Used 2013 Ford Explorer Base SUV Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

2013 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

40,000 miles and paint chipping off???!!!
By Cathy

2013 Ford Explorer SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I've driven Explorers for 20 years. I've been thoroughly satisfied with every one....until now. After purchasing a certified 2013 XLT with 39,00 miles, in the perfect colour, I thought I was in for many years and many miles of satisfaction. Wrong! On THE DRIVE HOME a piece of paint came off the hood! Needless to say, I was--and remain--frustrated and angry. After many calls to the dealer, trips to two body shops, and LOTS of research, I'm left with the knowledge that dealers, Ford Motor, and body shops are all aware of this long-standing issue. That's what I'm left with....oh, and the news that the wonderful warranty we have is worthless and the repairs (anywhere from $600-$1000) is all on me. 33 days into ownership and I wish I had my 10-year-old vehicle back. I'm done with Ford.

Dangerous vehicle
By Gary Blakeney

2013 Ford Explorer SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Owned this SUV for two years. Was coming thru a toll booth on the Ohio Turnpike. I was just starting to accelerate when at about 15 mph I heard a loud boom and the front passenger side dropped to the ground and pulled me hard to the right. I got out to look and saw the lower control arm broke cleanly in two, which ripped the front axle out of the transmission. This is something that should never happen and I will never buy a Ford again. 36,000 miles and the vehicle has never been in an accident. I'm just glad I didn't have my kids with me or was traveling at a higher rate of speed. What a shame.

I like my Explorer
By adam82

2013 Ford Explorer SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

18 months and 26,000 miles after buying new, I have not had any problems. I average 19 mpg in suburban Atlanta based on HWY and City driving combined. I tow a 3500 lb trailer a few times a year with ease. I am probably harder than average on my vehicles, though I do not abuse them. I regret buying the base model and wish I would have spent more $ for more fun features.

V6 Power-train (engine and transmission combined) is very smooth and powerful enough. Tows my 3500 lb trailer quite well. Decent gas mileage. Versatile configuration of rear seats when not in use. Roomy.

First front wheel drive vehicle Ive driven in a long time and wheels spin from a stop occasionally and torque when I stomp it while moving. Base model feels very stripped down but I like the interior. I do not like how the lights go on / off or vice versa (interior / exterior) once vehicle is stopped.

howling noise 2013 explorer
By karentoby1

2013 Ford Explorer SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

we have our 2013 explorer back after 3 times in the shop and we are very happy now. we were very unhappy when we did not get to enjoy it when it was in the shop
i read some silly comments here about not having the space to put child seats in the middle and be able to seat adults in the rear by sliding the middle seats,
where afterthought passenger seats can be deployed if necessary!
if you want to put a large capacity of adults/children comfortably and convenient access to such seating-then get a minivan for goodness sakes, PEOPLE! GET A CLUE!

comfort, style, ride, performance, looks, color

recall inherent problems like we had and people will appreciate ford for acknowledging such issues-we all know vehicles have glitches-even the high end ones!

Howling noise 2013 Explorer
By karentoby1

2013 Ford Explorer SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

dealership we bought this from cannot solve a persistent humming/howling noise that stays at one tone when the a/c is on fresh-not max at hwy speeds. we have 3000 miles, and have had in in their shop 3 times-the last 2 times for over a week. they keep claiming they have it fixed and we get it back with the noise as soon as we get on the hwy.we love the design and everything else-but we are very disappointed with inconsistent customer service attitudes and honesty.

looks, ride, comfort, elbow room

front grill design looks cheap and humming noise issue from the a/c on the hwy