2012 Ford Explorer: MyFord Touch Saga Continues
August 13, 2012
Stop me if you've heard the one about MyFord Touch and our 2012 Ford Explorer. For those of you new to this saga, the original system was deeply flawed so we went in for an update. Well, since then we had to trip the master reset once. And then this weekend happened.
Take a look at the picture. There are several things out of whack here:
1) The car is in reverse, but the backup camera is not on.
2) In the top, right corner "navigation unavailable" is displayed.
3) Note: I blacked out the address to protect the innocent. That was frozen also.
4) The center home screen button was pressed (gray), but nothing happened.
5) The clock reads 9:03, but it is in fact 2:15.
In summary, MFT seized up again. I was out running errands. But even after cycling the car off and on 5-6 times, the issue remained. At one point, I turned off the car, exited, closed and locked the door, yet the radio was still playing. That couldn't be good, I thought. Then this happened...
When I started the car back up this time, it automatically rebooted. Thirty seconds later the "scheduled system maintenance" completed and it was as if nothing happened at all. MyFord Touch worked fine again. Should that make me feel better?
Mike Schmidt, Vehicle Testing Manager @ 19,395 miles