2013 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
2013 Ford Explorer Limited
By 2013explorer on 12/14/14 17:02 PM (PST)

2013 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Love the Explorer. I am starting to dislike Ford. I have a rust spot on the rear lift gate and paint flaking off in the same area just on the other side of the license plate area. Ford refuses to repair because I have 52000 miles and the bumper to bumper warranty has expired. I would think an obvious defect in the paint process would be covered on a 2013 vehicle regardless of warranty status. Three service advisers at my local dealership all agree that Ford should fix this paint defect.

Just OK as an SUV
By mauwii on 11/15/14 15:35 PM (PST)

2013 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Moved from a Chevrolet Traverse to the new Explorer and quickly found it was not a good move. The car is just OK, the performance has far too much lag in it, acceleration is deceiving, the boot is awkward, the seats are difficult to fold down. The doors are flimsy and really light. The running lights are a pain in that they don't come on when you want them to. The electronics are slow to kick-in, slow to do what you want them to do. The controls are far too small on the steering wheel, if you are a man they are painful to use. The doors don't unlock when you exit, so you have to go inside to unlock the vehicle. The fuel tank is too small and the average mile/gallon just not good enough.

Looks great, but it ends there.
By wasteofmoney on 10/07/14 09:22 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My wife loved the looks of the new explorer so..she got a 2013. From day one I thought it a slug, noisy on the highway and just plain mediocre. AT 30,000 mi the paint started bubbling on the aluminum hood, I brought it to ford at 36000 so it would be covered by warranty.The dealer said it was obviously a defect but Ford wont cover it.They don't have to, read your warranty it is only covered if it perforates the body panel. Besides the leaking gas tank that was pouring out all over my garage my other complaints are mpg like a v8 with 4 cyl performance. Terrible slushbox tranny

What a great all around vehicle
By jllevere on 09/18/14 13:30 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford Explorer Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

Purchased my 2013 Explorer Sport after 10 years of driving BMW X-5's and based on this one I will be with Ford for a while. Ecoboost is a fantastic motor. I have 18,500 miles and vehicle has been in the shop for 2 services and that's it. Not one problem even with the highly disparaged SYNC. Maybe I just got lucky but my just plain works great! Did I mention how good the Ecoboost motor is! Over 20MPG on the highway and 15-17 in stop and go city driving. Really a lot of pickup for getting on freeways or passing.

I like my Explorer
By adam82 on 05/16/14 13:52 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford Explorer 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

18 months and 26,000 miles after buying new, I have not had any problems. I average 19 mpg in suburban Atlanta based on HWY and City driving combined. I tow a 3500 lb trailer a few times a year with ease. I am probably harder than average on my vehicles, though I do not abuse them. I regret buying the base model and wish I would have spent more $ for more fun features.

Rolling disaster
By grayling on 04/30/14 23:24 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Everything on this car breaks or is a "software problem" that Ford admits there is a problem but they don't have the fix for. Transmissons lights are on, does not detect the key, the My Ford Touch system is a joke and a waste of money. They haven't been able to repair it for 4 years and now they are going to another software provider. Bluetooth sound quality is horrible and I travel a lot for work and drive a lot of different cars. Drive a GM if you want a reliable car with a simple bluetooth system that is crystal clear. This is my 3rd Ford and my last, their quality has gone down hill and they have no interest in improving it.

Satisfied!
By danxthemann on 02/26/14 22:59 PM (PST)

2013 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have a 2013 Ford Explorer Limited and it's great to drive! I really enjoy it! Sometimes I wish it'd accelerate faster but that doesn't take away from how gorgeous and luxurious looking it is!! The interior quality is very luxurious and well done! A MAJOR upgrade from it's older model. This is my second ford and they never seem to disappoint. I know longer drive my '07 BMW because I'm enjoying this so much!

Never again will I buy a Ford
By voltguy on 01/28/14 10:56 AM (PST)

2013 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Much to my frustration the Explorer has been an epic fail on both. Even with the EcoBoost it averages under 17 mpg, and as for snow it is one of the worst vehicles I have ever driven in snow. I get stuck in my driveway with as little as 1” of snow. I can’t make it up an incline without the wheels spinning even though all my neighbors can get up the street with no problems. Even with the traction control off the car makes grinding noises when the wheels spin. And to turn the traction control off you have to go 4 menus deep. I also have issues will it hesitating when pressing the gas and the GPS. Half the time is doesn't remember settings.

My Explorer is Fantastic
By rockreddog on 01/12/14 08:47 AM (PST)

2013 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have the Limited 202a package with 22,500 miles and is performing as advertised. Most of the Neg. comments are AWD models or Base models. You get what you pay for! My sync is excellent and you need to be a little Comp. savvy, if not you will have some issues, but all in all very minor. The Optimo H426 tires if pressurized to tire manufactures specs 46 psi they give a rough ride, but if you tone them down to ford recommendations at 35 psi the ride is much better. As far as room, I'm a huge dude and I have plenty of room. The people that are complaining need to by a van and need to get a clue! fold the third row seating down and there is plenty of room for four people plus cargo.

My Newest Sweetheart
By christopher977 on 01/10/14 20:00 PM (PST)

2013 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is a truly marvelous SUV. Styling is a head turner w/20 inch wheels, well sculpted body and body creases. Corners great with its unitized body and the interior coddles its passengers with plush leather seats, an ABUNDANCE of space in all rows, intuitive tech features and a wonderfully clear, 13 speaker stereo. I love the solidity of driving in our nasty Chicago winters while the terrain management system makes short work of 10 inches of untouched snow and my wife and I are treated to heated seats, satellite radio and warm cocoa. Summers are also a treat under the dual sunroofs. This car was designed heavily based on the Land Rover and I swear somedays I forget that it isn't one!

1 2 3 4 5 next »

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Ford Explorer in VA is:

$166 per month*