explorer back after 3 times in the shop and we are very happy now. we were very unhappy when we did not get to enjoy it when it was in the shop i read some silly comments here about not having the space to put child seats in the middle and be able to seat adults in the rear by sliding the middle seats, where afterthought passenger seats can be deployed if necessary! if you want to put a large capacity of adults/children comfortably and convenient access to such seating-then get a minivan for goodness sakes, PEOPLE! GET A CLUE!

Howling noise 2013 Explorer
By karentoby1 on 07/18/13 06:06 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford Explorer SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

dealership we bought this from cannot solve a persistent humming/howling noise that stays at one tone when the a/c is on fresh-not max at hwy speeds. we have 3000 miles, and have had in in their shop 3 times-the last 2 times for over a week. they keep claiming they have it fixed and we get it back with the noise as soon as we get on the hwy.we love the design and everything else-but we are very disappointed with inconsistent customer service attitudes and honesty.

Not The New Car Experience I expected
By chairmanb on 06/21/13 14:54 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this fully loaded Explorer Limited through the Costco auto purchase program and picked it up at the Ford dealer in Helena, MT. Drove it home (about 200 miles) then made three trips to the airport. The "check engine light" went on after about 300 miles. I took it into Ford and they told me they needed to completely dismantle the transmission in order to replace the defective torque converter. This is a BRAND NEW CAR. I don't want t new tiorque3 converter, I want a new car and so far nothing from Ford. Buyer beware. This was a known issue and my new car is sitting at the dealer.

rent first
By nomorevan2 on 05/11/13 06:17 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I wish I had rented this car for a while before I purchased it. I was looking for a car that had capacity similar to a minivan without being one. For storage, it is better than most SUV's. On the down side, the visiblity from all perspectives is poor due to the design of the small windows. This is just dangerous. The hood of the car also sits high and is more difficult to see over compared to other, even larger, SUV's. And I don't what they were thinking when it came to the drink holders. They are few in # and quite nonfunctional, ie, no mug handles and too deep so you can't pick up your drink. The rear holders are at your feet. Yuk. They forgot comfort, convenience and even safety.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Ford Explorer Suv in VA is:

$166 per month*