Used 2013 Ford Explorer Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

2013 explorer sport shortcomings
By Evan Edwards

2013 Ford Explorer Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

Have a 2013 ford explorer sport black on black. Fantastic looking vehicle and have been pleased overall until the warranty ran out. Currently at 38000 which is 2000 over. Basically one month. Ac compressor locked up and caused belt to break which left vehicle without power steering and had to be towed. Ford said " too bad out of warranty, you owe $1100. ". Vehicle is 2.5 years old. This does not seem to be a normal item to malfunction so early on and am very disappointed that Ford is taking position of no responsibility. The sync system is as bad as others say. Never worked as advertised which had been a major incentive to buy the vehicle. Also the rear parking aid stopped working and I considered that to be a minor concern but perhaps it's more indicative of future things to come. I was happy that ford had turned things around in 2009 and felt good about the purchase but not anymore. Can't imagine what I would do had the transmission failed instead of just the ac.

What a great all around vehicle
By jllevere

2013 Ford Explorer Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

Purchased my 2013 Explorer Sport after 10 years of driving BMW X-5's and based on this one I will be with Ford for a while. Ecoboost is a fantastic motor. I have 18,500 miles and vehicle has been in the shop for 2 services and that's it. Not one problem even with the highly disparaged SYNC. Maybe I just got lucky but my just plain works great! Did I mention how good the Ecoboost motor is! Over 20MPG on the highway and 15-17 in stop and go city driving. Really a lot of pickup for getting on freeways or passing.

Ecoboost motor is fantastic Comfortable seats and great handling for SUV. Nice size for parking etc and lots of room inside Really works well as a dog hauler.

I haven't got one issue with this vehicle. It has really been good and that's why I took the time to write a review. Two other friends have now bought Explorer Sports based on my experience and they also agree that its a solid SUV with great power.

I love this car
By deizik

2013 Ford Explorer Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I have a 2012 BMW and I find myself driving the Explorer more and more. Its quick, big enough for the kids and all of our stuff, great sound system, etc.

I like the way it drives, could be a bit smoother on the bumps but hey what ever.

Its heavy on the gas...Thought it would be closer to the 22 mpg but its like 18 highway, 16 on average between street and highway. Also I wish ford would come out with a more luxurious version . One that would get rid of the hard plastic and replace it with finer materials.

On a different plane...
By keboss302

2013 Ford Explorer Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

Having considered an Explorer Limited since the 2011 redesign, my wife and I are glad to have waited a couple of years for the Explorer Sport. Trading off a 2007 V8 Explorer XLT, the Sport's Ecoboost V6 and Taurus SHO driving dynamics made us completely forget the V8. This is a fully modern, refined and fun-to-drive vehicle that exists on a completely different plane from the body-on-frame Explorers of yore. It's tight, solid, carefully constructed and (to our eyes) very handsome. The dual-panel glass roof, ambient lighting and Star Trek dash layout create an interesting and special interior environment, especially at night. It feels upscale for a Ford. And at nearly $49K, it should!

The V6 Ecoboost does a GREAT job hustling this very heavy SUV. Power is immediate and ample, though a heavy foot results in a very thirsty engine. Driven sanely, we are seeing ~ 20 MPG in combined city/highway driving. Not bad for the size and performance level of the vehicle. The quality of interior materials is first-rate. Ford has come a long way here. Tons of technology here - perhaps too much. It's easy to get lost in the MyFordTouch screens. Interestingly, our pre-teen kids (ages 4-10, all of whom are iPad masters) seem to be more comfortable navigating the screens than Dad. Other reviews report wind noise around the windshield, but our Explorer Sport is quiet and cozy.

Within 10 minutes of driving off the dealer lot, we had to turn around and take it back to get the navigation system to work. Turns out they had to replace the SD card. MyFordTouch is every bit as cumbersome as everyone says: Simple things require a lot of tapping on a slow screen (and it's hit or miss with gloves in the winter). I am sure these types of systems will one day inherit the earth, but for now, it's technology for technology's sake. Seems like the interior wastes a lot of width by placing the passengers so far inboard and leaving an uncomfortably large gap between one's outboard arm and the window sill. And at nearly $49K, there are a lot of worthy alternatives out there.