2013 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
I like my Explorer
By adam82 on 05/16/14 13:52 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford Explorer 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

18 months and 26,000 miles after buying new, I have not had any problems. I average 19 mpg in suburban Atlanta based on HWY and City driving combined. I tow a 3500 lb trailer a few times a year with ease. I am probably harder than average on my vehicles, though I do not abuse them. I regret buying the base model and wish I would have spent more $ for more fun features.

Rolling disaster
By grayling on 04/30/14 23:24 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Everything on this car breaks or is a "software problem" that Ford admits there is a problem but they don't have the fix for. Transmissons lights are on, does not detect the key, the My Ford Touch system is a joke and a waste of money. They haven't been able to repair it for 4 years and now they are going to another software provider. Bluetooth sound quality is horrible and I travel a lot for work and drive a lot of different cars. Drive a GM if you want a reliable car with a simple bluetooth system that is crystal clear. This is my 3rd Ford and my last, their quality has gone down hill and they have no interest in improving it.

Satisfied!
By danxthemann on 02/26/14 22:59 PM (PST)

2013 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have a 2013 Ford Explorer Limited and it's great to drive! I really enjoy it! Sometimes I wish it'd accelerate faster but that doesn't take away from how gorgeous and luxurious looking it is!! The interior quality is very luxurious and well done! A MAJOR upgrade from it's older model. This is my second ford and they never seem to disappoint. I know longer drive my '07 BMW because I'm enjoying this so much!

Never again will I buy a Ford
By voltguy on 01/28/14 10:56 AM (PST)

2013 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Much to my frustration the Explorer has been an epic fail on both. Even with the EcoBoost it averages under 17 mpg, and as for snow it is one of the worst vehicles I have ever driven in snow. I get stuck in my driveway with as little as 1” of snow. I can’t make it up an incline without the wheels spinning even though all my neighbors can get up the street with no problems. Even with the traction control off the car makes grinding noises when the wheels spin. And to turn the traction control off you have to go 4 menus deep. I also have issues will it hesitating when pressing the gas and the GPS. Half the time is doesn't remember settings.

My Explorer is Fantastic
By rockreddog on 01/12/14 08:47 AM (PST)

2013 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have the Limited 202a package with 22,500 miles and is performing as advertised. Most of the Neg. comments are AWD models or Base models. You get what you pay for! My sync is excellent and you need to be a little Comp. savvy, if not you will have some issues, but all in all very minor. The Optimo H426 tires if pressurized to tire manufactures specs 46 psi they give a rough ride, but if you tone them down to ford recommendations at 35 psi the ride is much better. As far as room, I'm a huge dude and I have plenty of room. The people that are complaining need to by a van and need to get a clue! fold the third row seating down and there is plenty of room for four people plus cargo.

My Newest Sweetheart
By christopher977 on 01/10/14 20:00 PM (PST)

2013 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is a truly marvelous SUV. Styling is a head turner w/20 inch wheels, well sculpted body and body creases. Corners great with its unitized body and the interior coddles its passengers with plush leather seats, an ABUNDANCE of space in all rows, intuitive tech features and a wonderfully clear, 13 speaker stereo. I love the solidity of driving in our nasty Chicago winters while the terrain management system makes short work of 10 inches of untouched snow and my wife and I are treated to heated seats, satellite radio and warm cocoa. Summers are also a treat under the dual sunroofs. This car was designed heavily based on the Land Rover and I swear somedays I forget that it isn't one!

Review after 9 months of ownership
By missfc on 01/09/14 15:59 PM (PST)

2013 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My 1st Ford ever, I'm a 40 yr old woman, driving all my life. What I hate about the Explorer: the harsh ride on bumps when you're going over 20mph. It's a soft ride at very low speeds. Also the insulation is insufficient and you hear every pothole very loudly inside the cabin almost like a wheel fell off or something. I also HATE the rattling, squeaking, noises it makes from the dashboard and console area at only 8,000 miles. I only drive on roads, can't imagine how it will fall apart if I actually went off roading. Also, on a cold day, the ignition refused to turn on when leaving from a grocery store one day. Called roadside assistance. Car hates cold, makes weird noises till it warms up.

Worst Vehicle I've Ever Owned!!
By honestguy on 01/09/14 05:48 AM (PST)

2013 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is my last Ford. I have had nothing but problems with it over last year! Ford service doesn't know how or cant fix the long list of issues. Pathetic! The navigation doesnt allow anyone to use it while driving, even passenger, and is super complicated. I use my phone now. Hvac is all messed up, locking on hi heat while on max low a/c. Fuel feed hesitates when accelerating so it nearly gets u into accidents when quick acceleration from stop or in traffic needed. Too many other items to list. Please avoid at all costs. I paid for leather and nav $2200 outta pocket as this is company car and I was gonna buy it for wife after 70K miles cheap. After 45K, I just want rid of it! Hate it!!

Not a luxury SUV but who cares it is fun
By vitgor on 09/20/13 21:16 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I use this vehicle private and for business (agriculture). The AWD works very well for driving around on fields. Only the front spoiler under the bumper is quite low. The room is enough and it feels very roomy. Somehow this Explorer is really fun to drive.

REALLY LIKE MY EXPLORER
By 0jay on 08/04/13 07:18 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The only issue I have is the Third row you can only on get in on the drivers side. Not much room back there. Wish I had mode lighting on this one. Gas is not as good as my Edge but I knew this before I got it.

1 2 3 4 5 next »

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Ford Explorer in VA is:

$164 per month*