Used 2013 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

2013 explorer sport shortcomings
By Evan Edwards

2013 Ford Explorer Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

Have a 2013 ford explorer sport black on black. Fantastic looking vehicle and have been pleased overall until the warranty ran out. Currently at 38000 which is 2000 over. Basically one month. Ac compressor locked up and caused belt to break which left vehicle without power steering and had to be towed. Ford said " too bad out of warranty, you owe $1100. ". Vehicle is 2.5 years old. This does not seem to be a normal item to malfunction so early on and am very disappointed that Ford is taking position of no responsibility. The sync system is as bad as others say. Never worked as advertised which had been a major incentive to buy the vehicle. Also the rear parking aid stopped working and I considered that to be a minor concern but perhaps it's more indicative of future things to come. I was happy that ford had turned things around in 2009 and felt good about the purchase but not anymore. Can't imagine what I would do had the transmission failed instead of just the ac.

Randy's Explorer
By Randy Kennedy

2013 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My 2013 Ford Explorer is very attractive, comfortable, and has all the features that I want and need. It drives great and the instrumentation is convenient and easy to operate. It does a great job of towing my bass boat and transporting passengers. It is rated at 24 mpg, but I recently got 25.4 mpg on a trip from Alabama to Missouri and return.

Would not do it again
By brewbaby

2013 Ford Explorer 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I leased my 2013 brand new. After lease was up I bought it. From the beginning I've had many electrical issues, the headlight switch buzzes, my rear dome light stays on no matter what draining my battery. The radio continues to play even after I've exited the vehicle. The transmission has failed on me a couple times not making it past 2nd gear in automatic. The slope of the hood makes it easy for any little thing to chip the paint. Visibility is poor. Gas mileage is ridiculous for a 3.5L. I've had 2 recalls on it, Ford had it for a whole month. The computer failed and had to be reconfigured. It's a pos and I'd take my money back in a heart beat.

Don't Drive At Night!!!
By carefulswede

2013 Ford Explorer 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I traded a Honda Pilot (2005) for the Explorer, and initially loved it! It rides well, handles well and is great on snow. Recurring problems with the parking brake freezing up and burning up pads is still an issue but the bigger gripe is lousy headlights. Unlike traditional headlights' low beams that direct most of their light toward the right side of the road, these drop a mask that cuts off all light above a certain height, continuing to spread lower angle light across the front L to R. Cresting a hill you blind the oncoming drivers. Going into a dip, your forward view shortens radically. Road signs are often unreadable unless you use high beams. Terrible design!

Four wheel drive, decent mileage

Recall the headlights and replace with a safer and better thought-out design. If I had test driven this car at night, I probably wouldn't have bought it. Having driven it 20,000 miles - daytimes are great, nights really are a lousy experience. I may have to dump this vehicle early (I usually keep my cars for 8-9 years and 160,000 miles) - Currently considering keeping it only until the warrantee is up and buying an SUV with lights as good as my Pilot. It's a shame, 'cause I love driving it in daylight - absolutely hate it at night. Did not have these issues with my 2005 Honda Pilot, 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan and 2003 Dodge Dakota. p.s. I own Ford stock (cringe!)

2013 Ford Explorer Limited
By 2013explorer

2013 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Love the Explorer. I am starting to dislike Ford. I have a rust spot on the rear lift gate and paint flaking off in the same area just on the other side of the license plate area. Ford refuses to repair because I have 52000 miles and the bumper to bumper warranty has expired. I would think an obvious defect in the paint process would be covered on a 2013 vehicle regardless of warranty status. Three service advisers at my local dealership all agree that Ford should fix this paint defect.

Good mileage, nice looking exterior and interior.

Ford should paint their vehicles better or stand by their product if problems arise.