Used 2013 Ford Explorer Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

I like my Explorer
By adam82

2013 Ford Explorer SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

18 months and 26,000 miles after buying new, I have not had any problems. I average 19 mpg in suburban Atlanta based on HWY and City driving combined. I tow a 3500 lb trailer a few times a year with ease. I am probably harder than average on my vehicles, though I do not abuse them. I regret buying the base model and wish I would have spent more $ for more fun features.

Favorite Features

V6 Power-train (engine and transmission combined) is very smooth and powerful enough. Tows my 3500 lb trailer quite well. Decent gas mileage. Versatile configuration of rear seats when not in use. Roomy.

Suggested Improvements

First front wheel drive vehicle Ive driven in a long time and wheels spin from a stop occasionally and torque when I stomp it while moving. Base model feels very stripped down but I like the interior. I do not like how the lights go on / off or vice versa (interior / exterior) once vehicle is stopped.

howling noise 2013 explorer
By karentoby1

2013 Ford Explorer SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

we have our 2013 explorer back after 3 times in the shop and we are very happy now. we were very unhappy when we did not get to enjoy it when it was in the shop i read some silly comments here about not having the space to put child seats in the middle and be able to seat adults in the rear by sliding the middle seats, where afterthought passenger seats can be deployed if necessary! if you want to put a large capacity of adults/children comfortably and convenient access to such seating-then get a minivan for goodness sakes, PEOPLE! GET A CLUE!

Favorite Features

comfort, style, ride, performance, looks, color

Suggested Improvements

recall inherent problems like we had and people will appreciate ford for acknowledging such issues-we all know vehicles have glitches-even the high end ones!

Howling noise 2013 Explorer
By karentoby1

2013 Ford Explorer SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

dealership we bought this from cannot solve a persistent humming/howling noise that stays at one tone when the a/c is on fresh-not max at hwy speeds. we have 3000 miles, and have had in in their shop 3 times-the last 2 times for over a week. they keep claiming they have it fixed and we get it back with the noise as soon as we get on the hwy.we love the design and everything else-but we are very disappointed with inconsistent customer service attitudes and honesty.

Favorite Features

looks, ride, comfort, elbow room

Suggested Improvements

front grill design looks cheap and humming noise issue from the a/c on the hwy

What about the EcoBoost 4-Cyl?
By 8aa2ym

2013 Ford Explorer SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I'm not sure why our FWD base EcoBoost 4-Cyl isn't on the model list... Where Edmunds got the 0-60 in 9.1 seconds also baffles me. Maybe they spun the tires like I sometimes do. Our Explorer has more get-up-and-go than a 2006 Mountaineer with a V8. We love our Explorer. It is nimble, quick, and loves the highway. We get about 30 MPG at 65 MPH, but only about 24 at 80 MPH. This is still much better than our old 1998 V6 Explorer managed (topped out at 18 MPG). We have never had any issues with all of the techy gadgets. (Perhaps I am more capable than the average person.)

Favorite Features

Great exterior lines. Sporty feel when driving. Passing power. Acceleration. All the wireless gadgets. (Bluetooth, Sirius radio, etc.)

Suggested Improvements

Height adjustment on passenger-side seat.

2013 Ford Explorer Base model Needed the Space
By mario_escobedo

2013 Ford Explorer SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Just traded in my 2012 Dodge Journey (one of the worst cars I have ever bought - Never again). I was looking at a Pilot, Tahoe and Explorer. Went into the dealer on Saturday morning and test drove it. Fell in love almost immediately. I am a fairly big guy, so I needed the room. While driving I noticed that I didn't feel cramped, had plenty of leg room. I thought, this seat must be pushed all the way to the back, but NO. Back seat passengers had plenty of leg room. For family with plenty of people, this is the car for you!

Favorite Features

The interior room is more than sufficient. The bluetooth makes connecting to your phone that much more easier. Cargo space makes going to the grocery store a breeze.

Suggested Improvements

I have a low entry garage, the antenna on the top of the explorer always hits the top. I need to get out and take it off before parking. Maybe make a smaller antenna with more power to accomplish the same thing.