Used 2013 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 63 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2013 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Love this SUV!
By Andrew Fratkin

2013 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

40,000 miles and paint chipping off???!!!
By Cathy

2013 Ford Explorer 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I've driven Explorers for 20 years. I've been thoroughly satisfied with every one....until now. After purchasing a certified 2013 XLT with 39,00 miles, in the perfect colour, I thought I was in for many years and many miles of satisfaction. Wrong! On THE DRIVE HOME a piece of paint came off the hood! Needless to say, I was--and remain--frustrated and angry. After many calls to the dealer, trips to two body shops, and LOTS of research, I'm left with the knowledge that dealers, Ford Motor, and body shops are all aware of this long-standing issue. That's what I'm left with....oh, and the news that the wonderful warranty we have is worthless and the repairs (anywhere from $600-$1000) is all on me. 33 days into ownership and I wish I had my 10-year-old vehicle back. I'm done with Ford.

Dangerous vehicle
By Gary Blakeney

2013 Ford Explorer 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Owned this SUV for two years. Was coming thru a toll booth on the Ohio Turnpike. I was just starting to accelerate when at about 15 mph I heard a loud boom and the front passenger side dropped to the ground and pulled me hard to the right. I got out to look and saw the lower control arm broke cleanly in two, which ripped the front axle out of the transmission. This is something that should never happen and I will never buy a Ford again. 36,000 miles and the vehicle has never been in an accident. I'm just glad I didn't have my kids with me or was traveling at a higher rate of speed. What a shame.

The best SUV I've owned...with 2 issues
By Bob

2013 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I’ve been happy with every Ford I’ve purchased and this Explorer is no different. I am thoroughly happy with my purchase and was surprised with what this vehicle has to offer. I expected the XLT to have the very basic options and was I wrong.

I’m a 6’-2” 240lb man that is used to driving full-size trucks and SUVs and this one has plenty cabin room. This is the first Explorer I’ve purchased because I never cared for the exterior of older models. In my opinion, Ford nailed it with this model. Ours has the black leather interior with the Ford My Touch system. It has all of the bells and whistles that a premium SUV would have at an XLT price. I’m sure the Limited and Sport additions have more to offer but, this one fit our family perfectly at a good price. We have 2 teenagers (14 & 19) so we’ve never used the third row. They’re typically stowed away. The heated seats are great and the rear-controlled AC/Heat keeps the kids happy. The panoramic sunroof is great and operates easily. Road noise is noticeable but bearable.
There is plenty of storage and the cubby under the touch screen is practically bottomless. The instrument cluster is easy to read and the steering wheel mounted controls look like something you would see in a fighter jet. You can control just about everything from the steering wheel. There are secondary displays (secondary to the touch screen) inside the cluster that shows all sorts of information that you can scroll through with the controls on the wheel. It took me over an hour to go through all of the options (bit of a gadget geek here).

With that being said, the My Touch navigation is horrible…even after updating the software to the latest version. The voice commands are useless, the lady in the NAV system is a nag and everything dealing with the NAV system is slow. I’ll just continue to use my cell phone. The entertainment, climate control and cell phone connection portions of the My Touch are great. The Bluetooth connects flawlessly and Sirius connects with no issues. I love the various connections (USB, SD Card, AUX) and you can charge the entire family’s cell phones at the same time. Climate control is easy to use by either the My Touch or by its own touch sensitive controls.

As mentioned above, Ford nailed the exterior styling with this model. I’m always getting comments on how good it looks and when family and friends sit inside, they are amazed at the interior (I know…sounds like a commercial). Ours came with a tow package (typical 2” receiver and light connections) and has a 300lb bumper rating (enough for my son’s motorcycle and carrier). One thing I would change is the tow hitch receiver cover. It’s kind of cheap looking and you can easily see the indentions made from the receiver. Nothing big, but it’s mentionable. Also, the rear window does not open separately from the hatch. Most SUVs I’ve owned had this feature which was nice. Not sure if this is what all manufactures are doing. Again…not a big deal to me. The standard 18” wheels are stylish but not too much.

For an SUV, this one handles better than any other SUV I’ve owned. You don’t feel top-heavy when taking corners and traction is pretty good, even in wet conditions. Ground clearance is typical for an on-road SUV and getting in/out of it is easy.

The biggest issue I have with this SUV is the acceleration…it’s like a worn out rubber band. I know it’s not a sports car but come on. This could be a turn-off for some people. I’m averaging 19 MPG with mixed city/highway driving (Atlanta, GA). It shifts smooth and the exhaust is quiet.

Overall I’m happy with my purchase and would recommend this SUV to family and friends.

Do I Buy out my leased 2013 Explorer Sport?
By Glenn

2013 Ford Explorer Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I love my vehicle. With 42,000 miles out of the 45,000 3 year lease commitment, I naturally was ready to lease a 2016. In reading the other reviews, I thought this would be helpful to others who have been leasing for 20 years+ like me. I have decided to purchase my 2013 instead of leasing a new 2016 AND include the purchase of a 3 year 45,000 mile extended warranty. It will cost a total of $28,500 when 2013's appear to be selling between $30,000 and $33,000 in my area of the country (Northeast). The 2016's are just as nice, but not much different, so I'm not anxious to jump into another $550+/month lease given the bird in the hand that I have now.