2013 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Satisfied!
By danxthemann on 02/26/14 22:59 PM (PST)

2013 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have a 2013 Ford Explorer Limited and it's great to drive! I really enjoy it! Sometimes I wish it'd accelerate faster but that doesn't take away from how gorgeous and luxurious looking it is!! The interior quality is very luxurious and well done! A MAJOR upgrade from it's older model. This is my second ford and they never seem to disappoint. I know longer drive my '07 BMW because I'm enjoying this so much!

Never again will I buy a Ford
By voltguy on 01/28/14 10:56 AM (PST)

2013 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Much to my frustration the Explorer has been an epic fail on both. Even with the EcoBoost it averages under 17 mpg, and as for snow it is one of the worst vehicles I have ever driven in snow. I get stuck in my driveway with as little as 1” of snow. I can’t make it up an incline without the wheels spinning even though all my neighbors can get up the street with no problems. Even with the traction control off the car makes grinding noises when the wheels spin. And to turn the traction control off you have to go 4 menus deep. I also have issues will it hesitating when pressing the gas and the GPS. Half the time is doesn't remember settings.

My Explorer is Fantastic
By rockreddog on 01/12/14 08:47 AM (PST)

2013 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have the Limited 202a package with 22,500 miles and is performing as advertised. Most of the Neg. comments are AWD models or Base models. You get what you pay for! My sync is excellent and you need to be a little Comp. savvy, if not you will have some issues, but all in all very minor. The Optimo H426 tires if pressurized to tire manufactures specs 46 psi they give a rough ride, but if you tone them down to ford recommendations at 35 psi the ride is much better. As far as room, I'm a huge dude and I have plenty of room. The people that are complaining need to by a van and need to get a clue! fold the third row seating down and there is plenty of room for four people plus cargo.

My Newest Sweetheart
By christopher977 on 01/10/14 20:00 PM (PST)

2013 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is a truly marvelous SUV. Styling is a head turner w/20 inch wheels, well sculpted body and body creases. Corners great with its unitized body and the interior coddles its passengers with plush leather seats, an ABUNDANCE of space in all rows, intuitive tech features and a wonderfully clear, 13 speaker stereo. I love the solidity of driving in our nasty Chicago winters while the terrain management system makes short work of 10 inches of untouched snow and my wife and I are treated to heated seats, satellite radio and warm cocoa. Summers are also a treat under the dual sunroofs. This car was designed heavily based on the Land Rover and I swear somedays I forget that it isn't one!

Review after 9 months of ownership
By missfc on 01/09/14 15:59 PM (PST)

2013 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My 1st Ford ever, I'm a 40 yr old woman, driving all my life. What I hate about the Explorer: the harsh ride on bumps when you're going over 20mph. It's a soft ride at very low speeds. Also the insulation is insufficient and you hear every pothole very loudly inside the cabin almost like a wheel fell off or something. I also HATE the rattling, squeaking, noises it makes from the dashboard and console area at only 8,000 miles. I only drive on roads, can't imagine how it will fall apart if I actually went off roading. Also, on a cold day, the ignition refused to turn on when leaving from a grocery store one day. Called roadside assistance. Car hates cold, makes weird noises till it warms up.

Worst Vehicle I've Ever Owned!!
By honestguy on 01/09/14 05:48 AM (PST)

2013 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is my last Ford. I have had nothing but problems with it over last year! Ford service doesn't know how or cant fix the long list of issues. Pathetic! The navigation doesnt allow anyone to use it while driving, even passenger, and is super complicated. I use my phone now. Hvac is all messed up, locking on hi heat while on max low a/c. Fuel feed hesitates when accelerating so it nearly gets u into accidents when quick acceleration from stop or in traffic needed. Too many other items to list. Please avoid at all costs. I paid for leather and nav $2200 outta pocket as this is company car and I was gonna buy it for wife after 70K miles cheap. After 45K, I just want rid of it! Hate it!!

Not a luxury SUV but who cares it is fun
By vitgor on 09/20/13 21:16 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I use this vehicle private and for business (agriculture). The AWD works very well for driving around on fields. Only the front spoiler under the bumper is quite low. The room is enough and it feels very roomy. Somehow this Explorer is really fun to drive.

REALLY LIKE MY EXPLORER
By 0jay on 08/04/13 07:18 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The only issue I have is the Third row you can only on get in on the drivers side. Not much room back there. Wish I had mode lighting on this one. Gas is not as good as my Edge but I knew this before I got it.

Best one yet
By gregg25 on 07/30/13 21:39 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had 2 prior Explorers and a GMC Envoy SUV's. These were great cars but no where near is nice as this 2013 Explorer. The vehicle is very comfortable, quiet, roomy, yet not that big. It drives and rides like a car and tows like a truck. We can fit our grand children's car seats in the second and third rows and still have room for the adults. The seats flip and fold very easy. It tows my 3500 lb boat with 6 people effortlessly. My touch-sync is great. Needed a couple of re-boots but now is great. Getting 23 MPG highway and mixed driving 18, much better then prior SUV's. My 6'3" son in law was comfortable in every seat including the third row with his 5 year old son in a car seat.

No Leg Room
By nolegroom45 on 07/23/13 13:09 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased a 2013 Ford Explr XLT 2 weeks ago. After test driving the vehicle I did not notice the lack of leg room as I was too busy playing with the MyTouch and working the mirrors to even bother. On my way home after purchasing the vehicle, I had a cramp and went to stretch out my left (non driving) leg. It was met abruptly by the "dead petal". After I got home I tried many ways to reduce the "dead petal" but could not get it to work with my size. I am only 6'3" which is taller than average but I am no giant. I wouldn't recommend this vehicle to anyone who is taller than 6 feet. My mother's 2002 Explr has all the leg room in the world. Not sure why Ford made the new ones so small.

1 2 3 4 5 next »

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Ford Explorer in WA is:

$202 per month*