Used 2013 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Do I Buy out my leased 2013 Explorer Sport?
By Glenn

2013 Ford Explorer Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I love my vehicle. With 42,000 miles out of the 45,000 3 year lease commitment, I naturally was ready to lease a 2016. In reading the other reviews, I thought this would be helpful to others who have been leasing for 20 years+ like me. I have decided to purchase my 2013 instead of leasing a new 2016 AND include the purchase of a 3 year 45,000 mile extended warranty. It will cost a total of $28,500 when 2013's appear to be selling between $30,000 and $33,000 in my area of the country (Northeast). The 2016's are just as nice, but not much different, so I'm not anxious to jump into another $550+/month lease given the bird in the hand that I have now.

bad headlights
By dan watts

2013 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

test drive it at night the headlights are horrible . had i test drove it at night it would of been a deal braker.i can only drive it in the day time.

Awesome Track Suv!
By Moses Alvarez

2013 Ford Explorer Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I have a 2013 Sport Black on Black. This Suv looks great, the interior is nice, and the performance is awesome. When Im driving this bad boy around town, peoplw in other Suvs and sometimes cars always want t race me and I destroy them everytime. So one day I took this to the track, and ran a 14.07 bone stock! So I decided to do a livernois Stage 3 Tune and now Im doing Mid to High 12's in an Suv!!! This Suv is just awesome, the EcoBEAST engine is phenomenal. 5 out of 5 stars in performance EASY. Sure there may be a lot of plastic pieces, compared to a Range Rover or BMW X5, but the interior is very decent for an american Suv. Plus when you know your faster than all of them, who cares am I right?? My wife even enjoys leaving the other Soccer Moms behind in their Mazda CX-9s, Chevy Traverse, Honda Oddyssey's etc... All in all, this things is a Rocket and I am so glad I decided to purchase this over a Grand Cherokee SRT, AND I get a THIRD ROW!! WAY TO GO FORD!!!! Highly Recommend!

Do your own homework before reading these reviews
By carpens@alfredstate.edu

2013 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my car used with 30000 miles on it in perfect condition. I fell in love with it when i saw that it had everything that i needed and more. As a mom this car fit all my needs, and it was way better than my mini van. The My Ford Touch is wonderful! it can find even the hardest of places on the GPS and never fails on me. i have to admit at first i was a little overwhelmed with the touch sensitive buttons and all the buttons on the steering wheel, but i found myself quickly learning and it wasn't that hard. I have had no problems with my Explorer just the usual maintenance. the only thing i have found i do not like is when the third row head rests are up it does make it hard to see out the back but the fix was just not having them up when they were not in use, but that is also why the backup camera is a dream, and the other thing is it is a bit slow when trying to get up and go, but I'm also used to a mini van that had a lot of get up and go power behind it. As i was reading these reviews i started to second guess myself because of all the negative comments people had to say about theirs, but people need to realize that not everything can be perfect and that sometimes parts are defective. There is no perfect car brand they all have the problems. with that i am still in love with my car and everything about it!

Crazy NOT to own one!!!!
By Josh

2013 Ford Explorer Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

This is absolutely the best vehicle I've ever owned. Great handling in the snow, slush and rain. Fuel economy 15 driving in city and 25 on Highway using adaptive cruise control. Drive conservative and fuel economy is great. Heavy on the gas and watch the fuel gauge drop.

• SUV