Rock Solid, Fun to drive, great on gas, value for money...
By jacob40 on
2012 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)
I was not a big fan of American vehicles, after considerable research and after waiting one year I purchased a 2012 full lodaded XLT model, my first American vehicle. After 45 days & 2500 km, I am glad I made this choice, do not have any problems to report except for some samll glitches in the voice command, need to get the software updated. The Exterior looks great, engine is crisp and refined. Overall the vehicle feels rock solid, the stiffer suspension provides a nice sporty ride. Engine power delivery is excellent with the torque peaking at lower rpm compared to competition. The interior is rich and sophisticated which you typically find in more expensive luxury SUVs.
Favorite Features
>Sophisticated interior > Voice command > My Fordtouch > Dual Panel moon roof > Rear camera > Great fuel Mileage Overall mileage until now is 11.1 Lit/100km over 2566km. (Avg amb temp: 15 Deg C to -15 Deg C. Includes long traffic backs up during snow) Last week I tested the Explorer for fuel efficiency over 312 km & 3 days. 85% on straight stretches of road within the city (Calgary) and rest in stop and go traffic and achieved 9.34 lit/100km, which is close to the published hwy mileage of 8.8Lit/100km. (Limited speed within 90 to 105 kmph, average amb temp: 8 Deg C to 5 Deg C. Each trip about 35 km) Conclusion: The published figs are achievable after break in & during summer.
Suggested Improvements
>Lockable gas tank > Desirable to have at least 9" ground clearence. With the overall higher height of the vehicle this could be easily achived with some careful design consideration to the underbelly, keeping the same CG of the vehicle. > Easier acess to the third row seats. (Though once you get in, the seats are comforatble for two 5',9" adults) > More detailed owners manual > Dash should indicate the running gear. The dash already provide a wealth of infomation to the analytical guy, but this one more piece would have made it complete. > The location of the select shift switch should be ideally located on the steering wheel rather than the manual shift lever.