Used 2013 Ford Explorer Sport SUV Consumer Reviews - 6 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Do I Buy out my leased 2013 Explorer Sport?
By Glenn

2013 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I love my vehicle. With 42,000 miles out of the 45,000 3 year lease commitment, I naturally was ready to lease a 2016. In reading the other reviews, I thought this would be helpful to others who have been leasing for 20 years+ like me. I have decided to purchase my 2013 instead of leasing a new 2016 AND include the purchase of a 3 year 45,000 mile extended warranty. It will cost a total of $28,500 when 2013's appear to be selling between $30,000 and $33,000 in my area of the country (Northeast). The 2016's are just as nice, but not much different, so I'm not anxious to jump into another $550+/month lease given the bird in the hand that I have now.

Awesome Track Suv!
By Moses Alvarez

2013 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I have a 2013 Sport Black on Black. This Suv looks great, the interior is nice, and the performance is awesome. When Im driving this bad boy around town, peoplw in other Suvs and sometimes cars always want t race me and I destroy them everytime.

So one day I took this to the track, and ran a 14.07 bone stock! So I decided to do a livernois Stage 3 Tune and now Im doing Mid to High 12's in an Suv!!! This Suv is just awesome, the EcoBEAST engine is phenomenal. 5 out of 5 stars in performance EASY. Sure there may be a lot of plastic pieces, compared to a Range Rover or BMW X5, but the interior is very decent for an american Suv.

Plus when you know your faster than all of them, who cares am I right?? My wife even enjoys leaving the other Soccer Moms behind in their Mazda CX-9s, Chevy Traverse, Honda Oddyssey's etc...

All in all, this things is a Rocket and I am so glad I decided to purchase this over a Grand Cherokee SRT, AND I get a THIRD ROW!! WAY TO GO FORD!!!! Highly Recommend!

2013 explorer sport shortcomings
By Evan Edwards

2013 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

Have a 2013 ford explorer sport black on black. Fantastic looking vehicle and have been pleased overall until the warranty ran out. Currently at 38000 which is 2000 over. Basically one month. Ac compressor locked up and caused belt to break which left vehicle without power steering and had to be towed. Ford said " too bad out of warranty, you owe $1100. ". Vehicle is 2.5 years old. This does not seem to be a normal item to malfunction so early on and am very disappointed that Ford is taking position of no responsibility. The sync system is as bad as others say. Never worked as advertised which had been a major incentive to buy the vehicle. Also the rear parking aid stopped working and I considered that to be a minor concern but perhaps it's more indicative of future things to come. I was happy that ford had turned things around in 2009 and felt good about the purchase but not anymore. Can't imagine what I would do had the transmission failed instead of just the ac.

my Golden loves it too!
By jllevere

2013 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

Purchased my 2013 Explorer Sport after 10 years of driving BMW X-5's and based on this one I will be with Ford for a while.

Ecoboost is a fantastic motor. I have 18,500 miles and vehicle has been in the shop for 2 services and that's it. Not one problem even with the highly disparaged SYNC. Maybe I just got lucky but my just plain works great!

Did I mention how good the Ecoboost motor is! Over 20MPG on the highway and 15-17 in stop and go city driving. Really a lot of pickup for getting on freeways or passing.

I love this car
By deizik

2013 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I have a 2012 BMW and I find myself driving the Explorer more and more. Its quick, big enough for the kids and all of our stuff, great sound system, etc.

I like the way it drives, could be a bit smoother on the bumps but hey what ever.

Its heavy on the gas...Thought it would be closer to the 22 mpg but its like 18 highway, 16 on average between street and highway. Also I wish ford would come out with a more luxurious version . One that would get rid of the hard plastic and replace it with finer materials.